Browser wars, again?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 27, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Most of us who use Firefox already know that Mozilla is about to release ver 3.0.

In my opinion, the difference between this and former releases, AS TOUTED, is that its code has been gone through and tightened up resulting in faster operation and less memory usage, and specifically lower Memory Leak... which isnt really a 'leak' but grabbing more and more system memory as it operates.
    This happens because it might need more memory, temporarily, take it.. then forget it has it allocated and move on to take more the next function.

I can tell you that it's a problem that needs fixing. Have enough windows and tabs open long enough, and visit enough sites that use flash, and FireFox WILL LOCK UP. you just cant be sure when.
    IE has other problems, though so that's why I put up with that.

- HOWEVER, some reviewers are less than impressed by those performance claims, saying this fault is largely due to plug-ins; additional optional functions, which are less than optimally coded and which the Browser cant really control

Another feature that will be handy is a deeper, more flexible and intuitive use of the 'history'.. sites recently visited... which would somewhat reduce the need for bookmarks. More history will be stored and used to deduce which site you want to visit in the future.
    - currently, as example, if I type the letter 'Y' in the url box and hit enter, I'm taken to the Yahoo Mail log-in screen.

For those of you entranced by the XP look and feel, those will be incorporated into skins and toolbars. As in XP, however that doesnt impress me.. it's only flash and I cant get it through my head how that 'enhances my browsing experience'.

There's a downside to that, as well... the day is coming when you sit down at a friends machine and have to have his help in figuring out the controls, sorta like car mfrs allowing the owner to rearrange all the controls would make letting a friend drive it a problem.

I think I'll wait for the first big update before I switch.

Amazingly, I cant find a really deep comprehensive review of the Pre-release Beta versions So we are left with some dubious press articles, like this in the NYT

An Upstart Challenges the Big Web Browsers

Yeah, I know.... the head doesnt match the article. It's the freakin NYT! I guess the tech editor is on holiday and they borrowed one from the politcal side.

- There's ALWAYS an 'upstart' challenging.