Campaign Finance changed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 21, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

An important decision from SCOTUS:

powerlineblog - Paul{Everton fan}
    Volokh

Bottom line is free speech and advocacy cannot be denied Corporations or Labor Unions under pretense of Corruptive Activities using monies not solicited for that purpose.
    Note this killed part of McCain-Feingold. Sen McCain is probably happy about that, too.

What is not clear to me is the effect on corporations that own news subsidiaries.
    I am ALL FOR disclosure of who is paying for the ad.

And I would like to see news organizations disclose possible interests in news coverage, particularly on 'opinion programming'....ESPECIALLY when their parent corporations have billions at stake in commercial ties to the government regarding supplier contracts, etc.. wouldnt you?

I bet Chuckie Schumer would.. cause:

When asked if Soros would disclose in a press release that he made 1 Billion in Brazillion oil profits after the US pumped 3 billion into the Brazil off shore development, Chuckie said: "That's got nothing to do with it.
    - Okay, so I made the question to Schumer up.

BTW: Speaking of ponying up.. evidently Wall ST didnt put up enough in the last election cycle even though they sent about 3 bucks to dems for every 1 to repubs..
    The End of Wall Street As We Know It
    Okay, we actually been through this before.. so who's gonna end up holding the worthless Fannie and Freddy originated crap, THIS TIME?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Good decision by the court. Restricting money is restricting speech. The Constitution recognizes corporations as "people." There's little to argue about there for any civil libertarian.

I would also like to see all federal funding of any individual campaigns -- matching funds, etc. -- ended, but I guess that is nowhere close to unconstitutional, which the above aspect of McCain-Feingold clearly was.

As far as media connections, who cares. If you can't tell after 10 seconds of Fox News and 3 seconds of MSNBC, then you're too stupid to be read a disclosure in the first place.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wherein I cuss a lot!

And Right on Cue...Supreme Court Sanctioned Murder Of Democracy! General Electric Employee Keith Olbermann Special Comment pt.2

The more I see this shit, the more I think of Siemens in the thirties
    -EG; GE was recently given a supplemental contract as second engine supplier to the F35... already well over budget. There are relatively few of these planes to be built.
    Oh, but never mind.. GE is GREEN!
    Sorry if I offend, but the damn shoe fits! And it doesn't change things a damn bit to ignore it.

Let's look back a few years before you write me off as loony.. remember I told you about the Corn-Ethanol scam and the cozy arrangements between Dept Agriculture, Tom Harkin, ConAgra and ADM?
    How'd that turn out?
    Still the same today.. the higher the price of oil the more it COSTS to PRODUCE ethanol. The only way to -EVEN PARTIALLY- break that bond would be for the processors to build nuke power plants near their plants. Sure's hell aint gonna happen either.
    And the higher the price of fuel, the higher food prices go.

I sure's hell got nothing against big corporations, per se. I even dont mind them owning media companies.

But there's a need for light being shined on these comfy cooperative ventures. And I would sure as hell like to know how GE can forecast such rosy revenue earnings by 2012.. The leading economic signs sure dont support that.

And to think Ronald Reagan was once GE's public affairs voice.