Derby v. FULHAM - FA Cup

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by americanmike, Jan 23, 2005.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Right then...

DISCUSS!!!!!!

2. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Glad we did not get George aBurley as our manager...it was a strong rumor at one stage!! Thye have some solid Pros (ie Ian Taylor) and a good young keeper but I think we need a good cup run this season if we are going to finish bottom half. Personally I'd like to see us put 3 past them and acyually enjoy a game for change instead of waiting for the last few minutes to relax.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

This match is huge for a few reasons. The first being that this is the FA Cup and a win over Derby would get us into the Final 16. I am a big believer that a strong cup ruin be it the FA or Carling Cups are very important to the confidence and morale of clubs like Fulham.

Continuing on the confidence thing, a win on Saturday would give Fulham an unbeaten January which is something that is huge for this club.

I do not know who is gonna play left back though on Saturday. Boca is out through suspension and Adam Green has been loaned out. Thatcher is not here and we have no one. I am guessing we are gonna see Liam Rosenior play over there or a makeshift left back for a game. It is situations like these that make this last week of January important for briniging a player or two in to the club for some depth in the defense and in midfield.

I am guessing we will win 2-0 on Saturday and continue our great form! I am also really pleased this match is on TV Live on Fox Sports World!!!

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Boca isnt out on suspension. Its only Diop and Rehman. With Diop out this means Pembridge,Clark, and Legwinski maybe in the same midfield. Then Rehman is out which means Knight might be the experinced central defender.Knight isnt a Premiership player but, if Goma cant play this might mean that Fontaine and Knight could start in the central defense.Fontaine has got like 90 minutes of football and Knight makes mistakes every match.Then Radz on the right side of the midfield. Its away to Derby but, even in that match Coleman wouldnt play a 4-4-2. Even though Fulham played much better when they went to a 4-4-2.Fulham should still win this match. 2-0.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sorry...

...I see yet another Replay coming.

With the injured mids coming back, and the slight improvement of form resulting, i dont see Cookie going back to try 4-4-2 at all.

The results have been mixed and I think it must be confusing to the team; Cole will just have to adjust.

In fact, I would be upset if he DID go to 4-4-2 - unless he's found that "magic button" to ensure the proper tactical flow through the midfield.

1-1 or 2-2

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Perhaps I am wrong, but I do think Carlos will miss this match along with Diop and Rehman. If memory serves me correctly, he picked up his fifth yellow in the Birmingham City match. According to the FA, you have 7 days to serve the suspension. If you do not have a match in that 7 day period, you must serve the next match your team plays. In Boca's case, his team does have a match within 7 days, the FA Cup match with Derby. Thus, I believe he is definitely suspended.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If Boca is suspended then that makes Coleman the worst manager in England.Because he lets Green go and Boca is the only LB on the team.He does have 5 yellow cards but, maybe hes suspended for the Villa match.

8. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I would say thats a bit harsh. Its Derby and he may want to try out another youngster at the LB position.

But moving on from your inane comment, I think the line up is going to be interesting for this match. Probably a good mix of First Team and reserve players.

I could see a 4-4-2 with McBride (to give him a run) and Cole up front. Radz definitely to be subbed in.

I hope for a most entertaining match, resulting in a Fulham Win.

9. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Ahhhh... to be able to talk about early-round FA Cup matches like we're Chelscum or Manure... quite a nice change from earlier in the season when we had to worry if we didn't have all of our First Teamers available for an early round match!

What a difference a month makes! Of course, now that I'm back in the U.S., they'll probably be Fulhamish... just to prove me wrong...

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Welcome back Jeremy! You watching the match tomorrow on FSW??

11. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Thank you for the welcome back, sir...

Alas, I will be missing it (once again), as I have to attend my cousin's (who I've met once) Bar Mitzvah... But that's better for everyone... if I don't watch, they're just that much more likely to win...

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

That sucks for you. Do you have a VCR? I will be recording the match for sure.

Unfortunately, unless Fulham gets another UEFA Cup match on TV in the next round, Fulham is not on TV until March 19th against Manchester United.

13. BostonDan

BostonDan New Member

I'll have to miss the live broadcast too. My son has a wrestling meet right at game time. FSW is rebroadcasting Saturday at (all Eastern times) 6PM and 11PM as well as 1PM Sunday.

14. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

today

I am keeping my fingers crossed, its 6.30am est in Atlanta and we have an ice storm, my mother in law came down from Chi town and brought Chi town weather with her. The trouble is with Atlanta and the surrounding areas is that if we get ice it builds up on the line trees which can fall and bring down power lines, or even ice my satellite dish up, its working right now but still 3 1/2 hours to go.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: today

Well, it was not the prettiest of displays, but we did earn the replay. I was disappointed to see Cookie go with the 4-5-1 in all honesty. Andy Cole just does not do well up front alone. I thought Volzy had a rough go of it on the right side of defense as Tommy Smith was outperforming him for the better part of the day.

Regardless, it was great goal for Collins John. In watching the match on TV, Coleman did not look happy when Collins got booked for taking hi shirt off.

All in all, we could have and should have played better, but as I said after the first Watford match, we did not get eliminated. Let's hope the replay at the Cottage comes out in our favor.

Hey, we finished January unbeaten! That is a big accomplishmnet!!! Let's hope February treats us that well!!!

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: today

Well, i been there, done that Christmas time... if it's bad, look for AEP trucks hel;ping restore... Columbus even had crews from Syracuse

The match read as though it was truly "Fulhamish".

I came in late and never could get a stream connection. and i dont have FSW. Dont guess I'll bother looking for a re-run of the match, (at my son's house) either.

17. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

That was Horrible.Volz had a horrible match. He is a good defender but, there is some matches that he plays like a Conference defender.Knight is always average in any match. Goma didnt play all that well. I mean its just his first match in about 3 months so he will probably take a match or 2 to get back to being a great defender.Rosenior had an ok match probably the best defender for Fulham.The 4-5-1 isnt working. Cole is average at best when they play a 4-5-1.Really Derby deserved a 2-3 goal win.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The next match could be very tough because alot of players play for their national teams that week.

USA vs T&T(Boca,Mcbride)

Netherlands vs England(VDS)

Netherlands U-21 vs England U-21(John)

Senegal vs Cameroon(Diop)

Wales vs Hungary(Crossley)

Thats 6 players that could be out of the replay or could be very tired if they play.Plus Rosenior might get a call up to Englands U-21 because he has played well.

19. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Derby

That was awful, we are supposed to be the premiership team, it took us 58 minutes to even get a corner, volz was burned so many times including the goal, and but for a first class save with his feet from EVDS we were out, our goal was a speculative punt down the field that somehow got missed by everyone except john who at least took it, but why OH why do we keep on with this 4-5-1 it is boring and very unattractive, yes we have been getting results but can anyone honestly say they enjoyed that.

We are just setting ourselves up to be squashed by the big uns, and if CC in all honesty can tell me and the rest of the Fulham faithful we do not need anyone else, he is either just plain lying or he looks at games a lot different than I do. The midfield was like the veterans old boys game, I did not even know leggy was playing until he missed the goal with a so called shot, the rest of the time he was missing in action, yes Clark and pembridge work hard and Boa Morte as that flash, but Clark and pembridge are past it, leggy is not good enough and boa morte should be playing up front, especially aganist lower company.

Today was a prime example of why sky in the UK stays away from us, they only showed us today because they thought there might be an upset, it certainly upset this Fulham fan.

20. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The 4-5-1 is a bad formation. Even if they are on the road they should play a 4-4-2.When Malbranque comes back they should start this team.

Volz,Goma,Boca,Rosenior
    Malbranque,Jensen,Diop,Boa Morte
    Cole,John

Play some attacking Football.That midfield could be on the of the best in the Premiership. John is a great player he should start.John could be 15-20 goals a year if he started.Diop is becoming one of the best midfielders in England. Boa Morte and Malbranque when they are both playing cause any defense problems.Jensen when he played did well. Knight isnt good enough for Premiership. With Boca and Goma back in central defense the defense should give up alot less goals.Rosenior can play at LB. I mean he isnt the best LB in England but, could do good enough to play at LB.Volz is a good defender.Cole is Cole. Hes Gonna get his 10-15 goals a year maybe 20 on a good year.Fulham have way way too much class to sit back and defend. They should try and attack more and play a 4-4-2.