Euro Nation's Cup Joke

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Sep 6, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In my living room, Germany is destroying San Marino 0-10, and there's still plenty of time left. It would seem that the time is long past to get the San Marinos, Lichtensteins, and Andorras of the world out of the cup competition proper. It's embarrassing -- almost as embarrassing as hearing "Deutchland Uber Alles" being sung by the visiting fans. Ah, for the old days when the Germans considered it "bad form" for them to display their world-renowned nationalism.

I don't want to hear any of the Euro types trashing the CONCACAF Gold Cup after these opening round jokes.

UPDATE: Final score -- Germany 13 goals, San Marino 1 corner. There was two minutes of stoppage time. What a travesty.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

From the ridiculous to the sublime: Northern Ireland 3 Spain 2!!!

3. martin

martin New Member

The entire population of the Most Serene Republic of San Marino (29,000) could fit in most any German football stadium with room to spare. They clearly do not belong in this competition.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Let them have their day in the sun, even if they get burned.

5. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Hey, San Marino has a guy in Serie C, they're legit!

Seriously though, coutries like this probably do make a ton of money on hosting these matches, so I'm sure they'd be happy to continue being a part of it.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am against booting any teams out of this competition. Perhaps the qualifiying can go through some changes, but every country deserves a chance to qualify. Even if 13-0 matches take place, I feel it is only fair these countries be given a chance.

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I think that the only way to eleviate the problem is to have the smaller country's play first and then the winner gets the challenge of England, Italy, France and the big bucks.

Plain and simple. There are so many International matches that it is really causing a strain on club football. IMO.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I agree. I don't want the smaller nations to be shut out entirely, but I think there need to be preliminary rounds to eliminate some of the Andorras, Faroe Islands, etc. Club fitba does suffer, as Mike says, and what a shame it would have been to have, say Michael Ballack suffer a season ending injury during that farce yesterday.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I like the idea of preliminary rounds. Perhaps the way the UEFA Cup is played and such. Three rounds of prelims followed by a smaller group stage with winners from the groups advancing to Euro 2008, etc. Nice idea!

10. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

UEFA could easily use the same coefficients used to judge how many CL/UEFA Cup entries each FA gets to determine pre-qualifiers. However, there are really only a small handful of countries with no chance of winning anything. I'm not sure if making only 5 teams (out of 40 some) go through an extra stage is really necessary.

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

There will still be a problem though as club leagues around Europe will still have to have "International breaks" even for the small countries. Therefore I am sure the larger countries will still use these breaks for friendlies and such. Thus, the idea that UEFA creating a new format will help cut back on international matches is not entirely true. Something does need to be done though on this front.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Tom, I don't know if you were interested in fitba back in the late 80s/early 90s when the Super Leagues began to take hold. The reason that the English FA seized control of the old first division was to make the league more answerable to the national teams. The mantra was "too many matches [42 in those days] exhausts our players and hurts our national team." Unfortunately, the first two or three years of the EPL was marked by the marquee teams -- Man U, Liverpool, etc. -- taking advantage of the 4 fewer matches by scheduling huge money-spinning friendlies with teams like Real Madrid and similar clubs in South America. The result? The rich got richer and the middle level clubs got poorer. And, on the national level, England didn't get better, and there weren't all that many international matches.

So, the national FA's and UEFA & FIFA took a stronger hold on the Super Leagues and that's where they are today. With the national FA's in charge of the Super Leagues, there will always be more internationals and not fewer.

With the national FA's in charge of meaningful league football, UEFA & FIFA become even stronger. Check out the French national team threatening Gallas* by keeping Chelsea from fielding him. How can a French national coach dictate the club eligibility of a player on an English team? Because the English FA won and UEFA won.

There won't be fewer internationals, although I'm glad the non-charity/non-testimonial "friendlies" are pretty much over.

* Upon further review, I meant Makelele not Gallas. Sorry, I have trouble keeping the Scum straight.

13. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Certainly all of the lower/mid-table clubs are only going to be hurt by this practice. The Reds, Blues, etc. of the worlds have deep enough squads to take the toll, but one would think they would want to make the table as fair as possible.

Do the teams get any money from feeding their player up to the national teams?

14. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I love the fact that every country gets their shot. I just read that in the Farroe Islands first ever game they beat Austria on the road! That kind of thing is awesome to me.

On a similar note the September Four-Four-Two has a little story about the VIVAworld cup, a tournament in France which stars nations that aren't recognized by the international community. Teams participating are Sampi, Monaco, Tibet, Western Sahara, Kosova, Greenland, Occitania, Chagos(population 2,000)