Diego set to coach Argentina?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by dcheather, Oct 29, 2008.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I like watching the Argentina National team play, especially these past few years. Players like Lionel Messi are amazing to watch. But I can't help but feel the Argentine FA are making a mistake in selecting Diego Maradona to be it's National team coach. He's shown many instances of being personally irresponsible and hurt the team by taking an illegal substance and getting kicked out of the '94 World Cup. I don't see the reason why you would put this guy in charge of running anything.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 10&cc=5901

2. Jensers

Jensers New Member

This has disaster written all over it.

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The word trainwreck springs to mind.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Barely capable of managing himself, without nearly killing himself. How the hell is he going to manage a national team???

Sounds like more than a few felt they were obligated to give him the opportunity, and I am sure they would love to see him succeed and salvage some of his reputation and national pride in the process. Pity none of that will probably occur.

5. BarryP

BarryP New Member

^
    l
    l
    l

What he said.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

I can only hope that SGE is as inept in managing Mexico as Maradona is sure to be in managing Argentina.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't fully comprehend the thinking behind this. The guy is a drug addict ... either in recovery or between binges. If he's had any sustained experience in coaching, I haven't heard of it. And here's a few names:

Ted Williams, Pete Rose, Isiah Thomas -- breathtakingly wonderful players/crap managers.

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Wow! That's unreal. Puts any complaints I have with the US fed in perspective!

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Maradona is one of my least favored sports figures of all time, a walking, talking, cocaine snorting piece of pig excrement. The Argentina NT is in for a bad ride.