Crap guitarists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 4, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Listening to Slash on GnR Sweet Child of Mine... and how he could make the guitar 'sing', I flashed on another guy who made the claim.. in fact did the trick.

Which I thought was crap 30 years ago and havent changed my mind.. but i couldnt remember his name.

So I entered the Google search
    lamest guitarist of the seventies

And one of the results was the 2003 Rolling stone mag article;
    Top 100 guitarists.. figuring since it was Rolling Stone, he would be on that list.

Sure enough I found Dick Dale and Link Wray, neither of which should have any problem playing as good at age ninety as they did in their prime.
    - yeah, they were THAT bad.

At least Chet Atkins {style} and Les Paul {Technology} were on there
    - here's the question for Don.. who was the Atkins contemporary who was a master at five-finger?

But it took me another hour of paging thru lots of searching and dross to find Peter Frampton.
    But ..always a fair guy... i then set out to figure out WHY i thought he was crap.. i mean I knew why, but not the issues around it.

Turns out Frampton (seeing his other work) wasnt a bad guitarist.. it was his use of the

Talkbox that was so lame
    Yep.. Frampton live
    His guitar was good... it's his mouthwork that sux!

Freaking gimmicks.. why not bring back the Theremin?

/pointless rant

2. rumstove

rumstove New Member

RE: Crap guitarists {paging hatterdon}

I love effects pedals! Actually, effects in general...as long as they aren't modelling effects like Line6 and such. My personal favorite is my Dunlop Crybaby.

The Theremin is still around from time to time. I remember the Cherry Poppin' Daddies used one on a few tracks.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Merle Travis -- author of Travis Picking -- best picker alive today? An Aussie named Tommy Emmanuel

First I thought, Mr. Conservative loves Slash and Guns and Roses? Then I remembered -- Bengals; "Welcome to the Jungle."

4. pettyfog

THAT'S who I was wondering about... in Navy with a Indiana farmboy, whose hero was Travis! And he was good, himself.

Note Travis' name was nowhere on that list.

Man, I ALWAYS loved good improv Rock Geetar... but some wear out quick... that's why I slight One-Way wonders like Link Wray. Not even good music to get stoned, by.

I consider welcome to the jungle, one of GnR's lesser attempts.

5. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

my favourite pickers

Steve Vai
    Eddie Van Halen
    Brian May
    Tony Iommi
    Jimmy Page
    Jimi Hendrix

Top Two..
    Mick Ronson
    ALEX LIFESON.

bass players.. Stu Ham, Les Claypole, Geezer Butler,
    Fav.. GEDDY LEE

Drummer's....NEIL PEART

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Sigh; I'm too old for Rummy and VB and too young for 'fog.

Eric Clapton -- electrified or acoustic -- is the master of the instrument and of the blues.

7. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

Old 'slow hand' Clapton couldnt wipe the snot of Jimi's Kaftan (in this Redhouse at least)
    Oldie's but Goldies
    Pete Townsend, Steve Marriot, Ray Davis, Joe Walsh
    Acoustic pioneers..Adrian Legg, Paco di lucia

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fFakxe-ykEA
    Steve Vai's ....For The Love Of God

8. pettyfog

It's not how fast you move, VB.... and I didnt mention clapton because I figgered that was redundant.

9. BC

BC New Member

I tell you what, there are a LOT of good guitarists out there. A lot of modern rock is written such that guitarists don't get to display their chops but when you hear them play other things besides their own music, they can smoke.

I really like a good rhythm guitar part, partly because I can't solo worth a crap and partly because I just love good heavy rhythm guitar. So guys like James Hetfield, Dimebag Darrell, Dave Mustaine, etc are some favorites.

I also enjoy great blues players and guys who write great riffs, so guys like Jimmy Page, SRV, Slash, Tony Iommi, etc.

I agree with 'fog that speed isn't everything; BB King can get more out of one note that I can with twenty.

Some other favorites include Tom Morello, Jim Martin, the guys from Meshuggah, the guys from Dropkick Murphys, the list goes on and on...

I know Hatterdon plays and I do as well. Anyone else here a guitar player?

10. pettyfog

Eh.. BC you exaggerate a little, BB needs one note either side of the great one, just to show how he got there and where he's going with it.

No.. I cant play a lick - literally. I could {and did, as a kid} practice a single chord for a week and still screw it up. But I think I could tell if a guitarist had a hangnail on his middle finger.

I swear.... I gonna have to fix it so only I can put up avatars?
    Unfortunately, the code is broken somewhere... and, normally an outsize pic just wouldnt display, in our case it does.
    And we DONT wanna be messing with the code.

BC, if you want me to reduce that pic, I will ...but it's gonna lose detail if I crop and reduce it.

11. rumstove

rumstove New Member

VB--After seeing your list of favorites I take it you're a Rush fan?

Out of curiosity, when you hear Clapton's name, do you picture him playing a Gibson ES-335, Fender Strat, or acoustic? I tend to picture him playing a Stratocaster, but I know others who still think of him as a Gibson guy.

Me too! Me too! I started playing in 1990 (I was in 6th grade). BTW: I take it you go to Wabash?

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Thread hi-jack:

In your dreams, vampire boy.

OK...continue with the guitar talk.

I only played the bass when I was younger, and wasn't very good either. But then again I didn't practice much.

13. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

I've been playing the bass and gigging nearly 20 year's in various type's of music and still am not very good, its amazing , i dont practice either,

sorry i missed you at the Everton game, because err i didnt go. could'nt get out of bed (late friday knight session, the one's i told you about)
    are you still in blighty or have you crossed over already?

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I leave tomorrow morning. I just stuffed everything into the suitcase, I really hope the customs agents have to open it. It would be a real pain to re-pack it.

Yeah, I was looking for at the GL. I almost thought that mysterious person who gave you the flu might have seriously harmed you. But you're healthy now, right? :3d nervous:

I still have my bass under my bed back home. I could never get a good slap technique down, so I just gave up.

15. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

sorry I missed you before you go home, i was up to about 4 in the morning (( friday night), you should have come out ) still i expect a full report of your escapades while you was over here. and no telling porky's about me :wink:

didnt go back to work until wednesday, thank's for the excuse to have a couple of days off :lol:

16. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Someone got a new Pacman high-score! Who broke 60,000? Oh yeah... 8)

I couldn't have said it any better myself. :roll:

wheeeee

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Damn...now I have to start playing again. That'll teach me to trash-talk.

well, there is a bit more involved in me not playing anymore. I don't have the time anymore. Work, soccer, and running. Bass playing is way down on the list of things I want to do.

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, DCH, have you tried to play bass while playing soccer or running ... uh, ok, never mind. Was it an upright bass? If so, how does it fit under the bed? Never mind; don't want to know.

Ahem. Yes, Senator, I AM a crap guitarist. My gigging partner tells me I'll always have a job with him because I'm the only guy in SA who plays worse than he does. But, you know, the more I practice and the more I play, the fewer people there are who can tell that my playing really sucks.

Peace

19. BC

BC New Member

Sorry about that! I didn't realize that my avatar had actually changed. I was uploading a different picture and I didn't see any difference. I will change it back to something more appropriately sized.

Yeah, I graduated from Wabash in 1998. Monon Bell is this weekend. Can't wait. I started playing guitar at about the 6th grade level as well. What sort of stuff do you like to play?

20. rumstove

rumstove New Member

mmm, well I had to try. that's cool.

When playing guitar alone I tend to play a little bit of everything. But, my previous bands always fell into the pop-punk/rock/alternative type thing. Now I'm trying something new...playing all the intruments myself along with a Roland MC-505. I have no idea what it will sound like when I'm done.

What type of stuff do you like playing?