England & Beckham

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by AtlantaJohn, Jun 3, 2007.

1. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

When I first came to live in the USA one of the things that really made me laugh was the way Americans called their Champions, World Champions, the World Series the World champions Chicago Bears and so on, it was to say the least a topic for discussion with my work mates, my argument was that at least in soccer when you won the World Cup it was truly a World Cup.
    The arguments from most Americans, was they are the World champions who in the World would beat them, my argument was always this, sport is played by humans, who are prone to make mistakes, and therefore the match or game should be decided by the players on the field, and how can the Bears say World champs until they played a team from another country, and over the 24 years I have lived here that as been shown to be true, who gave Florida a chance this year in the college Championship football game.
    How does this relate to Mr Beckham, well now my country and its well renowed media as already dismissed Beckhams chances of playing Internationals for England because he as decided to go into semi retirement as they call it, by playing for such an inferior league as the MLS, how arrogant of us English, if you watched with interest the Brazil game, you would have to be totally deviod of any soccer knowledge not to have seen or felt the excitment Beckham brought back to the England team.
    Heres another arrogant statement from the English media, according to them the only thing beckham brings to the table is precision from deadball situations, claiming thats the only way England can score, my answer to that is so what, having been submerged in media reports on the Brazilians and Italians of this World pulling off great free kicks to beat us, in this and that World cup, personally dont care if Beckham stands on one leg upside down, and plays for a Sunday league team, if he can put the ball past a World class goalkeeper and give England a win, he deserves to be wearing the shirt, how many modern games are won by deadball situations, he was our best player in the last World Cup, and on Friday proved yet again he deserves his spot, yes Gerrard probably had a better all around game but who on the England team made more happen at the other end.
    I think it is arrogant and premature for the media in England to be dismissing this mans chances of playing for his national team, even when he comes to the USA to play, as every team from the UK wiped the floor with its MSL opponent, no, as the USA national team been outclassed when they have played England, no, and until the new generation of players comes through and says pick me pick me because I am the best, and I will prove it, and then does, Mr Beckham should be playing for England, because quite honestly if you watched on Friday, he surely deserves to be there.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I couldn't agree with you more. Beckham has been at the top of his game for the last couple months in LaLiga and he showed a lot against Brazil. Gerrard was playing out of his mind because he was an empty uniform against AC Milan and he had much to make up for.

In the years I lived in England, it amazed me how English sport and entertainment writers would find a young talent, promote him/her to the heavens and, as soon as that person actually delivered the goods and became a star, began to drag him/her down.

Before the last World Cup, the FFC board was full of derision for Beckham -- yesterday's man; one dimensional. It took only two matches before most of those guys realized that Beckham was one of only three English players playing consistent top quality football -- Joe Cole and Owen Hargreaves being the others. I saw posts like, "the bloke can still play; I'm quite surprised."

Now that he's going to MLS, they're talking him down for that. Well, he's going to be better than anybody else from the right side of midfield for at least the next couple of years. As for MLS as the appropriate place to maintain World Cup quality play, you might want to ask the Portuguese and the Germans about a bunch of MLS players in Korea/Japan.

Great post, AtlantaJohn. I'm very much looking forward to Beckham making a difference in Euro 2008 and, by doing so, pointing out what a bunch of prats the FA and McClaren were to send him to Coventry after the World Cup.

3. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Before I get to the heart of this thread I first need to address the comment by HD in reference to Gerrard and the empty uniform against Milan. Gerrard didn't have the best game of his career that can be said, but an empty uniform...Gerrard did everything that needed to be done and perhaps a little too much. (of course he didn't score, that was a huge let down and would of changed the match completely if he slotted that shot past Dida) What I mean by doing too much is that sometimes Gerrard tries to go at it on his own which is good from time to time, but he heaped far too much pressure on himself and didn't rely on his teammates enough. Poor decisions by Rafa not to bring on Crouch earlier and how about Pennant? Fantastic show and shame he hasn't been called up to the national team yet.

Anyways...moving on.

McClaren and the FA are both spineless cowards as I have made mention before, just like Sven before McClaren they both play to what is the popular thing to do. Beckham was given the captains armband under Sven, because he was the biggest name and everyone loved him during that time. Fast forward to Beckham being dropped by Cappello and McClaren follows suit. Cappello reinstates Beckham to the starting XI, McClaren follows suit. How could the FA possibly think McClaren is suitable for this job? Did they just happen to miss the UEFA cup final where Middlesborough were taken to the cleaners by Sevilla in a 4-0 drubbing. It wasn't even that Middlesborough were outclassed, but most certainly out coached.

Beckham has shown tremendous promise over the past few months and congrats to him. His back was against the wall and he showed his class. Now I doubt he will be a normal fixture on the right wing, but if he continues to play like he has it will go a long way to keep him in the starting XI. Now if McClaren can just get beyond putting Lampard in the center of the park with Gerrard they can finally get some quality movement forward.

How about a fair shout for Crouch as well.