David Healey MBE

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Jun 14, 2008.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks . . . otherwise I would have thought it was some sort of honorary business degree.

Fulham definitely need to keep him now . . . he's almost a knight.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, Stu. I had heard that something like this was in the works. This is nice for the lad, who seems to be a decent chap. Sorry about the negative post later on, but what can you say. I remember everyone getting shirty when the Beatles got their gongs.

Well done, David! Have a FUSA dancing banana! :banana: Aw, heck; have a couple more! :banana: :banana:

And now I'd like that 25 goal season, please! :D

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The list for NI was pretty thin, is that it?

Sorry if that seems snarky, but is that, or is that not, a fact?

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Congrats to David, and let me add to Don's post that the 25 goal season be in a Fulham kit. 8)

6. Lyle

Lyle New Member

The British are so silly... Sir this, Lady that. MBE blah. Congrats to David Healy for a great Euro 2008 qualifying campaign though.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

Ah, it's built on 1000 years of history - since we no longer have to put down rebellion in the shires or colonies, what else can we do? I like that we honour my fellow subjects for acts of bravery, charity or for just bringing happiness to our lives. Public recognition is good - and it's the only way we have of doing it.

The birthday list is shorter than the new years list, but I think he deserves it. He achieved a fantastic feat, scoring that many goals in a poor team -and he made Irish Eyes smile - but yes - not many other NI's in the group ;).

8. Lyle

Lyle New Member

As an American I'm glad my forefathers left that place and left all the ancient, silly name-calling/rank bull behind. One nice speech about someone can work just as well.

Yay forefathers!!!

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

It's a shame you feel that way. I don't think any place in the world runs without rank - and where they've tried it, it has been a disaster.

Countries decending from Eurpoean ancesotry seem to have some sort of honour system - for example - instead of making a speech about someone the US may give either the "Congressional Gold Medal" or a "Presidential Medal of Freedom". They also give honour citizenship to people.

In the UK we can recognise forign nationals by giving them titles - Colin Powel was made a KCB after the Gulf War and Eisenhower was given a knighthood at the end of the WWII (forigners are not allowed to use the prefix Sir and the only American who I know that does is Sir Allen Stanford).

A nice speech only works if you listen. For example I have an aquainence that has an MBE for services to industry. I did not know this and only found out because she used her title on letter headed paper sent to the local education authority. As a result I found out about a whole aspect of her life that was facinating - I was not born when they would have made the speech.

10. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Well, America ain't exactly a disaster. History books inform us about our great ancestors. That's all we need. We don't need to call Abraham Lincoln, Sir Abraham Lincoln, to know he's special.

Kings and Queens, phooey!

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Even as an American, it's sad to read. Very, very sad.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

You mean you wish the American Revolution never happened? Personally I'm quite happy my forefathers hid behind trees and blew British soldiers heads off.

You know, I mean, who likes tyranny?

Thank God America doesn't have the class issues the British have. If I ever meet the King of England I'm going to greet him with a "what's up dude". Don't really care if he's offended.

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Of all the historical figures to cite, you pick the guy who is attributed with saying http://www.quoteworld.org/quotes/8321.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah; nice "hands across the water" moment, Lyle.

You're greeting to King George VIII [whose name I believe Prince Charles will take] reminds me of a story the comedian Alan King used to tell about himself. He had just done his first Royal Command Performance and was waiting in the receiving line more nervous than he had been in his life, almost pinching himself because here he was, a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn, about to meet the Queen of England. Anyhow, as she worked her way down to him, he started trying to find the right thing to say to her that would be funny but not disrespectful. Finally, she came face to face with him, extended her hand and said,

"I enjoyed your performance, Mr. King." To which he replied,

"Thank you very much, Mrs. Queen."

15. Lyle

Lyle New Member

I'm being facetious people. Lord have mercy you all are sensitive. If the Brits can't take a little stick... they shouldn't ever dish it out, which they do in buckets.

I will greet the King with a "what's up dude" if I ever meet him though. Much like Jim Thorpe did at the 1912 Olympics in Sweden. He greeted the Swedish majesty with a 'hey King' or some such. Fantastic.

16. Archie

Archie New Member

What are the political implications of this? He is highly regarded by both sides of the sectarian divide in NI and has always come off as apolitical. He is however, the David that slew the mighty English Goliath. Now with the British royalty claiming him as one of their own, are they forcing him to choose sides? Do you think this may ruffle the feathers of some of his republican support? Will they see it as an honour, an insult, or be indifferent?