Can we beat Mexico

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

with so many of our best players unavailable. I know we did it with Sweden but they didnt have their best either. Does anyone know Mexico's team well? Will they have their best XI?

I'll be very interested if the ticket sales strategy will prevent the Mexican fans from outnumbering the American fans. I so wanted to fly down to Houston to see the game, but it's my husbands Bday and he did not want to go. Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Which "best players" are you referring to?

Howard
    Moor-Gooch-Boca-Pearce
    Donovan-Bradley-Edu-Dempsey
    Altidore-Adu

We look light at Right Back, but otherwise, who else were you expecting?

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

well Crimey, I've been following the training camp for this game and I hadnt heard a peep about Howard or Dempsey or Gooch or Boca or Bradley. That's fantastic!!!!!!!! I want to see Gooch mess with Borgetti again.

Thanks for clueing me in. Go USA.

4. EricD

EricD New Member

Mexico is bringing in Dos Santos and Marquez from Barca, Pardo from Stuttgart, Salcido from PSV, Guardado from D Coruna and he is bringing back Sinha (naturalized Mexican via Brazil). They will have others such as Magallon, Torrado and Bautista from the Mexican league. It is a top team from Mexico.

I thought the team would basically be the same team that played Sweden, but the game falls on an international fixture date, so Bradley Sr called in 12 European based players for the match: Boca, Dempsey, Howard, Bradley Jr, Feilhaber, Lewis, Adu, Convey, etc... in addition to the MLS players such as Edu, Altidore, LD, etc... Even Stuart Holden got a call up.

I thought the team would be light due to the Europeans missing as well as losing out in the U-23s training for the Olympics, but I think Bradley saw that Sanchez was bringing in his best, so he countered.

This should be a good match. GO USA!!!

5. EricD

EricD New Member

Borgetti is not on the roster for this game. Word is that he expressed a desire to play in South Africa in 2010.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think Gooch also requested that Borghetti play in South Africa in 2010! :big grin:

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Wind up! When, recently, have we not beat Mexico??

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Mexico has been cruising on reputation since Hugo Sanchez retired.

9. ToviFromSantaBarbara

ToviFromSantaBarbara New Member

i like the group that we called, it's the NO EXCUSES group. Being in Houston, I think we got this one, i say 2-1 USA.

10. Fulhamerica1423

Fulhamerica1423 New Member

Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

Where did you come up with this line-up because I'd do extreme things for this to be the actual starting line-up Wednesday. Altidore gets his 1st goal and Bradley adds on late, 2-0 RED WHITE AND BLUE

11. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

RE: Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

When I first read that I was like what the fu**??? I thought that the U-23 players were away training for Olympic Qualifying and the Euorpean players would be left out but good job...Here is who's on the squad...12 Euorpean based players

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 40&cc=5901

Here's my lineup though...

-------------------Howard----------------------

Boca--Gooch--------------Parkhurst--Pearce

-------------------Bradley----------------------
    Dempsey---------------------------------Davis
    ------------------Donovan----------------------

-------------Jozy----------Adu------------------

12. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

RE: Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

Now - it would make entirely too much sense to put Landon in midfield.
    I'm sure he'll be up top (for some reason). And, I'm sure we can expect all his corners to hit the first defender and bounce away harmlessly...

Now that Gooch is in Belgium, haven't heard how is he playing - has he recovered his form?

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

Boca WHERE? :shock:

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Nobody wants the US to beat Mexico more than me -- especially when the match is in Texas, but the Deuce needs to sit this one out. I'd really rather prefer that he didn't even make the trip home. Unfortunately, because the match is in East Texas, he'll probably play A LOT and miss most if not all of the 'boro match.

Wednesday night is my night to work with the band, so I'll miss this live and in the chatroom. Here's my preferred starting lineup for the match.

---------------- Guzan -------------------

Moor ----- Gooch ----- Parkhurst --- Pearce

----------- Bradley ---------- Edu -------------

Adu--------- Donovan -------------- Convey

------------------- Altidore --------------------

A little 4-5-1. I know I'll get screams 'cause I didn't list Feilhaber, but he's not got a lot of work recently, and I'd like to see Bradley link with Edu.

Chief subs: Howard; Boca, Robinson; Clark, Feilhaber; Dempsey

USA 2 Mexico 1

by the way, anybody else but me think it was weird that Bradley added Eddie Lewis to the squad AFTER he got an injury that's supposed to keep him out for 6-8 weeks? :shock:

COYRWB!!!!

15. Fulhamerica1423

Fulhamerica1423 New Member

I agree whole-heartly Edu IMO has won the starting job. As Boca hasn't been starting lately for FFC, I would put money on it that BB gives him the pity start against Mexico.

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well hell we beat them all the time I see no reason why we won't do it again.

17. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

That is exactly why I would have Davis in the starting line-up. I think he played well enough against Sweden to make the starting XI based on his free kicks alone.

All of his services, except one corner, I remember being exceptional and I had honestly never heard of this guy before. So I put him on the left only because I have no idea what midfield position he actually plays. Can anybody help me out here???

COYRWB!!!

18. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Can we beat Mexico

Oh Man, OH Man, OH MAN!!! Yes, YES YESSSSSS!!! A real game with the real team against a real Mexico squad.

I LOVE IT! My Wednesday just got much more interesting!!!

19. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Agreed! I will be snowed in here waiting all day for this one to go down!

Hopefully the mailman will be able to get here sometime this winter with the Fultime that your sending over Don!

U.S. 3-0 Mexico

20. jlough

jlough New Member

The US-Mexico match is possibly a preview of things to come. With both sides having young, new, exciting players, it could be a great match. Or Mexico could whine, complain, foul, lose and proclaim they were the better team. Old way or new way. Time will tell. I have a meeting so I hope I can figure out how to program the DVD-R. It worked last night for the FanZone Fulham-Austin Villa match. That is a DVD worth saving.