Continental Boca

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Oct 24, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Boca is adapting to life in France.

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

And adapting rather well. A very stylish Rennes team, for sure.

FRANCE. Defender Carlos Bocanegra, in his 27th straight start for Rennes after joining the Ligue 1 club last summer, scored his first league goal on a close-range header in the ninth minute of a 2-0 win over Auxerre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0y4KzGAaUw&eurl

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Kinda funny... look for the "Should we have kept Boca?" on the offal

concensus: Head says NO, heart's anuvver f'ing.

I agree. Whatever the cause he seemed to have a cloud over him in the D. Maybe it was because of the bad start he had, pair-up and position wise.

4. EricD

EricD New Member

That was a nice re-direct on the near post. I am assuming that play developed off a corner given his positioning in the box.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Actually, I think it was the extra two spaces on the bench that made him expendable. He could cover CB, LB, and defensive mid in case or injury. Once the bench expanded, his reputation as a "utility man" actually hurt him.

There's no doubt that we're stronger at CB and defensive mid without him, although there've been several games I'd have preferred him at LB to Konchesky. I also don't think he'd have rattled the bar as much as the Hangman -- I think they'd have gone in. The guy is magic on corners, as we've seen in the Black and white and the Red, White, and Blue over and over.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Nice to see Bocanegra doing well and enjoying his time. Thanks Barry!

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Yeah Boca!!!!!!!!!!

8. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Good for him.
    He's always a tireless worker and it's good that he's being appreciated by the Rennes fans for it.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

however, his side lost the French FA Cup final, and Rennes are two position places away from a Europa League spot. Who would have thought, back in November, that Fulham would be better placed for Europe than Stade Rennes?

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Scores Again! Someone is coming into form at the right time.

Rennes win 1-0, Boca stops a 3 game losing streak for them

13. LaxAttack

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Almost a year since a shout and a highlight. Will we ever give him his due?

15. LaxAttack

16. jmh

jmh New Member

From a team that finished 9th with a +11 goal differential to a team that finished 17th with a -18 GD.

Mouhamadou Dabo, a French-Senegalese natural right back, played the most games at left back for Saint-Etienne last season, but recently moved to Sevilla on a free transfer. Sevilla haven't really found a long-term replacement at right back since they sold Dani Alves to Barcelona two summers ago, and it's possible that they might see Dabo, who was called into the French national team by Raymond Domenech but has not yet been capped, as a contender for that role, but that's besides the point, which is that Saint-Etienne don't really have an incumbent left back. Additionally, Pape Diakhate, who played the second-most games for Saint-Etienne at center back last year, was on loan from Dynamo Kiev and has, I think, returned to the Ukrainian club, so there may be an opening at center back as well.

And finally, because the Internet tells me these things, Saint-Etienne is twinned with Des Moines, Iowa.

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

St. Etienne is also responsible for the 1991 cover hit of Neil Young's "Only Love Can Break Your Heart."

Good luck, Boca!