Diarra and the Messi Racism accusations

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Clevelandmo, May 10, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I dont know if you guys have noticed the racism claims against Messi by Royston Drenthe, but he mentions Diarra. Not surprisely our midfielder cant stand being called a "negro". Barcelona is pulling a Liverpool and denying it outright. Instead of saying we take claims like this very seriously and will look into it, it's just arrogant denial in light of the respect campaign or whatever FIFA calls it.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/150167.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not sure if it is racist to call someone negro in South American countries? My limited Spanish lessons did not cover PC ethnicity terms. However, I do know negro is not a bad word...it's the everyday word for the color black. It may not be the hip PC word of the day to call someone "black" in this country, but I don't find a lot of individuals being labelled racist when they do use the term.

I applaud that Heinze and Higuain stopped using the word to describe Diarra and Drenthe once they knew their teammates found it offensive. Adaption in a new country is wise and prudent. When in Rome...

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but offense is in the eye of the beheld. If someone causes offense, his job is to apologize and stop doing it. Like the Suarez affair, the "We always talk like this in South America" defense is ludicrous. They are using the word repeatedly in order to rile up their opponents and distract them from their on-the-field job. Now, you may think it's silly and "much ado about nothing." I know I certainly do, having come from a country where there exists federally mandated freedom of speech, but logic tells me that they're using that word SPECIFICALLY to cause offense. Claiming regional differences is a joke.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I noticed the new claims. I find the timing curious. Why now?

5. Clevelandmo

Exactly. And Messi has lived in Spain since he was like 12 or something. When he went to the world cup in South Africa did he go around calling everyone "negro". Probably not, I'm sure he knows better. There was a certain theme in South Africa and FIFA does have it's ongoing anti-racism campaign; was/is Messi really oblivious to this all. It is funny that so many more people (talking about comments after the news articles, not you guys) were willing to criticize Suarez for this but far less will criticize Messi. He really is soccers Messiah I guess and can do no wrong. I know Suarez is a super jerk, but Messi is not perfect. He kicked a ball hard right at the Real Madrid fans. He has pushed, spit, and head-butted people, but he still can do no wrong. Just saying. My son tells me all this stuff. He doesnt like Messi because his little brother thinks Messi is the greatest.

6. Clevelandmo

Remember, "niger" means black in Latin. I know it's not English and an extra "g" did get added, but is it really all that different? I'm not sure I buy it. Do the non negros in south america call each other blancos? Maybe that would give us the answer.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Perhaps wikipedia can shed some light:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

*edited to include more of the text

8. Clevelandmo

Come on Heather that's wikipedia. You know King Kenny got on there and made that all up
    :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rolling:

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Just because you're the best player in the world doesn't make you a decent human being. After being in a locker room for ten minutes that have a variety of races and greeds you know what's offensive and what's out of bounds. Trash talk is a part of sports, but don't bring Moms or skin color into the equation.

10. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

LOL