Christmas Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dcheather, Dec 20, 2006.

1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Every year I resist the relentless barrage of Christmas music that starts playing 24/7 on radios starting in late October. It's just too early for that stuff and kills the mood come Christmas time.

But now, I'm fully into Christmas music.

My favorite Christmas albums:

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi
    "A Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole

Any one else have some recommendations or favorite albums (or songs)?

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I was playing the CB Christmas CD at work the other day, and I have to agree with Heather on that one. Also, anything by Mannheim Steamroller gets me in the Christmas spirit. The music is so bright and energetic!

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

DCH, your generation has NO IDEA... right Don?

Though I think you're exaggerating a little about 'october'

I also go with Mannheim with a few oldies thrown in

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: Christmas Music

Still trying to get my hands of a copy of "The Edge of Christmas" Album.
    http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=tqUeWbrWrfP

Great tracks include The Pretenders' 2000 Miles, and a great duet with the Pogue's Shane MacGown and the tragically deceased Kristy MacColl on Fairytale of New York.

As far as Christmas song that will nearly bring a tear to your eye (but not mine, ever, seriously), check out Dave Matthews Band's Christmas Song.
    http://www.google.com/musics?lid=uFXFaf ... ciR-RDtrOH

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We listen to:

Vince Guaraldi,
    "Yule Be Swingin'" [a compilation of jazz christmas songs],
    "An a'capella Christmas" [by the The Merrie Court Singers]*,
    "We Three Kings" [by the Jazz Protagonists]*

* San Antonio Artists

6. Jux

Jux New Member

93.9 here in Columbus went to all Christmas music the first week in November. I know this because I made a comment when I went into a Hallmark that week to pick up an anniversary card for MrsJux. The whole place had been converted into Christmas mode. That's when I was informed that a few radio stations had already started to play the seasonal music. I typically resist the urge until the day after Thanksgiving.

FFCinPCB, I agree with you on the Dave Matthews song. They featured it on an earlier "A Very Special Christmas." I think it is the same version from the Live at Luther College CD.

My corny addition to the thread: I just picked up the Alvin and the Chipmonks CD to replace the aging vinyl copy I had as a kid.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Whiich was probably a replacement for the edition YOUR DAD had as a kid.

... my point to Don was there was a time in the early sixties, when all the radio station were AM.. and only the one or two local top ratings rock stations didnt go to the christmas format at least Dec 1st.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and most of the Christmas songs that the rock and country bands did were awful!

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I may have been a little bit exaggerating, it's very much possible to avoid the radio station that did in fact switch to Christmas music in late October (a few days before Halloween).

Good recommendations so far. I don't know what it is with jazz and Christmas songs, but they're usually the best.

I also recommend Harry Connick, Jr.

Somebody in the office was playing a Christmas jazz cd from artists from the New Orleans area, but I wish I remember what it was. Sadly, that person already left office for the holidays. UGH.

10. RDG

RDG Member

Nancy LaMott (R.I.P) -- "Just In Time for Christmas"
    A wonderful album sung by someone who understands the lyrics. The title song is incredible.

Sadly, Michael Feinstein hasn't released a holiday album, even though he does a Christmas song gig at his club every year. He also does a duet on the above album.

11. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

You sound like my Dad...Oooo, I just got the chills.

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

XM have five different stations dedicated to Christmas music (classical, contemporary, country, ecclectic, and traditional). They waited to start until the day after Thanksgiving, as I recall, and they all end on the 25th.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

When I was a kid we used to listen to the Elvis Christmas LP, it had various carols on it, I listen to that. I also like the various Christmas offerings by Slade.