Evolution of the USMNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FulhamAg, Oct 13, 2009.

1. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I caught some of FFF last night and they had a number of former players on discussing the WC qualification for the US. Wynalda, Lalas, Murray couldn't help comparing themselves in 94 to this side. Their opinion was the only difference is that the depth is 2-3 x's greater. They felt the talent was the same.

I didn't really follow the USMNT closely at that time (started really paying attention in '02) so I don't know how much my .02 is worth. But I have a hard time seeing any of that trifecta cracking the starting XI on this team. Sure, a guy like Ramos would, and picking a GK out of Freidel, Keller & Howard would be a wonderful nightmare to have, but aside from the depth issue I can't say I agree with them.

What say you? Are they right? And who do you think from 94 could make this squad?

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

The game is evolving as well so it is hard to say. I think they would have been in the mix - they were solid and blue collarish in their approach to the game, and we need that at times. There would have been a time and a place for them.

I dont know that there is a lot of depth in the squad now, but I suppose that if you are talking comparison - there is more now then back then.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

They were saying you had 10-12 guys capable of international play, after that the drop off was pretty big back then. Now you have about 30 guys who can play and/or contribute on that level.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Yeah - I heard that as well, but I dont think I buy that.

Look what happened against Brazil when we had to go to our bench! Seemed we had nothing but greater liabilities.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

wasn't one of those liabilities Conor Casey?

To answer Ag's initial question, I think a healthy Tab Ramos would pull the #10 shirt on for any USAMNT best XI since time began. Aside from that, I don't think so. Wynalda would make the bench and maybe Earnie Stewart [dead ball artist] and Cobie Jones [raw speed to terrorize full backs]. But I don't think any of the other 94ers could crack our current squad. I don't think even Lalas or Tom Dooley or Meola would get a look in. Let's just hope it keeps evolving.

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

You cant be serious with that Conner Casey comment.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Wynalda was as good a finisher as the USA has ever produced, IMO (his goals record would still stand if not for all the penalties Landon has taken), and I think he'd be right there in the mix with our present crop of forwards. (Not an automatic starter like Tab Ramos might be, but I don't think that's what he was saying in any case.) Similarly, I think I'd take Eddie Pope in his prime against just about any defender I've seen play for the USA; like Ramos, it's a shame he could never stay healthy.

8. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Wanna see a current Player that is comparable to The '94, look no further than Heydude. Depend more on hustle and grit, and less on talent, because they didn't have as much.

Tab would have a place in midfield. He's Feilhaber without all of the psychological hang-ups.

Lalas would slot right in next to Gooch, and provide a sizeable center-back line.

Wynalda would be somewhere between Dempsey and Donovan. Not as imposing as Dempsey, not as quick as Donovan. But how do you rule out the USMNT's highest scoring player, until Donovan only recently broke that mark?

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'd like to think Cobi would walk into the lineup. I don't see any other winger on the team who could terrorize the full backs with his pace. He was a pretty damn good player. I've only been watching since 2002, but he couldn't of been worse before then.

Was Reyna on the 94 team? If so, he starts. Great player and captain.

Other than those 2 and the already mentioned other guys, nobody else would start. The team has greatly improved since then and they didn't have a Donovan or Dempsey or Gooch or any of those kinds of very talented players except Ramos.

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I think Reyna was on the the 94 team but didn't play due to injuries?

Wynalda would make the team, we don't have a lot of quality depth at the forward position right now. Cobi would be like a Beasley but stronger and not knocked down every time. And I would pick Cobi over Beasley any day.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

This has gotten the wheels turning. So how about an all-time all-star team. My first go at it:

-------------------------------- Frank Borghi -------------------------------

------- Pope -------- Gooch ------------------- Lalas ------ Agoos -------

----- Donovan -------- Ramos ---------- Reyna ---------- Wynalda -----

------------------- Gaetjens -------------------- McBride ------------------

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Stupid goalkeeper jokes, Christian? Or just taking the easy way out of deciding among Keller, Timmy, and Friedel?

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

A sentimental choice. Haven't you seen the movie??

I'd pick Friedel, but had to give props to someone who apparently took a shelling in the most significant win in USMNT history, so far.

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I saw Rudy.
    I mean all this reminds me of arguing about best Notre Dame team of all time.

Let's let the past bury the past. And look back.. Meola> Keller > Friedel was SETTLED. ANd I think Timmy will surpass Friedel.. though THAT will be contested.

15. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Frank Borghi grew up in my neighborhood. He occasionally comes to my kids' school and speaks and signs autographs.

I'm waaay to new to all this to offer any intelligent comments on an all-usa team, but I would support the choice of Borghi for sentimental reasons of my own.

16. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Really? Wow- that is cool! Now there is a great guy to do a 'beers with' interview.

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Oh snap!

JP, you have to do that. How old is Frank? Regardless, the format is find a local watering hole (perhaps one he considers one of his favorites), take a recorder, have a couple of drinks to loosen the tongue, turn on recorder, and just have a conversation.

Extra points for getting a Fulham mention in there.

If you need some ideas on questions, let me know.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and that's one of the most reasonable and defensible reasons for picking someone in a situation like this.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I love the shouts given to the old school guys! The book beats the movie (as usual).

20. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well for 2010 I fear we have lost our most effective forward and our best defender. I've heard nothing about Gooch but it looked like the typical no contact ACL injury that is a least a year to recover from. I hope I am wrong