Driving Cross Country

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JohnnyCash, Nov 21, 2005.

1. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

So, with this new job in Arizona, a friend and I are going to be driving cross country this January. Needless to say, I'm trying to stay out of the midwest in January.

Right now the route consists of driving south from DC to Lynchburg to stay with a friend. Lynchburg to Nashville for the day, and then Nashville to Huntsville to stay with my uncle. Huntsville Southwest to New Orleans, west to San Antonio, West to Big Bend National park and then north west through the Guadalupe mountains, then into White Sands New Mexico. West to Tucson where I'm going to stay with a friend, then onto Phoenix to drop my friend to fly back to Baltimore.

Any suggestions or road stops I should see around any of these places?

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I have many a suggestion considering I spent 3 months on the road for a similar cross country trip. I'll put together some suggestions and pass them on to you in a pm.

If looking to do some 'nauture' oriented things, there is a hell of alot to do in New Mexico.
    1) The Grand Canyon. Hike down to the Phantom Ranch and hike back up...nothing like it.
    2) Go rafting on the Colorado river
    3) Go see the Petrified forest...trees that are now rocks?! What could be cooler?
    4) The painted desert. Now that is whats cooler than tree rocks.

Anywho, I also stopped by the home of Elvis, and the Grand Ol' Opre in Tennessee...the list goes on and on.

You'll have a great time.

3. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Since I'm living in flagstaff, I'm definatly going to raft the Colorado (just not in january). I really wish i had the time or money to do the colorado through the grand canyon. Unfortunately there's about a 15 year waiting list.