Clark gone?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by cottager32, May 23, 2005.

1. cottager32

cottager32 New Member

The following link to ESPN's Soccernet lists 6 Fulham players released today. Lee Clark appears to be one of them. Disappointing as he seemed to bring a certain intensity to the games and exhibited a strong desire to win which sometimes seemed lacking in some of his teammates.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=252775&cc=5901

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I think it had to do with his wages as well as the fact that he is getting older and doesn't have the pace.

He does have the leadership though and sometimes that irreplacable. I wonder who our next captain will be.

3. martin

martin New Member

Best of luck to him. He is still a useful player and I hope he finds another home in the Premiership.

Cheers,
    Martin

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I bet he ends up with Sunderland or perhaps Wigan. Just a guess though.

5. sfm

sfm Member

I was afraid of this when I heard he teared up during the lap of honour last week at the Cottage. Whilst Clarkey clearly lacks his old pace, he was a steadying influence in midfield, especially after Steed's injury mid-season and with a young (ex-Goma) back four. I had the pleasure of seeing this up close my only visit to the Cottage this season, when we went down an early goal in the 4th rd FA cup replay when his intelligent passing, hard tackling and pacing kept us together in what became a 4-2 AET rout of Derby. It was not unlike Frank DeBoer's contribution for Holland in last year's Eurocup. I would love nothing more than seeing him earn his badge and join Cookie's coaching staff. After his own painful injury, he can perhaps relate to Lee Clark's predicament better than anyone.

I do wish him the best and am proud to wear his shirt: He is a Fulham man through and through!

6. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

I was a critic in the middle of the season, but he got better as he regained fitness. I think I may have judged too quickly and Fulham will miss his leadership.