Cory Maye Update

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 12, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Radley Balko isnt going to forget Cory.. he blogs about a visit and gives us some background on the officer who Maye shot in the 'No-Knock'. Which gives us an idea why Cory never got justice. Turns out a tragedy for both families.

Cory Maye Background

sidenote: Despite the wonders of search engines, Wiki is the BEST way to find info on the net. Anyone who complains about its veracity is a short sighted fool.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Balko's prose is riveting and stunning. This is a tragedy for both families and for the larger community as well.

I was unaware of this, 'fog, until you posted. I've just spent a sobering 20 minutes reading and researching. Actions have consequences indeed.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Some Police/Swat drug raids could likely be ruled unconstitutional in the future. A lot of them are very likely unlawful searches. The policy behind them is questionable. It endangers police officers' and civilians' lives over drugs... not exactly a life or death situation.

The GW professor representing the guy pro bono is a conservative/libertarian/moderate by the way.

He blogs at www.volokh.com

4. pettyfog

Don:
    Yes he does have a lyrical style... I'm sure I have mentioned Maye before, though maybe in passing and a link.

Note I have been following this since Balko got interested, and I found it through one of those 'Hateful RIGHT WING RACIST BLOGS'.. as I found this up-date. In fact the case has been mentioned and pointed to on several conservative blogs and none of them say it's anything but a travesty.

and it's all the more interesting because No-Knock was first broached in the Nixon presidential campaign. 'War on Drugs' is the perfect vehicle for it.

And it HAPPENS OVER AND OVER! And it only makes news when someone gets killed and that only happens every six months or so....

It seems to me that there would be less political divisiveness if the Lib sides like HuffPo and Kos spent more time on things like this. It's something we can agree on... but that wont happen because this cant be blamed on Bush.
    And it only concerns a few people rather than the un-constitutional danger of someone accidently dialing Syria when you meant to just order a pizza!

Sidenote { Because 'Everythings Connected'}: I am gathering info on Mike Huckabee's background weaknesses.

Which I will post later , but it DOES NOT LOOK GOOD!
    - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -
    Lyle: Glad you read Eugene. His site is one of my top ten in bookmark blogs folder. First: Instapundit, {Glenn Reynolds, law professor at the University of Tennessee. With a really hot and smart wife!}

[​IMG]
    and Second:CaptainQuarters {A 'Civilian' with common sense and a call center background, like me} then Third:Powerline {Which is run by THREE LAWYERS!}

Imagine that... and me with a generally REALLY low opinion of lawyers!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Lyle, not surprised that a conservative would take up the cudgel in this case. Small government conservatives should be aghast at this sort of thing as much as liberals who may also be civil libertarians.

Speaking of which, for every three right-wing conservative Libertarian candidates down our way, there's one left-wing liberal Libertarian candidate also running. Their common ground? Each "side" is alarmed at the expansion of government power and the abuse of that power, and each "side" is disgusted at his/her natural political party doing nothing but rubber stamping.

Side note: I heard on the news yesterday that federal guidelines for crack/powder cocaine have just been levelled. For those who weren't aware, one oz. of crack cocaine could get you the same jail time as TEN oz. of powder. The difference? When the guidelines were set, crack was the drug of the poor and powder was the drug of the rich.

And, 'fog, I'm not going to rise to your bait about left-wing bloggers. I'll just encourage you to contine to -- occasionally -- give us a link to somebody with no partisan axe to grind, especially if he can write like that.

6. pettyfog

It WASNT bait.
    I assure you that when Huffpo and Kos agree on something like this, it's remarked, on the blogs I read.

LAST time I recall was on net/blogger issues

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, I'm not a big supporter of Swat drug raids. Swat/Paramilitary police are there for hostage takings and Columbine like events; not drug busts.

I read Volokh routinely. Use to read Instapundit (Glenn Reynolds) regularly... only on occaision now (on a side note a met, in China of all places, one of the bloggers (Singapore girl) on his original blog roll -- small world). Andrew Sullivan I read and e-mail. He "published" one of my e-mails once. He's e-mailed me back a bunch of times. Lately I find myself disagreeing with him more and more. Two or three years ago something went wrong with him.

Christopher Hitchens is my hero though. Love him. Read and watch as much of him as I can.

Mostly I read Arts and Letters Daily and all the major daily papers online.

Also Der Spiegel and the Economist.