First Foreign coach for US WNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

US Soccer announced Pia Sundhage will coach the US WNT through the 2008 Olympics. She is the first foreign coach for a US team.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_3768322.html

It sounds like a good choice, especially since I have recently heard former US players complain that the previous choice of Ryan was highly political. This sounds like a caoch with great playing and coaching experience. I also think this is a good place to put our first foreign coach of a national team. Given the high expectations there always are for our womens team, a European coach might be able to help with that sort of pressure.

Does anyone think we'll get a foreign coach on the men's side anytime soon?

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Clevelandmo, I would've bet the house Klinsmann was going to be appointed (still think he would love to coach this upcoming group of offensive talent, who knows if the team struggles early in qualifying).
    I think a foreign coach will be get the gig if this upcoming WC run is a
    disappointment.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, not sure where you've been, but it's unusual for the USMNT to have an American coach. At least since the late 1980s, I think we've only had three. I'd prefer to keep Bradley through 2010. I think he's more level-headed than Arena, and I don't know how many "Sexy names" want to mess with trying to field sides for meaningful internationals when MLS doesn't observe FIFA-mandated weekends off.

4. Clevelandmo

Hatter, I wasnt a soccer fan until late 2005 so I dont have much history. I'm sorry for the error, I must be dreaming or crazy. I swear the headline said "First Foreign coach" in big black letters. Then I looked at the article again and it was no where to be found. Deep in the article it says "first foreign coach of the US team". Which must mean the women's team only. Anyway, I'm glad the US team has a female coach and a new start. I'll remove the ''sexy" but oh so wrong subject line.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

sorry, mo. I was just "returning with us now to those Bora Multinovic days of yesteryear." I was relieved when we finally starting having yanks in charge.

I think the big mistake on all these guys is staying too long. I think you hire a guy after the World Cup with the idea that he'll be the coach until after the next Cup. I really do think it's a good idea to cap the guy at four years, though. Case in point? 1970 England team. The '66 team that won the World Cup has been slagged so much as overrated it makes me want to cry. It was a great team with a great coach. The 1970 team should have been even better, but the coach couldn't let go of the guys who won in '66 and wound up with some strange sides in Mexico. England had the talent to win it all that year, but the coach that made them champs in '66 made them chumps in '70.

Hmm, where were we?

6. Clevelandmo

New coach - US WNT named

SoCalJoe, I was hoping for klinsmann myself. I just loved his excitement on the sideline during the 2006 WC. Also thought he was proved correct for standing by his choice of goalie (Lehmann?). However, have you read the Beers With Wynalda article on this site? Wynalda said he's a bad guy and the US does not want him as a coach.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

clevelandmo, like most coaches that were superstar players, ego is always a factor, so it's not surprising that some people have a dissenting view of him. However, I've never seen a German team play like they did this last WC, and aside from the USMNT there was no other team I couldn't wait to see play.