Europa League Draw

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFC24, Aug 27, 2009.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Draw is tomorrow. Would you rather have a tough draw or easy draw? I'll weigh in later.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

24, at this point, I really don't care. We're in the group stages, so should have 4 or 6 more matches no matter what. As long as we're competitive, I'm happy.

3. Bradical

Bradical Member

Easy peasy draw, please. With AJ out and goals lacking lately, we'll need every advantage to continue this great little Euro run. Hopefully that last one we let in doesn't have a negative impact on our draw.

4. LOBO

LOBO New Member

I'm of the "it really doesn't matter" opinion, since I am happy with the plain and simple fact that Fulham has made to the group stages.

In my view, whether Fulham get an easy or tough draw, the team will be given the opportunity to compete against opposition that is not of the norm.

With that said, I wouldn't necessarily complain if we were given an easy draw though... :wink:

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Here are the pots for tomorrow's group stage draw:

(I'm pretty sure these are in coefficient order, with Fulham fortunately just above the cusp of pots 3 and 4.)

Tough to say much at this point, considering we could wind up grouped with Valencia/Everton/Genoa (ouch) or Panathinaikos/Lille/Ventspils (not so bad) based on the luck of the draw. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Pot 1:
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Werder Bremen
    Villarreal
    Roma
    PSV Eindhoven
    Sporting CP
    Hamburg
    Benfica
    Valencia
    Panathinaikos
    Ajax
    Steaua Bucureşti

Pot 2:
    Fenerbahçe
    Basel
    Lille
    Celtic
    Everton
    Club Brugge
    Heerenveen
    Galatasaray
    Anderlecht
    Austria Wien
    Copenhagen
    Lazio

Pot 3:
    Hertha Berlin
    Sparta Prague
    Dinamo Bucureşti
    AEK Athens
    Slavia Prague
    Levski Sofia
    Athletic Bilbao
    Partizan
    Hapoel Tel Aviv
    Twente
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Fulham

Pot 4:
    CSKA Sofia
    Toulouse
    CFR Cluj
    Genoa
    Rapid Wien
    Timişoara
    BATE
    Nacional
    Red Bull Salzburg
    Sturm Graz
    Ventspils
    Sheriff Tiraspol

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'd like for us to get teams like Valencia in our group. I think that the tougher the draw, the better for our experience which will translate into success in the Premier League. Plus, if we happened to get through in a tough group, our confidence could soar. Of course it could go the other way too, but I think the experience of playing in the Mestalla in Europe can't be passed up.

Either way, I'm with you guys and don't really care, but the tough draw is my preference.

8. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Thers no such thing as "Easy" games any more this is European football, take every match as it comes and like Don say's just hope we are compedative, a poor display will only end in getting knocked OUT!

COYW'S

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I hear Basel and I hear AS Roma ... Who will be the third team to finish below us?

It will be CKSA Sofia

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Everton draw Benfica, AEK (Athens), and BATE (who are they?). I think they got an easier draw.

Celtic got Rapid Vienna, Hamburg, and Hapoel [Tel Aviv] -- no easy run for them.

The toughest group looks to be Group D -- Sporting, Heerenveen, Herta Berlin, Ventspils

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

good draw i must say. dont see why we can't advance from it, but it wont be a cake walk.

and another trip to Eastern Europe for our English friends. So jealous!

And some trivia: guess which nations have the most clubs in the group stages?

Romania, Austria, and Holland. Who'd a thunk it?

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Everton should get an easier draw, since they were in a higher pot than Fulham.

I'm not crazy about this, mainly because of how Basel romped (8-2 aggregate win over Baku) in the playoff round. There weren't going to be any weak teams coming into the group out of Pot A (and getting Roma, as opposed to, like, PSV, increases the chances of games on TV), but we could've done better out of Pot B.

13. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

I echoed what some of you have already said on my blog this morning, it does not matter to me what happens from this point forward, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

I joked on facebook yesterday with my friend from Houston, who covers the Dynamo for a radio station there, that it would be neat to draw Roma since he's a huge Roma supporter. I got my wish 24 hours later.

I see this as a 3 way race for 2nd place in the group. It should be fun. Hopefully Gol TV or DirecTV will pick up the group stage as has been rumored off and on over the past several weeks.

14. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Here ya go...

Thurs 17 Sept: PFC CSKA Sofia v Fulham

Thurs 1 Oct: Fulham v FC Basel

Thurs 22 Oct: Fulham v AS Roma

Thurs 5 Nov: AS Roma v Fulham

Thurs 3 Dec: Fulham v PFC CSKA Sofia

Wed 16 Dec: FC Basel v Fulham

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

two weeks between matches 1 and 2
    three weeks between matches 2 and 3
    two weeks betwween matches 3 and 4
    four weeks between matches 4 and 5
    two weeks between matches 5 and 6

This is not exactly the "backbreaking two matches a week until Christmas" that the fearmongers were spouting. The only way we'll have anything like that is if we perform well in the League Cup. And we don't start in the FA Cup until January. Our squad's bigger, so ... Let's bet at 'em. It'd be nice to have 7 points from the first three matches.

16. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

7 points out of the first 3 matches would be awesome. Personally, I'd be happy with 4 or 6 points.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Love the draw. We got an easy 3 teams after Roma and we get to play Roma back to back. Let's be clear, Roma is the best team in the group stages and are probably better than Milan who are in the CL.Those games will be extremely tough, but I'm optimistic and think that if we can pull out a win in one of those 2 games, we could win the group.

Man, I'm so psyched to have our team get the chance to play against a team like Roma.

18. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

I like the draw... yeah we have Roma, but that maybe good for us. If we can get wins against Basel and CSKA Sofia and they draw against each other on the first round through the group, we should be able to put a strong team against Roma for one match and then evaluate whether we should rest our players for the second game or if we have a legitimate chance at taking points from them playing a strong team again.

Ultimately, I think how we do here is going to depend a lot on the league games we find mixed around these games.

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Don. You're forgetting a couple things in your "it's not 2 matches a week until Christmas."

- Sep 5 International Fixture
    - Sep 9 International Fixture
    - Sep 13 Premier League
    - Sep 17 Europa Cup
    - Sep 19 Premier League
    - Sep 23 Carling Cup
    - Sep 26 Premier League
    - Oct 1 Europa Cup
    - Oct 3 Premier League
    - Oct 10 International Fixture
    - Oct 14 International Fixture
    - Oct 19 Premier League
    - Oct 22 Europa Cup
    - Oct 24 Premier League
    - Oct 28 Carling Cup
    - Oct 31 Premier League
    - Nov 5 Europa Cup
    - Nov 7 Premier League
    - Nov 19 Premier League
    - Nov 24 Premier League
    - Nov 31 Premier League
    - Dec 2 Carling Cup
    - Dec 3 Europa Cup
    - Dec 5 Premier League
    - Dec 12 Premier League
    - Dec 16 Europa Cup
    - Dec 19 Premier League
    - Dec 26 Premier League
    - Dec 28 Premier League

Reschedule of the following:
    - Dec 2 Carling Cup (likely to Dec 9)
    - Dec 15 Premier League

I can't figure out what's happening on Nov 14. Regardless, we have a little breather in November, but for a big chunk of our team, it's 7 games in September, 9 in October, 5 in November, and 8 in December.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we'll bounce out of the Carling Cup in the 3rd [our first] round, and EVERY Prem team is going to have the same situation re-internationals. Besides that, we've got a larger, stronger squad than the one that finished 7th and made the quarters of the FA Cup.

Relax; it'll be fun.