ESPN WC Coverage

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jun 10, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Thoughts and Quibbles

From the little I watched this morning.. not bad. Not too basic, not too arcane-insiderish.

Note for the first time, WC video coverage on mobiles. Several on the Crew boards say they've signed up and it's reasonable, esp in the workplace

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

3. pettyfog

US tv coverage parody

YouTube- How to get Americans (USA) to watch Football during 2010 FIFA World Cup
    - MUST SEE!

Genius!
    All the best humor is based on fact. And to point that out: I submit Macca being tasked with defining, on air, the ways that US could end up meeting ENG in the finals.
    And everything Julie Foudy says.. or is given a script for.
    Both of them must feel like they need an immediate shower after the camera lite goes out.

Too bad that wasn't done by The Onion, though... instead of a bunch of quasi-intellectuals on Slate. HOWEVER..Doing that must have been a welcome respite from all the geo-political spin.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

US tv coverage parody

not quite sure what wasn't funny with that. I predict that it will be linked on Facebook right after I log off FUSA. :lol:

I'm not finding the pre-game/half-time/post game nattering all that irritating. I find, of course, that I AM enjoying the matches I'm DVRing more than those I'm watching live. The exception being the USA-England match. The sound quality was so poor the announcers were pretty much unintelligible -- a bonus.

Harkes continues to be an irritant when he does color. There's entirely too much "when I played for the World All Stars, etc." for my liking. Of course, I'm not inclined to like Harkes very much. The other color commentators are a mixed bag. Efan Ekoku is someone I've enjoyed for a long time [even though he seriously screwed up on the Mexico "offise goal" call], but why take Tommy Smyth away from Derek Rae if you're going to replace him with Ally McCoist? At least the irritating ignorant leprechaun is understandable. Ally, on the other hand, sounds more and more like Rab C. Nesbit to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFia ... re=related

The best of the studio commentators so far is Roberto Martinez. He's smart and incisive, and he's actually watching the game he's commenting on. Ruud Gullit is also pretty good.

All in all, this is a much better job by ESPN/ABC than four years ago.

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I really like the coverage so far. Agree Don that Martinez has been great. Maybe he's taking a first hand look at some of our guys to bring over to Wigan (ie: Cherundolo, Jozy, Demerit?). I also like Efan Ekoku. I have never heard him before but he is good.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He's a regular on EPL broadcasts. I've heard him about 5 or 6 times this past season.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

But what happened to the awesome hair he used to have? :(

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

from yesterday's Italy match:

Ian Darke: DiRossi is still remembered for his 4-match suspension after elbowing Brian McBride in the 2006 World Cup. He apologized immediately and has repeatedly said that he is sorry for that incident.

Efan Ekoku: Players like DiRossi are very good at apologizing.

Word, Efan.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Tirico w/McManaman (spelling screwup), and Martinez have been outstanding. Great respect for Bob Ley, but he's been stuck w/a muppet (Lalas), and a mute (Gullitt).

Martin Tyler has had a new partner each game which isn't good. Have to agree w/Oms and HD about Drake & Ekoku, they have great chemistry and obviously worked together well.

Harkes? wouldn't know, since I much prefer the Univision announcers to him.

10. pettyfog

Good Grief! Every damn goal is gonna foster an analysis of the keeper's performance.

The BRA crossing goal was brilliant.

11. pettyfog

Kyle Martino is the future of soccer color commentary

Another vote for Martino... maybe NOW we see the purpose in why Kyle never fulfilled what seemed like the promise he showed while being tutored on the field by Harkes.
    Now, Harkes should watch him to see how.
    The kid's a natural.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Circular Linkage...

Wicked Evil: ESPN puts Ruud Gullit and Lalas on camera together!

12. pettyfog

Ian Darke on covering ALG game

SportinNewsBlog: : ESPN's Ian Darke Talks About His Call Of The Greatest Goal In U.S. History
    {- Well, now.. I wouldnt say THAT!}
    There's MUCH more

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Ian Darke on covering ALG game

you deserve some sort of award so the harvesting you've done of various sites during this tourney.

On behalf of all of us, thanks a lot, Jim.

14. Bradical

Bradical Member

I think ESPN has been absolutely smashing the coverage so far, as evidenced by the ratings. What is helping:

-every game in HD
    -all Brit announcers (no American has proven able to carry a game, sorry Jack Edwards and JP Dellacamera), they have all been fantastic
    -very insightful pre and post match commentary. I've especially liked Gullit, Klinsmann, and Martinez, Fowler is probably the better over Tirico/Ley.
    -full coverage of every game - the tunnel, anthems, and lineups

This is how soccer gets into the American bloodstream - an undeniably quality product.

15. pettyfog

FSC WC recap coverage

Interesting.. apparently FSC is now allowed to show game video now that US is out. Before they were only showing stills.
    Or, perhaps, the embargo was for Group play only
    Cant find any references to a dispute between them and ESPN