Coleman Going ?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by EssexFan, Apr 1, 2007.

1. EssexFan

EssexFan New Member

Don't be too surprised if Chris Coleman leaves Fulham at the end of the season.
    He is under increasing pressure to go from fans who are fed up with his negative tactics and the boring football Fulham are serving up.
    On Fulham's official web-site there are lots of calls for him to go, as well as fans shouting out to him at yesterday's match "that you don't know what your doing"

Think he is getting fed up with the increasing unrest, which also included certain player's being booed while playing.
    While I don't agree with the booing of player's or Chris, I must admit that I think that it's time for a change to a more attacking form of football and I don't think we are going to get it from Chris, which is a big shame.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think there may be something to that.

As a long time observer of the game and sport in general, I have seen this happen before. In fact it happened in the US College basketball ranks just a few weeks ago. The head coach of a very high profile program was under fan fire for the same reasons. He left for a lower pressure program.

Some Fulham fans though, see unreasonable outcomes. They either blame the players for it.. or suggest bringing in better assistants to help Coleman.

Both views show they could use some education:

If it's the players' fault, then Coleman has to shoulder the blame for that. They are his product and it's his job to get the best out of of them.

If Coleman has Assistants that arent up to it, it's his responsibility..UNLESS those assistants were foisted on him.
    In which case, it's his job to get better ones. If the club wont allow that, then he should leave. The apprenticeship is over.

If they WERENT foisted on him, then he is placing friendship and loyalty over performance. And he should leave.

Draw your own conclusions.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

all good points, Essex Fan and 'fog [agreed with fog, 4/1/07 0917 CST].

But the last thing this club needs is to bring in a new coaching staff and present them with the players Cookie has used to keep us afloat and THEN provide that new coach with the same lack of transfer cash.

HatterDon prediction: if the people on the offal who really believe that Cookie should have had this team [with its size and cash limitations and its early season injury trauma] up in the top 6 get their wish and Cookie leaves, then Fulham will be relegated at the end of next season.

How many of those moaners will then say, "we were better off with Coleman. We might not have been pretty, but at least we were in the Prem?"

We're a small club on a small budget. Cookie has done a good job.

4. EssexFan

EssexFan New Member

I have got a lot of time for Chris Coleman as he was one of our best player's and also an excellent captain, and I really wish he would be more adventurous but after fours years of Coleman rule it just isn't going to happen.

You must remember that season ticket's to watch Fulham are not cheap (about £500 I believe) and the cost of watching football in England is very expensive, especially if you go to away games.
    Therefore it is not surprising that fans are getting fed up with the quality of football that is being served up.

I for one want to be entertained with good free flowing football, and I'm not that worried about if it's in the Premiership or not, though I would prefer to stay.
    I've been a Fulham supporter since 1959 so I have seen it all before.

PS. Mind you it was a lot easier to park my car in the "good old 3rd division days." :lol:

5. VonBilly

VonBilly New Member

The last part of this interview seem's relevent....

AFTER a week in which Ian Pearce’s manager Chris Coleman had added strength to the chorus blaming Baby Bentleys and their like for driving Premiership footballers still further from the understanding of the working man, it was fitting this game belonged to the unsung, the understated and the silent.

The Fulham defender ticks all three of those boxes and, quite predictably, according to Coleman, did not stick around to receive or milk plaudits after scoring the equaliser that lifted his team a point further from relegation despite barely being able to walk on damaged ankle ligaments.

The 32-year-old, who Coleman revealed eschews the footballer’s staple of “a flash car or even a flash watch”, much to the amusement of some team-mates, scored the 92nd-minute equaliser and simply hobbled down the tunnel before going to hospital for an X-ray and then back home to his family.

Pearce should not, by rights, have been on the pitch after damaging his right ankle in a saving challenge on Benjani just after the hour.

But with Coleman having used his subs in his efforts to cancel out Nico Kranjcar’s early opener, he stayed on the pitch in obvious discomfort.

His shot from the edge of the box, with his injured right foot no less, took a wicked deflection past keeper David James to deny Portsmouth the three points at the death and was due reward for Pearce’s bravery.

The man himself was, of course, unavailable for comment afterwards, just as he has been through a four-club career that started on Chelsea’s youth books in 1991 and carried on via Blackburn, West Ham and now the Cottagers.

But his skipper Michael Brown and manager Coleman were on hand to fill in gaps.

It was put to Brown that Pearce represented the polar opposite of the Premiership playboy.

“He probably is,” said Brown. “He’s a down to earth lad. He is a Premiership winner [with Blackburn in 1995] and you wouldn’t know.

“He never mentions it and he should do because everyone else would. He is a seriously good role model for the younger players.”

Yet Pearce has not always had the best relationship with the fans, who gave him a hard time when he first arrived despite playing through a raft of injuries. Work that out.

Coleman had reason to empathise after sections of the crowd voiced their disapproval of his methods with the terribly fashionable chants of “You don’t know what you’re doing”.

Pompey manager Harry Redknapp lamented the “phone-in culture” while Coleman suggested that if the club were fed up with him maybe it was time for a change of scene for all concerned.

“I don’t have a problem with the chairman but fans and managers get bored and perhaps we will review it in the summer,” he said.

By Gideon Brooks
    Daily Express