Earthquakes get 1st win!

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by RidgeRider, Apr 20, 2008.

1. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

For the newly addicted, I watched my first full MLS match last night and was pleased to witness a positive result for us Northern California types as the Earthquakes soundly beat Colorado 2-0 (have to root for them as they play their home matches at my alma mater.)

The quality doesn't seem to be the same as in the EPL. Pace is slower but it was entertaining.

For those of you with some history with this game, how does the MLS quality compare with the rest of the world? Championship in EPL?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think several MLS sides could acquit themselves quite well in the CCC, RR. Thing is that the weather and the schedule make this comparison troubling.

1. Weather: the reason the pace is slower in the MLS is the summer schedule. Players can't maintain the pace associated with the English game in the weather we have.

2. Schedule: We play a lot fewer games than our European counterparts. An English CCC team will play a 46 match league schedule, as well as participating in the FA Cup, and the League Cup. There are also regional "floodlit cups," plus there's the various reserve leagues, youth leagues and the like. This schedule calls for larger squads with more competition.

CCC football can be a lot more frantic than EPL because so much is at stake, and because coaches are constantly either looking to get fired or looking to move up. Even a star on a CCC side might find it difficult to keep his position on the starting 11. This isn't usually the case in the MLS. Only injury will keep an Altidore or a Donovan from starting. This is one reason why so many of us want to see MLS's up and coming stars play in Europe. They'll mature more in the weekly fight for a starting position than they will starting regularly for an MLS side.

Heads and tails cases in point?

1. Landon Donovan couldn't stand the idea that he might not start in Germany, and preferred the sure thing in comfortable surroundings.

2. For the first time in his life, Freddy Adu had to prove himself to a skeptical bunch of teammates and coaches when he transferred to Benfica. He's only had a dozen or so appearances, and only one or two starts, but if you've seen his last few international performances, it's notable how much his game has improved.

RR, if you want to spend a long weekend researching this, check on the messageboard. There's a whole category devoted to MLS , and a lot of back and forth there to read.

Glad the 'quakes are back and that the season is progressing.

3. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Boy, I almost wish I didn't search and read the board regarding MLS. The back and forth posting on one thread was pretty fiery. I had no idea so many folks on the board seemed to almost hate the MLS, while others were quire supportive. I found the posts pretty funny. You could just feel the vitriol meter pegging at times. Thanks for the suggestion Don.

4. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Glad to hear you watched an MLS Match!!!!!! The pace is something that might take some getting used to but it is still quite entertaining. Try to ignore the anti-MLS syndicate here on the boards. They won't see reason and come up with the most cynical reasons not to watch it.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Anti-MLS Syndicate??? Is that the new FUSA Firm?

6. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Haha...I went to the the Fire game against the suddnely 'good' Wiz yesterday at Toyota Park...it was the first MLS game I have ever attended, and I am wondering to myself this morning why did it take so damn long?

I was in the fifth row at just about mid-field and so close that the players on the field...in particular Mike Harrington (KC's left back) could hear my drunken chastizing...he played like shit...

The game was a great time, one of the best times I've had at any sporting event and we lost 0-1! That sucked but the fact that we could have and should have won 4-0 was encouraging and enraging at the same time...we let in a fluke goal missed an open net and were in behind the defense at least four times...but that is why they play them...

I will be back for more and one of the most glaring things about the game to me...the quality of the MLS seems to have improved in just one season, at least in Chicago and KC...

But THE most glaring thing to me is that the atmosphere, size, and match awareness/knowledge of the fans inside an MLS stadium does not translate at all to television like it does in the EPL or Champions League...

...it was amazing, section 8 was outstanding, they sang throughout the entire game and you could hear them anywhere in the stadium, they got the entire crowd into the songs and chants, and they roll about 1,000 strong...they have a guy who spends the entire game facing the crowd on a stand leading the cheers...he never even looks at the game!...fantastic time, fantastic atmosphere, and a shitty result.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I should have posted the article I read a few weeks ago, written by a "Euro-exile' in Chicago who'd been an MLS-Slagger, until he actually WENT to an MLS match.

I'm not going to search for it, it's only one guy's opinion, after all but here's the summary:

"The game is a different game. But that's not to say it's wholly inferior. If it was, there's no way the US could have had the results they've seen in International play."

I'd like to add that the league play is derided by the lack of 'striking talent'.. well, so what! It isnt like some teams in the Prem dont suffer the same.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

A great game for a new Quakes fan to watch. I have to say if I had an MLS expansion franchise I would do my level best to hire Frank Yallop. He has done a nice job building this team from the back, starting with Joe Cannon, and implementing a "keep it on the ground-passing game". I was really impressed with the Earthquakes. This team is not going to be a push over win on anyones schedule especially at home.

As for the pace of the league being slower than the EPL it most certainly is. The skill level and squad depth are both lower than the EPL in my opinion. On the upside however, there are no dominating "Big 4" teams which makes almost every game highly competive and the unexpected outcomes occur far more frequently. The MLS is highly entertaining and the skill level is improving across the league.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Belle/Fog, all this reminds me of my time in England in the early 70s when I was trying to infect some of my co-workers with a love for the game. All I got was "aren't you afraid of the hooligans?" and "you want me to drive to Cockfosters, hop on the Northern Line, and go watch a bunch of Brits play a game that nobody scores in?" and "you wouldn't be doing this if you could watch REAL football."

It took some time, but I finally did get a few out to watch, and as much as the game captured them, it was the crowd and the feel of being there that really got them hooked. With the exception of the Arsenal home matches [remember the Highbury Library!], there was always something that happened that got these guys' fired up. Eventually, four of us -- who worked opposite schedules -- broke down and split two season tickets to Luton Town [old second division/old first division]. I've lost track of the other two guys, but one still goes to DC United matches with his son.

The thing is that while there's a discernable difference in quality from league to league, THE GAME as played by skilled professionals is an amazing thing regardless of level. I've seen Southern League matches in England that were more memorable than matches betweern Liverpool and Spurs I attended.

If you guys are lucky enough to live near an MLS stadium, and you're not a starving musician or college student, you really ought to check it out.

The Name of the Game is the Game!

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I don't know about staving muscians but I'll bet even college students could afford most bleacher seats at and MLS game.

I felt the same way when we went to the Crew game. We are already planning a trip back with my sons U-13 team.

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I am a college student, I did get a free ticket but the mere $25 I spent on booze made the trip affordable and well worth it! An outstanding sport to see live; which after watching the game on television I wouldn't have expected.

I know it is asking a lot but I think ESPN and FSC and whoever else covers the MLS needs to go overseas and see how the stations in England or Spand or Germany cover their matches...

...Maybe the MLS could invest in having a consultant come here in an attempt to teach the networks how to make the game come to life and appear more appealing to the average fan who isn't convinced to get off the couch and actually attend a game.

12. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

GO QUAKES GO!!
    The Boys Are Back in Town!! Nice to see them get their first "W". :banana:
    I went to the Fire match, should have at least tied...
    I can't wait to see a packed "Buck Shaw", it will be rock'n.
    RR you need to make the drive and see them live. :3d footy:
    MK

PS- On the Quakes MB they talk about the need for a big man up-front and the name that keeps coming up.... McBride (we'll see...) :?

13. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

The idea of McGod has also been thrown around in Chicago as well (he is from Arlington Heights)...but who knows where he'll end up after the season. I think it depends highly on whether or not Fulham are relegated...

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

My money is on PCB vs Elijah Wood.

Wonder if La-la Lalas still thinks leaving Cannon exposed was a good idea?

Maybe the NoCals know, but I thought I heard that San Jose hasn't even approved a stadium yet, is this true?

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

San Jose has a location (in between downtown and the airport at an old factory / warehouse ground), but apparently not much else done.

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_8991214

I missed the Quakes' win this weekend, but I'm ready for the Santa Clara home opener!

Nice tagline Misfitkid!

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I'm definatley going to drive down to see some games with the family. We have made a couple of trips to watch Santa Clara Womens team play (boy, they are good and actually what initially got me interested in Soccer). So I hope to run into some of the Fulham Bay Area fans at ole' Buck Shaw.

17. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Ok, I am not sure if anyone of you have been keeping tabs but the San Jose Earthquakes are quietly on a 6 game unbeaten streak!

Nice, huh?

18. pettyfog

Y{all}op!

- - - -- - - - --
    By the Way...

1. Why was this thread posted in the 'EPL, Abroad...' forum?

2. WTH didnt I notice it was there and not in NA soccer where it belongs?

Oh, well. I did now.

19. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Probably my fault. Appreciate you taking the fall for it though. :)

20. pettyfog

No problem... it IS my job to herd the morons on here, after all.
    ;)