Clarification, please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, May 17, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't really care to respond to pretty much anything Pettyfog posts, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't understand his constant references to "the teleprompter." I mean I understand that he's denigrating the president for not writing his own speeches and for reading his speeches from a teleprompter, but does whoever started this cuteness [Rush? Coulter?] believe that previous presidents wrote their own speeches, and does he believe that President Obama is the first president to use a teleprompter?

Is that all you got? Like every president since Abe Lincoln, he uses speechwriters and like every president since Eisenhower, he uses a teleprompter? Or am I missing something?

Just asking.

2. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Don, while I don't presume to speak for Petty, I would simply throw out this bit clarification...

Ever since the campaign days, it has often been noted in the media that Obama uses the teleprompter far more frequently than others. Even for brief appearances that would typically have a more spontaneous vibe, he and his team carefully stage manage the whole thing and set up a teleprompter.

No judgements on that from me...just the clafication you asked for.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Added:
    Don: You not only understand wrong, you seem to be incapable of grasping nuance. AS YOU KNOW.. and you know I know..No Pres writes his speeches but if ever one COULD it's Obama.

While it's fun to photo'shop images like the above, because of his early traits shown in off the cuff responses. .. He's not exactly eloquent responding in real time.. {whereas Dubya WAS, compared to his staff prepared speeches} but he tended to get his talking points wrong.
    Which brings us to WHY I refer so much to the gadget.

What he's saying is not necessarily his view but Axelrod and/or Emanuel, approved.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, JP-STL.