Brian McBride Interview

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by EssexFan, Mar 24, 2007.

1. EssexFan

EssexFan New Member

Borrowed this from Fulham's official site, (I'm sure they won't mind) as it's an interview with Brian McBride.
    Thought you might be interested.

When he drew the curtain on a remarkable international career in July 2006, Brian McBride had notched up 30 goals in 95 matches, a tally leaving him second in the American all-time scoring charts.

Having valiantly served the national team over a 13-year period, the news of McBride’s retirement drew praise from all quarters. US Soccer President, Sunil Gulati, went on the record saying, "When I look back at his impact on the team and the sport, I think it is easy to say that his legacy will be that of a true ironman on the field and a gentleman off it.

"Everyone in the US Soccer family owes Brian and his family a debt of gratitude for his contribution to the sport in the United States, and we wish them the best throughout the remainder of his career."

Those sentiments were echoed by former US Manager, Bruce Arena. "With his goal scoring, ability in the air and intelligence on both sides of the ball, he is truly a player with qualities unlike any other player to wear the national team uniform. I always admired both his commitment and his leadership, and have nothing but the greatest respect for him as a player and a person.”

So whilst fellow Americans, Carlos Bocanegra and Clint Dempsey, jetted off to join up with their US team-mates ahead of their friendly matches against Ecuador and Guatemala – McBride was able to enjoy the relatively straightforward routine of daily training at Motspur Park.

“I’m sitting here enjoying the fact that I don’t have to travel all that way,” he told fulhamfc.com. “I loved playing for the US but these are the moments when you try and enjoy time with your family. My wife and I, and our two daughters are doing that. Mother’s Day was a great day for us, we had a lot of fun.

“This has been similar to any other break for the players. The coaching and fitness staff get us out here and we work hard. In the meantime we also get a bit of rest, which is nice for all of us.

"There’s still a lot of soccer to be played and, by no means, has anybody taken this period as an opportunity to shut down. We’re all refocusing our energy for the final games.”

Of course, having recently signed a one-year extension to his contract with Fulham, McBride also has the 2007/08 season to look forward to in a White shirt; however the American isn’t looking too far ahead just yet.

“Fulham has always been good to me in the sense that the fans have always been receptive – so I enjoy that part for sure,” he said. “But the team aspect is really important too. All of those things go into the decision making process. I am looking forward to another year at Fulham but I’m definitely not thinking about that now. I’m concentrating on now until the end of the season and trying to make sure that we’re ready for the run-in.

“As with signing anything, it’s a process that takes a lot of communication and thought throughout our family. I’m fortunate to have an amazing wife and two daughters who are really enjoying things over here.”

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

His interview in Fultime was superb as well. He talked about his faith, family and life at Fulham. He has really enjoyed his time in SW6 but most importantly so has his family.