Clapton and lesser things.. like Knopfler

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 11, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dunno how I started thinking about it, but something led me off on an Eric Clapton netsurfing tangent, and following the leads I came across an article that he had essentially sneaked into the US/Ecuador game at Crew Stadium in 01. Private Entrance, empty loge and all.

That's heartbreaking. Somehow I was under the impression that he more or less roamed freely around Columbus when in town at the in-laws. Not that he wouldnt be recognized and pestered a LITTLE, but .. ah, well.

Anyway, THEN I saw he had three versions of Wonderful Tonight on youTube.. and found that they were distinctly different.

Here's one: the authorized

Another longer, more soulful version

And one with Mark Knopfler

I like em all.. but think I like the second one better. The Third, while {sounding to me} technically best, is a little too smaltzy.

so... now look at Knopfler's various LATER versions of Sultan of Swing..
    - Note: One of those is obviously over-dubbed. It doesnt count
    Do you get the impression that on the live versions EXCEPT where Clapton was on the stage with him he simply didnt give a crap about the best part of the song... the guitar. You have to go back twenty years, to Wembley Though it's too muddy.
    But evidently With Clapton, he wanted to impress. Shame... I guess if I buy it again, I'll take the long studio version.

Here's a good, not the best Clapton Live Layla

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

bless you for bringing God to us this Sunday evening ... and St. Mark also.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I am not profane... I have decided this hour to call Clapton, the "Sultan of Stratocaster"

Update: I just recalled that he's been seen at several games at Crew Stadium {Guess his wife's a Daddy's Girl?.. OR the grandparents insist on having the three offspring visit} and while he still watches from the corporate loges, he doesnt hesitate to say, or wave, hi.

_ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _

And how could PF visit Youtube without flogging a new Weird Al find...

This time an overcut of Ode to a SuperHero with the Spiderman 1 and 2 intro scenes to match the lyrics.... or did I do this before? Anyway one of the best!