ESPN NFL Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 13, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

After week one, top 5:

Steelers
    Colts
    Seahawks
    Bengals
    Jags

Leading me to wonder if these guys actually WATCHED all those games or just picked from stats... well, look at the rankings v opponents rankings from the week before:

Steelers went from 3rd to 1st by beating Dolphins who went from 9 to 16 in PITTSBURGH. I watched the game till I got bored.. and you should NEVER get 'bored' watching the Steelers, even with a backup QB playing. What does THAT say about the game!

OTOH, Bengals, 6 to 4th, went into the KC, 20 to 22, noise inferno and surgically removed the 12th man early on.. while not playing anywhere near their best game. But the KEY is the Bengal Defense showed that Carson should not need 25 points to take a win, this year as opposed to last.

Now is where I'm a little torn... I want this to keep on, dont want Bengals ranked first to become a target And it's actually better to have Steelers on top, to preserve the Cincy 'underdog' cover.

And if the Steelers fall I want the Ravens up there.

What that says is that the rankings aint exactly true... and I SURE wouldnt bet a team based on them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2006&week=2

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

These rankings are completely baseless. If there is any professional league where there is pariety and unpredictability it is the NFL.

The Seahawks looked terrible and Shaun Alexander is going to have a hard time running this season. Mark my words. I am guessing he will run for about 1200 rather than the 1800 he had last season.

I could probably go on and on but I will pass. The whole media circus around the NFL is a joke. Sports radio presently is filled with idiots wanting to talk about the NFL rather than the intriguing baseball playoff races heating up.

ESPN has had SportsCenter features about the NFL since July. I guess it is just my lack of interest in the league for the most part but I think channels like ESPN and Sports radio outlets around the country overdue things when it comes to the NFL.