Diet and Fat: 'EVERYONE' proved wrong

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Except me, that is.. I found out 9 years ago the anti-fat people were idiots.

A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus

Now, for those of you who STILL choose for some reason to eat 'Low-Fat', I suggest - again- you look at the label, if the carbs on the low-fat version are higher than the regular version, put it back on the shelf. It's actually MORE unhealthy than the 'high fat' version.

Now... anyone want to discuss 'ManMade Global Warming'?

Considering the cascading consensus paradigm and considering that those who have bothered to look up the credentials of all these 'consensus scientists' have found that very few of them have anything to do with Climate Science, while there's actually MORE within the qualified group who 'disagree' with the provisory, then wouldnt you say that the paradigm is very much the same?

2. EricD

EricD New Member

RE: Diet and Fat:

Man made global warming was another example of a money making scam - using tax dollars from agencies that do not have accountability for the funds they are supposed to use.

I remember reading an article by a scientist who said that he was involved in the whole gloabal warming thing, and he made a lot of money. Once he did more research, he realized that they were wrong in their conclusions. He started going against the grain, and he was subsequently black balled because people were making a lot of money. Pretty sick.

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well, they're still teaching my kids in school how bad fat is for you. My neighbors daughter got upset when she saw her mother putting butter on a roll. It was like she was shooting up or something. Turns out the generations and generations before us actually had brains in their head like we do. Even though there have always been gluttons around previous generations knew that you didnt need to boycot fat.

PFog, I agree this is amusingly similar to the man-made global warming issue, as this quote from the article illustrates,

“This is a matter,” he continued, “of such enormous social, economic and medical importance that it must be evaluated with our eyes completely open. Thus I would hate to see this issue settled by anything that smacks of a Gallup poll.”

Kudos to Al Gore, the electriciy glutton, water pollutin' non-scientist who is using good old-fashioned peer pressure to determine science. Just like McGovern before him.

4. pettyfog

Remember the favorite hippy, flowerchild bumper sticker of yore:

'Question Authority!' .. we were all amused but in context it seemed rather anarchist in tone. Or aimed against cops, as in Chicago '68.

5. WHITEwitch1

WHITEwitch1 New Member

That thingy about fats

Generally accepted in medical circles that sugar (the ultimate refined carb) is far more likely to kill you. More addictive than heroin and wasting far more people per annum than even the purest crack cocaine.

Thinking about it not many people crave pure fat - a doughnut with no sugar is pretty unappealing, think butter with no bread, oil with no potato chip or salt.

Anyhow now you get to choose - obesity and adrenal exhaustion or obesity and clogged arteries.

In the UK the latest health campaign is all about trans fats - those are the things that give a shelf life of several centuries and cost 85% less than butter.

Fascinating stuff.

6. pettyfog

RE: That thingy about fats

Welcome back aboard, WW.

OTOH: A really good sharp cheddar... Yum, Yum!

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: That thingy about fats

Here in New York also - there was an initial uproar when the city government approved a regulation banning the use of trans fats in restaurants, but once everybody realized that their french fries ("chips" for you Brits :D) would taste the same and cost the same amount and be healthier, and that the increased cost to restaurants would be negligible, everyone pretty much agreed it was a good plan after all.

8. pettyfog

RE: Re: That thingy about fats

And the 'unhealthy part' of fries, now, is the 'carbs'

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

it seems to me that we, as a society, want:

a. simple answers to complex questions AND
    b. an identifiable good guy to cheer and an identifiable bad guy to boo.

If you watch the talking heads for two consecutive weeks you'll see at least one report on:

a. today's young girls [and boys] are alarmingly obese AND
    b. today's girls are starving themselves trying to look like heroin addicts.

Here's the thing people. Eat from all the food groups -- if they weren't good for us WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DIGEST THEM. And, get some friggin exercise.

Finally, four words to make nearly almost everyone look and feel better and cut down on their trips to the doctor: EAT LESS; EXERCISE MORE!

Show some common sense! Don't make me come up there!

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I suspect that 10-20 years from now, they'll be telling us that Carbs are a good thing and we need to eat more of them.

Don't like the Medical Expertise on Food today? Wait a decade or so, it'll change.

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Re: That thingy about fats

I'm not big on fad diets like Atkins and whatever, but I'm not sure of the point you're trying to get across here... care to elaborate?

12. pettyfog

Re: RE: Re: That thingy about fats

Mmmm.. it was the "Atkins" or my version of it, that saved me from being a diabetic invalid.
    It's also 'NOT' a fad, You should keep up. The Atkins is the most extreme version of low-carb but it is/was misrepresented by its opponents and did NOT call for elimination of carbs in the long run. Atkins' theory was you had to get the body to switch it's 'stored body fat' paradigm. That's related to the 'feast/famine' cycle.

Potatos: Anything you can easily make a glue of is unhealthy in quantity.

Sidenote: What's still missing is a study of increased FAT intake (given a caloric baseline) on the metabolism.

13. jmh

jmh New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: That thingy about fats

OK, hold on, so what you seem to be saying is that low-carb can be beneficial, and that potatoes in particular are bad (in excessive quantity, certainly). Then why the quotes around "unhealthy part" and "carbs"?

14. pettyfog

Meaning... triglycerides out, and a quality fat used in the frier, and the proper temperature.. THAT THE PART YOU NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR IS THE STARCH IN THE FRIES!

DONT BIGGIE-SIZE 'EM!!!

Get it?

15. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Or don't eat fries at all. (easier said than done)

Don put it rather well. Eat healthy (not low fat), eat reasonable portions, and get some feckin' exercise!!! And get it regularly, like no less than three times a week. (again, easier said than done).

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That thingy about fats

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: That thingy about fats

I do get it, but what I don't get, if you actually need to watch out for eating a whole lot of starch, is why you put "unhealthy part" and "carbs" in quotes in that earlier message. When people do that it usually indicates some sort of lack of sincerity, like if one were to say:

Chris Baird is the "best player" on the "powerhouse" Northern Ireland national team.

18. pettyfog

PCB and Don are right. I've tried to point out the fallacy details and evidently you dont get it. I'm not anti-carb.. just for picking the best stuff to indulge. Fries being a good one. Easiest to cut out are the pure sugars, because there are substitutes.

Find a livestock farmer to explain it. They raise mammals, we are mammals. Eating fat does not make livestock OR you fat... meaning it does not easily convert to body fat. Carbs convert easily to body fat. That's why you feed livestock milled grains to increase marbling {fat in muscle} and increase butcher weight.

That's why you feed added fats to animals in cold weather to use as energy {body heat} , so the grain they eat keeps body weight up.
    Ever notice in cold weather you have an increased appetite for fats.. ie 'heavier meals'?

Animals dont exercise much so carb loading as in sport teams doesnt work the same way. And neither carbs OR fats build muscle mass, proteins do. Muscle IS however the last source of body fuel used. Cut down the fats and carbs to a certain point {starvation} and the body takes muscle for energy.
    Energy sources {in order of use}:
    digestive sugars
    digestive fats
    complex carbs
    digestive proteins
    body fats
    body proteins

Now that's simplified, there's other factors that affect, like caffeine {metabolism stimulant}, but all else equal, that's how it works.
    Take good old country 'Biscuits 'n' Gravy'.. considered to be full of fats and certainly are, but it aint the starting fats that's the problem, it's the flour in the gravy and biscuits and the fats combined. Exercise and the fats are burned second after the easily converted carb sugars, then the carbs. Stop exercising too soon and what carbs dont pass will be stored as fat.

Now the POINT is that I learned all that as a kid on the farm, but I bought into the arguments advanced by those who certainly had put in the academic work to rebut what farmers knew empirically.

But Golly, I forgot about 'Cascade Concensus' which is otherwise known as 'conventional wisdom'. Which is sometimes right, sometimes wrong.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Totally unscientific, but anyone ever notice how your grandparents put butter on their sandwiches (especialy when your grandparents live in North Dakota). Goes back to what 'fog says.