Emergency Room Adventures

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, Sep 23, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

So this morning i was sitting in Spanish class. It was like any other day (except the fact that I was able to drive myself to school for the first time :D) but I start feeling light-headed and very warm. Well apparently I passed out for about 5 minutes. By the time I regained consciousness I was all alone in the room with the Principal and VP. I felt perfectly fine but they still insisted on calling the ambulance. I spent about an hour and a half in the emergency room (which looked like the ones in those horror movies. :| ) while they did blood test, an ekg, and the ever popular urine sample. They didn't find anything wrong except that my blood sugar was slightly low. So now I have to sit at home for the rest of the day. That's too bad too cause I wanted to go to a volleyball game against our fiercest rivals.

Anybody else have random ER stories? Comments? Phobias?

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Obviously, you havent been eatin' enough Landycakes.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just the chuckle I needed after today's match. Thanks, Mo!

4. andyns

andyns New Member

Last time I went was probably 8 years ago when I broke my finger in the warmup of a soccer game.

After waiting ages, the doctor came in, squeezed it, and said it might be broken, and sent me home.

I don't go anymore.

5. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

The day I got my class ring in high school I had to go to the emerency room to get it cut off. The bright people at Jostens sized it during the winter, and come summer it was too small (what a shock). I haven't been able to wear a ring since out of fear it won't ever come off. If I ever do get married I'm not sure what I'll do. Much to my surprise Jostens did make me a new ring for free which has been in a drawer for the last ten years.

6. IanHux

IanHux New Member

The wonderful stories freak accidents produce!

Mo, I think the problem is that Landycakes come without nuts now so I think that was the cause of my hypoglycemia......

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Not exactly an ER nightmare but it figures in the punchline, of this double pronged anecdote.

In the mid seventies, I had a strange dream that I was wiped out while riding a motorcycle at a certain busy intersection at the edge of my little town. The strange part being I didnt have or ride a bike at the time. But I sure remembered that dream.

Some months later, my cousin was visiting my brother and for some reason we needed a small part which was available in the next town. I jumped on the back of my cousin's bike and we set off to get the part. As we approached that crossroad, I suddenly remembered that dream and I leaned out to tell him to be careful and -WHAP- was hit in the lower lip by something big.

Once pulled over, he said "Holy shit.. there's something sticking in your lip" I touched it and sure enough..
    Stupidly I pulled it out with my thumb and finger and looked. It was a venom sac, a big one. And, of course, I had emptied it into my lip while pulling it out.

"Uh-Oh!"

Well, we continued on but a mile later we had to pull over again so I could take off my helmet because it was getting REALLY TIGHT. At that point I decided we'd better go to the Fairborn firehouse as it was staffed.

Walked in and the squad guy looks at me and says "Oh shit" We got in the squad and started to the hospital.... all this time, I was only feeling mildly uncomfortable.

As they rolled me through the door to the ER, the nurse looked at me and remarked to the squad guy, "Wow! Hope this turns out better than the last one!"

The guy responded 'Nice talk, lady!"

So for the next hour, I kept waiting for something really unpleasant. And it never did. But I was unable to savor being served immediately the only time ever in an ER.

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Hope you're okay Ian (I'm sure you were the talk of the school)

I had to go the the ER a few years ago and stay overnight in the hospital, and I'll never forget the patient in the holding area of the ER. My wife and I were there and waiting nervously for tests results when all you could hear was extreme non-stop moaning from a couple curtains down. After what seemed like a couple of hours the doctor goes to see this older gentleman and the following exchange takes place;

"Mr ___ it says you've been diabetic for 20 years, I need to know if you've been drinking"

"Yes"

"How much have you been drinking?"

"A 5th of whiskey a day"

"Have you been smoking?"

"Yes, I smoke a pack and a half a day"

"Mr ____ the fact you are even moaning in here instead of laying in the morgue is a miracle"

9. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Ian, don't forget that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. :D

I use to date an ER nurse and she would always have funny stories to tell, here is one that is "hard" to forget.

From time to time they would get a male patient come in with a vacuum hose attached/stuck to their "privates". One day a guy walks in, and all them had to hold back the laughter. One hand was holding a towel covering his "little friend" and the other carrying the entire upright vacuum. :3d smile:

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heh.. reminds me of when I was a kid. Dad milked cows. I looked at that milking machine and said... hmmmm!

But my IQ is over 100. I stuck my thumb in that teat cup and never thought of that again.

Kid up the road's IQ was evidently NOT over 100.

Good Yucks for adolescent boys!

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

sorry but after reading your post, when i got to this line and read it, I couldn't help it and burst out laughing and everyone here at work instantly said "send it over" thinking I had read a funny email. Your story reminds me of a friend of mine who had to go to the ER. We were up camping and had been whittling wood...and he went to the river to wash off. He slipped cuz the rock was wet and fell in...and the river right there dropped at an angle about 30 yards. I remember seeing this thing zooming down like it was a water slide and looking over and seeing him with his arms out draggin on the rocks to stop himself. He came to a stop about 4 feet from the edge of about a 50 foot waterfall (river was not very deep). All of the rest of us just sat there all quiet...looking down...finally yelling out "dude...are you ok?" He was able to pull himself out of the river...and climb up the embankment back to where we were and was all pissed off and muttering because he lost his Red Sox hat. His arms were all cut up very bad so we patched him as best as we could, divided his stuff among us, and began packing out of there to get him down to the hospital. The whole time he just kept muttering and complaining about losing his Red Sox hat and to ourselves we were like..."you almost died dude!" hahahaha that's why I busted up laughing when I read that line about going to the volleyball game. Not that you were close to death or anything, but just under the circumstances.

12. IanHux

IanHux New Member

RE: Re: Emergency Room Adventures

Well I'm glad to report that I was able to return to school today without incident. Sure enough there were about 20 people that asked me what happened. Apparently the part where I was unconscious didn't figure into their thought process. I think I'll blame the WASL (which is the worst standardized test ever compiled). Nobody learns anything but how to pass the WASL and a good percentage still don't but that was way off topic.......