Flying the Flag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jun 14, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I just got back from a short drive around my stomping grounds -- Leon Valley -- and didn't notice any more flags than usual. Don't people know that:

a. it's Flag Day AND
    b. it's the 233rd birthday of the United States Army [that's older than Pettyfog AND me put together :shock: ]

Fly your flags, folks; salute our freedom and the men and women who protect it.

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Every day is Flag Day at the Casa de Steve

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Thanks for the reminder Don. I couldn't agree with you more.

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Flags are only divisive things. Get rid of em.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

:roll:

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

You wouldn't like my view on the US army then either.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

You'll have to look for someone else to engage you in the pissing contest you apparently are seeking.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He'll be fine once the NBA playoffs are over.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Actually Don, these views are my actual views. Nothing about pissing contests or anything like that. I actually despise ALL flags. I'm an equal opportunity person on this too. When I say all flags I mean all flags. They are divisive.

Same with the Army. They don't protect freedom, but carry out Western Interests which could give a shit about freedom. Just like the Russian army is there to build their interests. Armies have nothing to do with freedom.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Thanks for the post Don!

While I respect your right to carry that belief perhaps next time you could show the good judgement to post it in a seperate thread rather than posting in one that is meant to honor and respect both this county and those that do choose to protect and serve it.

11. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

BUT this is about what this thread is supposed to represent.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

FFC24, you ignorant slut.

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Ignorant slut? I'm neither ignorant nor a slut. Did I strike a nerve?

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, he's obviously too young for the good days of SNL. Nice shot, though.

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Am I missing something? I never watch that show, so clue me in.

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I believe the line was "Jane your an ignorant slut" and was used in a common skit mocking political debate. Jane would make a point and the guy would call Jane an ignorant slut. It predates me but my dad loved it.

You got me a thinkin' 24! Fulham needs to abandon their crest and colors. There just divisive you know. In fact we should just drop the name, its the right thing to do, we wouldn't want to enable the use of such a divisive instrument such as a name to cause unnecessary conflict and hurt feelings. From here on the 20 teams in the Premier League should be named team A, team B, team C, until team T but those teams could not possibly be allowed to play in the Premier League. Because the notion that the league is "Premier" and all its symbols that imply such a superiority are divisive and are probably just tools to turn us against one another rather than our corporate masters. So what we need is a nice homogeneous non divisive name. Like umm...umm... Oh fug it. You know what? We as a people can not permit soccer to exist. Thats what. Its to offensive, its divisive, its hindering our ability to simultaneously bring anarchy and communism to the world.

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Lol thats a good one Spencer. In all reality though with or without flags we would still be divided by cultural differences and beliefs. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks the way you do 24. Our soldiers give their lives so you can think that way and when you dissed them like that I just became a pissed man. Sure they promote the flawed western way of thinking but without them we'd be overrun and subject to tyranny and you'd be dead for saying something like that. I don't know but I think there's a reason why so many people have flocked here throughout the past few centuries.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

close, Spencer; actually it WAS "Jane, you ignorant slut!" and it was Dan Ackroyd's line to Jane Curtin. They were doing a parody of Shana Alexander and James J. Kilpatrick's "Point-Counterpoint" segments on 60 Minutes [both the parody and the original are LONG before 24's, Spencer's or Ianhux's time].

There was a 10-second parody of the Alexander/Kilpatrick act in the original Airplane movie, when the actor playing Kilpatrick responded with the "people should assume their own responsibility" conservative line by ending "they bought their tickets. I say 'let them die'."

19. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

24, I'm glad my joke didnt drive you off this thread. I was feeling too lazy to write something intelligent.

I can see how a person would feel the way you do about flags. Sure, they can be used in divisive ways. But so can a lot of good things.

To me flags represent a love greater than one's self; they are the essential recognition that there is something greater than yourself. They represent a group of people working together, freely in the case of the US, for a greater good. This is all very important in a world of 6 billion people.

This love and recognition of something greater really has led people to sacrifice everything so that people in our country (and other countries) could have a good life. People have worked their entire lives for us and have died for us. This is not a myth and it means something; it means a lot. The flag also honors these people and what they have done.

Because of what our flag represents we can sit at our computers and make jokes, talk about soccer, discuss politics, and say whatever we want. I feel pretty lucky when I see our flag.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Needless to say I totally disagree that the Flag and the army is anything good. They didn't die for my beliefs and they didn't die for freedom. we can go through every war and link it to bullshit imperialism or western Interests. Sure, soldiers might think they fought for something good, but even my friends who have been in the army realized that war was only fought for the fat cats and nothing more. You lot must realize the bigger picture. The Iraqis are not my enemies, they're my brothers. The Vietnamese were not my enemies, they were my brothers. I will say this about every army in the world, not just the US. The English dominated with their army, the Germans tried to exterminate every Jew,Gypsy,Gay etc around, The Spanish ripped apart Indian culture,The French tried to control its many colonies like Haiti,The Israelis are currently trying to cleans Palestine etc etc. Armies are no good and they have never fought and died for the greater good. I say this as somebody who had both of my grandfathers land on Normandy and in Italy. There time was wasted.