Bradley names camp squad

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Spencer, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Including Pearce is a good sign that Bradley is looking forward...me being the optomist until proven wrong.
    And no Ante Razov!
    By the way:
    That roster can be copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i don't care if Jeff Cunningham is "selfish" and not a good teammate in people's eyes. The man scores goals...and the U.S. has had problem scoring goals. I'm not saying put him on the roster for upcoming friendlies/tournaments, but at the very least he should be in the training camp. What is Bob Bradley doing?

4. pettyfog

In FACT... as a 'former victim' {crew fan} and observer of JC, {ask ChiTom} I heartily concur on that... but I guess you'd put that in the "old judgements die hard' category..

He has changed since his Crew and Rapids days and we could only pray that CJohn did as much as Jeff now does on the field.
    - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - -- --
    I see that one of the highlights of this session will be US v Mexico on 'neutral ground'.

US to Renew Rivalry vs. Mexico on Feb. 7 in Glendale, Ariz.

Probably no time [or weather} for a home and home

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a lot of quality on that roster -- don't know how many of them will still be on "off season break" by January 4. The good news is that roster is only just a bit more talented than our U-21 squad

Fog: re US-Mexico in Arizona. Playing opponents in the back yards of their natural supporters (a) makes for bigger crowds and (b) gives our guys plenty of experience in playing before hostile crowds.

Re-Cunningham: as they used to say in baseball "million-dollar arm; 5 cent brain." I don't think Bradley needs to have a moper in his first roster. I certainly won't miss him.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I'm pleased to see Dasan Robinson included. I've only seen him a few times but he intrigues me.

7. pettyfog

JC:
    I've watched a few RSL games, and I think he's modified a little... certainly not as bad as his 'Crew days'.

Mexico: Well, YEAH, don... but like I said 'neutral'.. or maybe I should point out they ARENT playing in Los Angeles Coliseum

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Why isn't Altidore in this list? I mean seriously we can have room for someone that would look like bambi on ice on the international level in Gros, but can't make room for a player who is young and very talented and has scored goals for every level of the US system and MLS. This looks like it will be the same old same old with rubbish players who clearly can't make the grade at this level. Albright is rubbish at this level,Namoff would be, E. Robinson would be etc etc. I can see us calling in an experienced lineup for the Gold Cup as well as the Copa America. Instead of us just calling in an U-23 for the Gold Cup like we should.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Altidore, along with Adu and others are on the U-21 squad.

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Adu should be on the USMNT not an U-20 team. I mean seriously how much more can he possibly learn from a tounrment he has played in already 2 times? He would learn much much more playing on the full international stage which will probably happen in the Gold Cup, but he will have already played in some games for RSL and the U-20 WC so he could be tired before the Gold Cup. Also I really don't think Wynne is an U-20 anymore so why isn't he included? Albright has no future on this stage while Wynne clearly does. How Albright gets selected for these things is a complete mystery. He is complete rubbish at this level just like half this list. I thought with a new manager we would see changes, but clearly we will see the same old players playing in the same old friendlies with the samd old tactics. Here's an idea schedule a European friendly in Europe and when you show up actually play unlike that utter disaster against Holland. Don't be afraid to play Mexico in LA as either way we will almost be outnumbered wherever we go.

I know I sound like i'm whining here, but this is so damn boring. Playing these Danish reserve teams isn't helping us and neither is playing CONCACAF opposition at home. It seems we are always afraid to play the younger players and pick experienced players who are clearly out of their league playing on this stage. USSF needs to change and if that happens we might actually have a chance of being a favorite at a WC.

11. BC

BC New Member

You hit the nail right on the head my friend.

12. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

You do realize the U-20 team is actually gearing up to qualify for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, right? Adu and many members on that team have played quite a bit to get to the stage of making the U20 WCs, I see no problem with him stacking up against the top U20 teams of other nations. It's going to be more worthwhile than a "B" friendly with Denmark

Also, Wynne is 20 and still needs to improve his touch, his crosses and make decisions on defense among other things. Athletically, he's aces; and he has improved greatly since April. But he has a lot to work on before becoming a MLS star - much less staying up with the USMNT.

As far as the list is concerned, what do you want? The majority of the top US players are busy with their clubs in Europe. This (and the Denmark friendly I believe) is not a FIFA sanctioned event, it's a training camp to groom the next set of Americans for international competition. Brian McBride, Kasey Keller, Oguchi Oneywu, etc. will not be available. The MLS guys (and Heath Pearce) are available. Hence, they're in camp.

Well, the Mexico game is in Arizona. Also, how many European teams will be willing to play the US in a friendly in Europe when they have Euro 2008 to be concerned with? I'm just happy the USSF is getting friendlies period.

Afraid to play the younger players? Didn't the US start a good number of young guys in 2002? I remember Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, John O'Brian, Pablo Mastoreni all starting and/or playing many minutes in that WC. Also, I recall Clint Dempsey, Bobby Convey, Oguchi Oneywu, and Eddie Johnson getting plenty of time with the USMNT in 2004-2006. I completely disagree that there is some "fear" to play the younger players.

As far as friendly matches go, the Danish "B" team (it may be the A team, I think Denmark's league is done too?) were available. Can't do much about who is and isn't available. The younger players who have been playing together for sometime are focused on winning the U-20 WC. They aren't just playing friendlies and killing time. And with some of the starters not getting any younger, now is the time for test out some of these MLS players. I'm glad Bob Bradley will look at so many of them in camp; and if they truly are rubbish they won't be selected unless they fill a necessary position. And no matter who USSF schedules or who the coaches are, talent is never a guarantee. Which is also vital for being a WC favorite (which is easier said than done).

By the way, regarding Jeff Cunningham, he has 10 caps with no goals. He may put the ball in the net in MLS; but hasn't displayed any of that talent with the USMNT.

13. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

jeff cunningham should be in the training camp. i don't care what his record w/ the men's team is. being in training camp and being selected for a friendly or tournament are two different things. i'm rarely pessimistic, but i am dumbfounded by this and some other decisions by boob bradley

14. pettyfog

yeah.. but you're obviously biased. Jeffro should have been over his pouting long before last season.
    Obviously, I NOW agree with you but as I say, old judgements die hard.

15. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I have to question a few guys on the squad, but I like the fact he's bringing on a lot of youth. Building for the future is key! As Optimizer pointed out, we did the same thing in 2002.