Fear and loathing in the prem

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Shashlik, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Shashlik

Shashlik New Member

Not to beat a dead horse on the Wigan match....but there is an interesting bit of Fulham talk on The Game podcast with Danny Kelly - sponsored by The Times. They talk about CC's defensive lineup and whether it is indicative of a fear present in a lot of managers of mid- lower-table teams of getting sacked. One interesting suggestion - reduce the number of teams in the prem to 16. I suspect this is something that has been brought up on these boards before.....

Anyway, it's on i-tunes store at The Game podcast

also at:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,31329,00.html

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Guarantee ya.. there's many in the FA who think a 16 team league would be better, with relegation limited to just the bottom team. And at that, the promoted team would have to meet certain business related conditions.

The REAL best answer is the Prem-Euro model where you pull the Chelsea/ManU/Aresenal/Liverpool{?} teams OUT of the English Prem running

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I would remind you both that, back in the dark ages of the 1880s through 1980s, the 22 team 1st division was very competitive. There was only one team who had ever won three championships in a row [Huddersfield!], and only three who had done the league and FA cup double [Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool -- or were their four and ManU did it?]. Reducing the leagues had the effect of concentrating focus on Europe and creating a huge wedge between the 3 or 4 money spinners and the rest of the pack.

Going from the old system to the Prem has had the effect of turning England's top division into what you see in Scotland [Celtic/Rangers/who?], Spain [Real Madrid/BarcaLounger/who?], and Holland [Ajax/PSV/who?]. Reducing it to 16 would go even further in that direction.

The best "play to win" scenario they ever developed was making a win worth three times as many points as a draw. Used to be only 2 points for a win, and teams tended to always play for a draw on the road, and in the case of Arsenal in the 70s-90s, most of the time at home also.

I'd leave the league structure alone, and work a little harder on inclucating a winning culture.

4. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Fewr teams means more competitive games. Players are required to play far too many games with two domestic cups, Europe (the UEFA Cup being the biggest offender) and a 20 team premiership. Reduce the league to 16 teams, get rid of the league cup and make the UEFA Cup a knock-out competition again. Demand more quality and not quantity.

PS As a sidenote...baseball and basketball should also take notes.

5. pettyfog

Splitting hairs, Don.... another time another pay scale.

But I'll use both your examples and ask:

What if the top teams got promoted out? If they were already IN the Uefa league, there would not be a Uefa Cup/Champions LEague conflict.

But, by the way... where is all the talent going to come from? Look at where the current US most attractive player {not ADU!} learned his craft... on the sandlot

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

How do the teams that get promoted up (to UEFA), get relegated down?

I want a full business plan Fog, not small glimpses of what could possibly be a good idea.

7. pettyfog

Same way as UP... if they're bottom of Uefa, they belong in prem..

BTW, why do I need be so specific? Anyone else?

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Define "bottom".

In this day and age of ideas, we need specifics. Especially from 'The World's Foremost Authority'.

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

The premier leaguge came about for only one reason only - the top flight teams wanted control of the television revenue. Reducing to 20 teams was a spin off to ease fixture congestion in europe.

A european super league will exist when the top 12 clubs in Europe feel they are powerful enough to break away. There will be no promotion and relegation to that league. Could you imagine if a team like Fulham or Luton or Kiderminster Harriers dared to get promoted. The league will be invite only. (BTW Chelsea are not considered good enough as they are new money - not like Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U).

When it happens the only way to deal with it is to cancel the teams subscriptions to their national FA, this would prevent the teams taking part in any FA, FIFA or UEFA competition and remove them from recognition. I would suspect FIFA would not have the nuts to sanction it.