Do we need a BCS playoff?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 25, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Seems to me things are shaking out pretty well.

All USC has to do is avoid falling on their faces against UCLA and they will be deserving of playing Ohio State.

PS: wonder what those two guys who voted #1 spots for WVU, for half the season, are thinking now.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Yes, we need a playoff system. Get rid of the BCS crap! Also, what makes USC so deserving of a chance against Ohio State rather than Michigan?

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Michigan lost to Ohio State.

What makes Boise State so undeserving?

Tomatoe, Tomatto. Can't we at least get a 4 team playoff?

Get rid of the one or two patsies each team plays during the season and shorten the regular season. Conference playoffs. Then 8 or 16 team playoff. I'm thinking no more than 8, as no way 16 teams legitimately have a claim to a national title. But do 8 either?

4. pettyfog

IF we must have a playoff, then I suggest we do it as a modification of the current system.

Top 5 BCS qualify for the national championship.

#1 automatically in the NC game.
    2 plays 5
    3 plays 4
    ALL at neutral sites at least 100 miles from home stadium
    winners play a semi-final on New Years

NC game a week later

One good thing about a playoff.. could finally stop the SEC whining

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

True. Then we would be able to prove we are the best, and toughest, conference.

6. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I agree with Petty's format, but I think they would have to get rid of all the conf. championship games. Its already unfair for teams who play in the Big 12 and ACC.

7. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Do we need a BCS playoff?

What is worse, a close loss on the road at Ohio State or a close loss on the road to an unranked Oregon State?

Yes, Michigan lost, but it was not as if they were destroyed by Ohio State and it was on the road.

As for Boise State, you are seriously having a laugh. Until these smaller non-BCS conference teams decide to play some legitimate teams in their non-conference schedules no one is going to give them the time of day and nor should they.

How much do you want to bet the winner of the ACC Championship (Wake and Georgia Tech) will play Boise State in what will surely be the least intriguing match-up of the BCS bowls.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Do we need a BCS playoff?

Definitely having a laugh, Tom. The absurdity of it is that under the current system, Boise State could very well have a right to proclaim themselves national champions if they win their bowl game and OSU does not.

We need a playoff system, even if it is only 4 teams. That 5 team shenanigan Petty came up with is too subject to the current pollster subjectiveness.

9. pettyfog

You're not going to do away with that, no matter what, PCB. What's the alternative?

Compare to the basketball playoffs...l are you seriously suggesting the winner is the best team throughout the season?

Look at it this way.... how many playoff games will do it?

I'll take the 'subjectiveness', thank you!

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I would prefer the subjectiveness of selecting the playoff teams to a selection committee of humans like the NCAA basketball tournament. I know there will always be bitching and complaining for those who are left out, but I think this would make sense.

11. pettyfog

But there's a place for computer parsing in it too...

I humbly remind you of the two 'humans' voting WVU as #1 for several weeks running.
    We all knew, at least I did, that was idiocy. And it has proven to be idiocy.

If BCS takes the end-of-season #1 as automatic qualifier, that means you cant just schedule patsies and go to the playoffs. And means the season will be played to win each and every game.

I have gotten over the 'Hate Notre Dame' syndrome specifically because of introduction of computer rankings. It wasnt that I just hated them... I hated them because, watching their games, I felt they were highly overrated.

The reason I came up with that playoff scenario is that it would allow the least reorganization of the bowl system and guarantee a clearly able top 5 contender a real shot at the national championship.

I dont see how anyone could mind doing away with conference championship games but I dont think my system would necessitate that; it's up to the schools, as it should be.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

It is not a bad way of doing things Petty. I just have a hard time giving a team a free pass into the championship. However, of the other methods I have heard, this is one of the better ones.

13. pettyfog

But it's NOT a 'free pass'... they have to win out to get it - against teams of measurable quality. It's that way almost every year.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Although I don't really care all that much about pointy football, I thought I'd weigh in. The problem with Petty's formula IS the automatic pass for the #1 team. Who is number 1 most years? Use BCS's number 1? What a joke that has been in recent years.

Reality check: There are conferences that are ALWAYS overrated in terms of overall strength -- SEC and Big10[11] are the best examples. Because the conferences themselves are overrated, teams that do well intraconference in either of them tend to be overrated. For a number of pre-BCS years we were treated to the mighty Ohio State/Michigan Big-10 champ going to the Rose Bowl and being "upset" by the lower ranked PAC10 team. Seldom, however, did that Big-10 champ lose to a poorer team. They were ranked as they were because few of the rankers -- even in the coaches poll -- knew all that much about football west of Chicago. So, if you base a playoff system strictly on somebody's rankings, you're going to have cooked the system before it starts.

But there is a model that'll work. It has been working for a number of years so nobody has to invent it. Use the same system used for all other NCAA football classifications. That'll get you a champion. Unless you do that, STOP CALLING SOMEBODY THE "NATIONAL CHAMPION!" When a playoff system was suggested several years ago, the big colleges said, "If we do that some of us might be playing 12 or even 13 games! Our poor scholars!" Of course, since then, most schools play 11 or 12 games before the bowl season anyway, so this is even more of a joke than it was then.

Oh, one last thing. If you're going to have rankings, go back to doing the last poll before the bowl season, and have some reality in your lives.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled round fitba.[/b]

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

There is a though, use the same system as D-1AA, D3, D2, etc. That would make way too much sense Don! LOL! I would love to see that happen as would most college football entusiasts.

16. pettyfog

[​IMG]

Here's a poser.... Tressel won 4 D 1-AA titles. And played for the title nine times.

Does anyone really believe that Youngstown State was the best or second best 1-AA team in all those years?

Since I'm an OSU fan... I have no problems with 'rankings', and I sure have no problem with playoffs becuase if there is any coach who could take a 'just good' team all the way, it's Tressel.

So WHY would I propose a system that just might make OSU look bad? And, under the system I propose, that COULD very well happen.

17. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

In a word: Yes.

This is my first year really enjoying College football and a first versus fourth, and second versus third, type play off with the winners meeting in a final would be fairly simple.

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You would think so Glen, you would think so.

The abilty for us humans to over-complicate what would seem to be a fairly easy answer never ceases to amaze many of us.

And that's where lawyers step in. ;-)

19. pettyfog

I guess you guys STILL dont get it..

Why shouldnt the #1 rated team get a pass, as long as the next four get a shot at him?

You want to ignore it.. but I aint giving up till you answer the question.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

[Petty: see my most recent comment in the Sepp Blatter thread]

Here's the answer to your question: BECAUSE MOST YEARS THERE ISN'T A UNIVERSALLY AGREED UPON #1 AT THE END OF THE REGULAR SEASON. Several times there are two or three teams with 1 loss; sometimes there are two or three teams with 0 losses. And sometimes, the team that doesn't get rated number one MIGHT BE THE TEAM THAT PLAYS IN COLUMBUS.

Is that an answer?