FBI: Handcuffs off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 18, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Don't be obtuse. He wants it in place so that the next administration will be forced to continue his policies.

FBI minus Constitutional restrictions = a national police force with unquestioned power.

3. pettyfog

Does.not.compute.

Seems to me he basically just wants to tear down Jamie Gorelick's Wall.

My original opinion stands. Are you afraid of Obama misusing it?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes.

The restrictions exist because presidents have misused this power in the past. I don't want a larger, more intrusive government -- regardless of the party of the president who is in office. And I especially don't want to see a national police force, national identity cards, and MORE abuse of arrest and detention of people based on "the War on Terror."

How about you? Are you only concerned about "Big Government" when it's led by a Democrat? I mean, you have the most powerful, intrusive, abusive, deficit spending, federalism shredding, law flouting government in history, and you can hardly bring yourself to criticize anything about the last 8 years.

5. pettyfog

Yes... but, gee, it all comes down to a matter of degree, and trust doesnt it? Do I have to point out AGAIN that FBI middle management failed to heed the warning signs leading to 9/11? For the exact reason stated?

"Most" doesnt get it with me. I dont agree that this will result in unbridled police state. The FBI would have to go a stretch to match that abrogation exhibited by various local agencies.

What I would worry about FIRST is freedom of voicing dissent.