FCC tries to muck up cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 29, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

This could have been posted under any of the other categories here, but it's worrying, wherever it is.

The FCC is seriously considering extending its own venue once cable is installed in 70% of US homes.

Why does this matter?

Remember not long ago, some on the FCC thought it would be a good idea to force providers to offer channels individually instead of 'blocks' or tiers?
    Sounded like a good idea, pay only for what you want to see..indeed it was referred to as 'a la carte'.

But it would have significantly increased cable bills for those who watch a variety of channels... and what would you do as your moods, tastes and whims change? Like mine do.

The rather weak argument from the 'regulation advocates' is that when cable is in 70%, somehow there is an implicit monopoly. No one is more pissed off at the lack of competition in most markets.. especially my little burg.. than I am. However, I DO HAVE CHOICES.

I can use a satellite provider. I can back off to Antenna/Broadcast stations. And continue to use telco broadband.

So, reluctantly I have to side with TW and Comcast, much as I hate that.

It's sort of like Churchill said about 'Democracy as a form of government'

If you want more info...
    TV Train Wreck
    Martin, markets, and the potential for regulatory disaster.