College Football: "The Game!"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 15, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's as much, or more, fun to watch the hype on the OSU/Michigan game as it is to think about the results.

And it's not just on ABC/ESPN... though their commercials are pretty good.

1. Guy and Gal making out on sofa, he wearing a Buckeye shirt, she wearing Michigan colors: voiceover - "Without sports, this wouldnt be DISGUSTING!"

2. Guy riding with chick, she says: "I'm from Michigan.. GO WOLVERINES!"
    He bails out at 45 mph.."Go Bucks!"

I'm thinking this is gonna be TV's highest rated non-bowl game, ever...
    - - - - - - - - - -

Good thing we have Bobby Knight and Randy Moss to keep us from becoming over-saturated with talk about the 'big game'.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Go Buckeyes!!!

Smash the Big Ten's version of the Blue Poo!

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Go Wolverines!! I have been waiting for this game for a long, long time. I have nothing bad to say about Ohio State, but since my older brother was six or seven and he started following Michigan (because of their helmets) I followed his lead and have taken up Michigan as my team.

It should be a good game. Both teams can make arguments as to why each team can win. I will keep my thoughts and ideas on this to myself. I just hope Michigan wins.

4. pettyfog

Actually, although I obviously root for the Bucks, I'm a big believer in momentum, statistical leveling and team psychology... all of which points to a Michigan win.

If I'm wrong and OSU wins, esp if they win big, then they are CLEARLY superior.
    - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -

Because of their HELMETS!!!!!

I cant say for sure, because I've always lived in the shadows of Buckeyes... but ever since I was a kid: 'EWwwwwww, Yuch!'

To make myself perfectly clear, when the Bengals came up with the striped helmets, my only consoling thought was that Michigan's helmets were STILL uglier!

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

The helmets are fantastic Petty! The colors and the design of them are great!! It is strange to find out how we flock to the various different teams we support. Some we have good reasons, others we really do not.

For Michigan, I can't say the helmets are a great reason, but I have stuck with the team through the past 20 years or so. GO BLUE!

6. pettyfog

Maybe you're too young..... the design is straight out of the 20's.

"Twenty Three skidoo... and all that!"

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Go BLUE!!!!! Hate Ohio State football....all because I took a class a few years ago and some dork in the class just went off on how great Jim Tressell was....every single day til it got to the point that I hated Jim Tressell becuase of that idiot that wouldn't shut his mouth. Now I hope the Wolverines shut their mouths.......do it....DO IT NOW!!!!!

8. pettyfog

Re: RE: College Football: "The Game!"

Well, I can understand that!

But he is... you just have to understand that guy's point of view... especially after we were saddled with John Cooper all those years.

And us having to listen to how great Lloyd Carr was.. all the worse cause it was true.

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: College Football: "The Game!"

To be honest with you, I think Lloyd Carr is a great coach. The guy who in my opinion is overrated is Bo Schembechler. Yes, he did a nice job with the program, but he delivered no national championships at all. With all the talent Michigan has had over the years, he should have won at least one national title.

Michigan has two national titles I believe whereas Ohio State has six. Michigan needs to catch up and a good way to do that would be to win on Saturday.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Yea, I don't get the attraction to Michigan's helmets. First, I don't understand what the hell it is supposed to be (a flying bat?), and second, what the hell does it have to do with a Wolverine or Michigan.

I do know enough about Michigan to know that Tom could be strung up on the UNiversity of Michigan campus for his last post, however.

11. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Michigan v Ohio State I guess I don't care who wins as they are both Big 10 (11). I just hope the winner doesn't screw up and lose in the BCS championship game.

As for the Michigan helmets: they make no sense to me, but I like them.

12. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: Re: RE: College Football: "The Game!"

LOL! If this were a Michigan board I would be crucified.

13. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: College Football: "The Game!"

Yeah... well, I always thought Woody was a better historian than a coach, but I didnt play for him, and his players loved {almost all} or hated {just a few}him...

Wonder where Bobby Knight got his coaching ideas.. hmmmm?

14. pettyfog

Michigan 24 OSU 20

The Bo factor just overruled home field advantage

-sigh-
    {I wont be on here during the game... going to watch with my Dad}

15. pettyfog

Show's what I know... gotta stop looking at stats so much.

16. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Both teams played great and Ohio State showed they are the best in the nation. In my mind today was the national championship game because UM and OSU are the two best teams in the country.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Michigan did well against the only quality top-flight team they play all year. The BCS is a joke, so I think there'll be a rematch. Note to NCAA: Either

a) have a real playoff system, OR
    b) stop declaring a national champion.

This is NCAA's only sport and division without a playoff. I'm fine with that, as long as there's no "national champion" declared.
    Excuse me Bill Maher: NEW RULE

1. Go back to 10 game seasons.
    2. Play your in-state/regional rival Thanksgiving week.
    3. Play conference championship games the following week.
    4. Return bowl games to their function as rewards for good seasons. Let the players and fans have fun again.
    5. If you don't win a majority of your conference games, you don't go to a bowl. If this means fewer bowls, HOORAY!
    6. All polls and rankings end with the last conference game.
    7. Either stop referring to football coaches as "educators" or mandate a pay scale restricting head football coaches to the same salaries as full professors, and restrict Athletic Director pay to that of other department heads.
    8. Stop pretending that Division 1 athletics has anything to do with the prime mission of college campuses. Go ahead and hire a team of professionals and pay them. It's criminal for the coaches and athletic departments to make a ton of money from the players when the only players who get anything are the 1/10 of 1 percent that go on to play professionally -- and in many cases for fewer years than they played at the university for free.

Hmmm; this was going to be a three sentence comment and it turned into a rant. I just get a little wrapped 'round the axle by the NCAA, the networks, and the religion of pointy football and the great gods coaches.

18. pettyfog

No, Don... you seem to be wrapped around the axle of the SEC and Big 12 paradigms.
    You're still thinking in terms of Darrel Royal and Bear Bryant..... and especially, Jerry Tarkanian the win at any price ex-coach at UNLV.

The Big Ten and several other 'football factory' schools have hired 'sensitive' Presidents, typically women executives, and many of them have had their eyes opened.
    The UC/ Bob Huggins firing issues as well as incidents at Xavier U have served to address some of your issues.
    When the heads of OTHER departments start bringing in the same revenue as Football and Basketball then raise THEIR salaries to match that of the coaches... but, oh wait, isnt that already the case?
    Tell that to players who played under Bo and Woody... tell that to Troy Smith, who was going down the road to obscurity by not focussing on what was important in life, because his discipline was lacking.. hell, look at Maurice Clarett who took the wider road.

No buddy... your warm, fuzzy why cant we all get along 'victim' viewpoint is wrong again.

Sorry.
    - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -
    Here's a good stumper for you.. if you had a kid who played football or basketball and he got an offer of a full-ride at Northwestern or Miami of Ohio, would you jump on it?

19. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

NCAA Football is a business, so I don't ever think we will see a playoff unless the they can figure out a way to make more money.

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No, I'm sorry. I can't believe how incredibly stupid I was. I'll try never to be that ignorant again.

Thanks, as always, for your clear-headed guidance. What would we all do without you?