France v Brazil [R]

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 1, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'm going France 3-2 or on pens.

Cause I think so and because Waldo thinks so... he was the one who implied Sven would lose it for England and he certainly did!

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm thinking Brazil, 2-1. They finally show-up, today, and revenge their '98 loss to France.

Plus, I don't want an all European affair. Boring.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

France looks the better team thus far at halftime. Not sure if that will translate into a win, but Brazil once again looks lethargic. Since when does the most exciting and talented team play a 4-5-1? It just baffles me.

4. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Boy, France is really handing it to Brazil, huh?
    A few thoughts:
    France is pressing--hard. Brazil seems to be laying back, content with the occasional chance. If they're going to win, they need to step it up.
    Why did Juan not get a red card, extra defender or no? That was a hard, studs-up, from-behind tackle. A little surprising all he got was the yellow.
    Can we PLEASE fire J.P. Dellacamera and John Harkes? And what happened to Adrian Healy and Tommy Smyth? I loved Healy's distinct English-ness, counterpointed by Smyth's stereotypical Irish brogue (which seems, at times, to be enhanced by a few whiskeys).

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If you didn't hear Della Camera say it 6 times in the first 25 minutes, ZZ is 34 years old and is retiring from club and country after the WC.

Am I the only one who thinks that Henry has so many offsides calls because Zidane is taking a little longer to deliver the ball than he would have a couple of years ago?

I smell penalties!

6. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Did you know that Zidane's 34 and retiring from club and country after the WC? I haven't heard JP say anything about it in the last 4-1/2 seconds, so I wanted to make sure no one would forget.
    I think it ends 1-1 and we get yet ANOTHER round of pens--and Brazil actually pulls it out, then goes on to beat Portugal and gets destroyed by Germany. Don't put money on that, though.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: France v Brazil [R]

I have been saying this for years, the French coaching staff has no clue how to use Henry. The coaching staff needs to talk with Arsene Wenger about how to best use Henry. As was the case four years and in Euro 2004, Henry has not been able to play at his best in this World Cup. The system France is using does not maximize Henry's talent.

For one, I think Henry needs someone else, a pure striker, like Trezeguet, up front with him. And I also think they need to let Thierry run at people from the left side as we see him so often and successfully in the Premiership. Henry never runs at people for France. It seems as though France plays Henry in the same role Manchester United plays Ruud Van Nistelrooy. The big difference is that Van Nistelrooy is suited for this kind of role. Henry, definitely is not.

I think Brazil will figure out a way to score and win this 1-0.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: RE: France v Brazil [R]

Nice goal by Henry, but I still think you're right.

Where is Kaka today. I'm used to his magic and I've hardly seen him in the first 60 minutes.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

France is definitely playing with more passion and excitement. Typically, the Brazilian way. But Brazil looks slow and like they are lacking motivation.

Ribery is running crazy all over the mid and front. Zidane is showing fantatstic ball control. And Henry has now shown why he is one of the best finishers. Looks like we are on the way to an all European semi and final.

Just over a week ago, everyone was asking whether France could make it out of their Group. No question that have continued to improve in this Cup.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Also,.....

High Def in Spanish on Univision is much, much more exciting than ESPN's pretenders.

What a win by France.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dunno when I'm gonna learn to just call games like this by a goal... instead of predicting score.

Ignorant

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I can't remember seeing Brazil play like that in a cup competition. They didn't really play with any verve or conviction until there were about 10 minutes left in the game.

France looked full measure for their win. Amazing.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

France deserved the victory, and Brasil deserved an early exit. I can't belive they waited so long to put all those offensive players on the field. I felt like I was watching the US team out there, completely fustrating.