1. rumstove

rumstove New Member

First, on Saturday C.Jensen was hit by a coin. Read about it here. booo...

The next day Robin van Persie was hit in the head while Arsenal was playing at West Ham. Although the Wenger-Pardew bust up took the headlines, the coin incident is mentioned in this story and here in picture #8. Once again, booo...

Is this coin throwing thing something new? I've heard of random things being thrown from time to time, but two coin-throwing problems that actually hit players in one weekend?

Anyways, I agree with the managers that say if the culprits can be found they should be banned.

2. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I would think the lack of imagination in East London lead to a copy cat incident. Coins have been thrown before, but it is more common in Italy and Turkey. (People talk about English hooligans, but our scum are nothing compared to the Neo-Nazi thugs that follow some Italian teams).

A few years back a Spurs fan threw a bottle at a player, as a result bottle lids are now banned from Craven Cottage.

Hopefully the person who throw the coin was caught on CCTV and will be prosecuted.

3. rumstove

rumstove New Member

I agree GBFC, the West Ham/Arsenal incident was most likely a copy cat act. And as for getting hit by a bottle: ouch, that would really hurt!

Anyways, the FA has now launched investigations into both incidents...read here.

4. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I was shocked watching both coin throwing acts as well. Is the coin symbolic of something or they just didn't need the extra change?

I find it odd that Jensen was hit right in front of the Everton section, but Moyes doesn't believe it to be a Blue fan. So let me get this straight, one of our fans is sitting in the away stands and thought it would boost our chances of the corner kick if Jensen couldn't see because there is a coin in his eye!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wish I could say it were, GBFC, but I can remember all manner of stuff being thrown at players -- especially keepers -- in the early 70s. There was a lot of talk about building moats around pitches and screens at the beginning of stands. The worst I can remember was the Leeds United keeper getting darts thrown at him at a match somewhere in London.

The Brits have done a marvelous job in de-yobbing the stadia in the league. There's a lot more children and women in the parks than there used to be as a result, but there's obviously more that needs to be done.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Moyes appears to be, by any objective standard, an idiot. No doubt he has endeared himself to the Everton scum now, but he most certainly has lessened his standing with those of us who know civility is a pillar of our society.

7. GaryBarnettFanClub

Colman was scaything of the Fulham fans that invaded the pitch after the Chelsea game last season. Moyes should learn that the game is more important than partisan loyalties.

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

Everton finally come out and condemn the coin thrower.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 124884.stm

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Still nothing from Moyes though. What a punk.

10. BC

BC New Member

And let me tell you, getting hit with a 1 quid coin would hurt! Those things are somewhat hefty, relatively speaking.

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

I understand the coin was a 50 pence peice. It does not take Sherlock Holmes to work out that Everton fans would not have thrown it, that would have been half their dole money! Now, if it had been tuppence....

12. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Anyone who throws a coin is a tosser.

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

So it was an Everton fan then.

14. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

We had a similar incident at the Monday Night Football game here in Minnie a few weeks ago... after NE scored one of their many touchdowns, some yokel tossed a full beer bottle at two of the Pats celebrating in the endzone...

Thankfully, the fans around him had no problem ID'ing him to the authorities... the only bad part was, by the time they caught up to him he was in a very crowded men's room... so I couldn't get in there to do my business until after they got him out... on the bright side, they did let him pull his pants up before they hauled him out in cuffs...

15. GaryBarnettFanClub

What kind of person thows away beer. It is a very sick world we live in.

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I recall seeing a keeper hit in the head with a flair during an Argentine game. Coins are bad but thats out of hand.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

He'd have had a tough time throwing a 10-bob note more than a few inches!

Damned new currency!

18. GaryBarnettFanClub

Sadly there were 2 more coin throwing incidens in the FA cup yesterday.

Newport fans put a 4th official in hospital overnight, the incident was inflamed by the manager being sent off and shoving the ref, in the post match interview the manager virtually congratulated the coin thrower!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 139794.stm

The second incident was in a bad tempered game, the coin did not hit anyone but one of the bristol rovers players had a jaw broken by a punch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 141196.stm

No wonder fans cannot behave if the managers and players act like animals. We have worked hard over 15 years to remove scum from football and allow families back in. :cry: