Dempsey ESPN Q&A

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by dcheather, Sep 22, 2012.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I'll come off my stance on Columbus after that for one. I know we have struggled in creating great environments at matches, but I thought we'd had some in SLC, Chicago, DC to name a few that were really good. Apparantly Columbus was head and shoulders above previous efforts.

I thought he handled the Fulham stuff well. The interviewer definitely attacked that one from different angles and with repetition to get more out of him, but Clint stuck to his guns and kept it as positive as he could given the situation that transpired. I thought it was clever when asked how close Liverpool came that he told the guy he'd have to ask other people. The only new reveal there was him confirming that Fulham had told clubs he wasn't for sale at times, but that had been leaked out anyway.

Reading between the lines of this and previous info, it would seem the club weren't very realistic about the prospects of keeping either of the Dems and were too reactionary as a result. It seems that's usually the case for us, and being a smaller club, it's to be expected to a point. But I do think Mack and Co. have room to improve on that front.

Regardless, it would seem it all worked out well for the player and the club as the money we got for Clint covered the fee for Berbatov and that's a good replacement for Fulham. Dempsey looked good in the Europa match against Lazio, on the goal that was wrongly called offside, winning several free kicks from dangerous areas and linking up in attack. I think it's just a matter of time before he supplants Sigurdsson in a role that, imo, is his best natural position in a side.

3. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Really great stuff. Clint in handling the situation pretty well now and is saying all the right things. I doubt we'll ever know the whole story but it's never a clean break when you are losing such a important piece of the team. I wish he didn't have to leave but I wish him all the best, especially since he didnt end up at Liverpool. Love the shout out to Columbus too! :dance:

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I think we will know most of the story eventually, but certainly not all. I'd say we'll know more on or about December 1st.

5. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Interestingly, it now says the video is no longer available. Wonder if it's a glitch or something else. Have to check again tomorrow. Hope it comes back, I have not seen it yet.