Does this happen to anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Meggrs, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Since recent games have been on Setanta, and I've only got FSC at home, I've been forced to leave my den if I want to actually watch recent matches.

Last weekend, I hauled myself down to a (semi-local) pub for the FFC/Chelsea game (only to find that they had listed the wrong time, and I was too late!) only to have this exchange happen over and over:

Me: "I've missed the Fulham/Chelsea game? Dammit."

Patron at the pub: "Whaddya wanna watch the damn Blues for anyway?"

Me: "I don't-- I'm a Fulham supporter."

Random chorus from everyone within hearing distance: (scratching heads) "Huh. I've never actually met a Fulham supporter."
    "Well, my boyfriend's a Fulham supporter, but he's the only one I know." (from the Irish bartender)
    "I didn't think anyone was actually a Fulham fan."

Half an hour later. "Hey, honey, she's the one I was talking about. The Fulham fan. We've never met one before!"

Hmmm. Anyone else notice this if they venture outside their own walls for a match?

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

ALL THE TIME!

I wear it like a badge (or crest) of honour.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yeah, this happens to me all the time here in Chicago. At the pub I go to I am the only Fulham supporter and the owners and patrons know me simply as the Fulham supporter. Don't worry though, our army of supporters here in the States is growing!!

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Hi Meggrs,
    This is a common occurance for Fulham fans and you are NOT the only one. Most people cannot believe that FulhamUSA exists in all honesty or that we have as many members as we do.

I'm very proud to be a Fulham supporter and I enjoy getting looks from those people in bars when I wear my t-shirt or jersey.

Long live FFC and the Fulhamericans.

5. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

That is one of the main reason I came to Fulham. No bandwagon supporters and it always strikes up a good chat at the pub as to why we are such proud fans.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I love telling everyone that Fulham is my favorite team when they find out I love football (soccer to them) and ask me who my favorite team is. Half of them don't even know the names of the MLS teams. hahaha

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I don't even know the names of the MLS teams.....

(left me with a lay-up on that one, to mix metaphors)

8. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Thanks, everyone! I do love the nonbandwagonness (of course that's a word!) of supporting a team that is apparently under most people's radar.

I'm definitely going to have to spend more time here.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

another reason? We're all good looking, kind, generous, and witty!

Hope to see you around some more!

10. Bocacrumbs

Bocacrumbs New Member

I've been gone for a week but this is my first post back! Being a girl, especially a Fulham chic, I love it when guys who think they know everything about the game asks me who I support. When I say 'Fulham' they automatically think I know nothing...

...boy are they wrong! Great story Meggrs.

11. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Preaching to the choir, but we all know it is exactly the opposite. Takes a savvy (and masochistic?) fan to grow close to beloved Black & White.

12. BC

BC New Member

I can't wait to get back to playing soccer with my friends (after my ACL gets repaired very soon). I used to "support" Man U and so I'm sure they all thought I was the typical bandwagon Yank. Now when I go back sporting some Fulham gear (whenever I save up enough to pay the shipping fees), I'm sure the looks on their faces will be priceless.

13. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Preach away, FFCinPCB.

And masochistic? Yeah, absolutely.

COYW!

14. TonyTX42

TonyTX42 New Member

Considering that I'm surrounded by Arsenal fans (my friends are bandwagoners... otherwise they're good people), I wear the FFC fan crest as a badge of honor. I chose the team because I love the underdog and I appreciate history and hate it when people just jump onto whoever is the best team at the time.
    Also, I love that the Chelsea (and bandwagon) hatred is worldwide. As a buddy of mine (who's a West Ham supporter... we'll forgive him for that) put it in a comment on my MySpace page:
    "don't know if it was the punk mood I was in last night at the Reverend Horton Heat show.. but on the way to the bathroom see some dude in his Chelsea replica jersey shirt, couldn't help but "accidentaly" give him a pretty good bump.... blue pukes."

15. Zack

Zack New Member

Here here to this post....the first english team i ever saw play was the whites as they were on tour and played a friendly w/ the TB Mutiny...Marcus and Eddie were on the squad then........i started to follow english soccer more and more and only real team i knew of was the red devils...quickly after being labeled a "plastic fan" for jumping on the man u wagon (although its not much of a wagon these days to me) i always kept on eye on that team i first saw....when i was in england, my first night out and about in London we stumbled on the cottage and i began to really get into fulham and the rest is history as the location of the club in a big city, in a part of London that I LOVE and have great memories, and a team that to me really says alot about me as a person and the type of teams i seem "destined" to support.....i mean i've never liked the yankees or "giant" teams that seemed to walk on water (although UNC athletics is up there).......................but anywho, while i dont hate man u. i hope they do ok except for the fans that threw a tantrum during the big "takeover"......but Fulham has by far been the best thing to come into my life, i love that ever match is as big as a cup final...i just love the small (but in a big city) family and TOGETHER atmosphere i get from a team like Fulham...

and my next quest is breaking my girlfriend from her spell as a chelzksi fan as we toured the bridge (tourist coupon voucher) she thought i would like b/c we could see it from our hotel in kensington.....but as we approach our move i think i will turn her into a sane person!!!

:lol:

16. RDG

RDG Member

Yeah, happens alllllll the time. Whenever an FFC match against a big club is on TV and I want to see it in a bar, I have to ask if they're showing the "big club" match. No one ever knows what a "Fulham" is.

Sadly, though, the first American FFC fan I met over here was not a person I'd ever want to meet again. Other than his screaming at Van Der Saar for things that weren't his fault, he muttered that he was going home after the match and kicking his dog. Not funny, even in jest.