Bloomberg's Impact on the Race

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jan 7, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If he comes in as a 'Unifying Independent', he could definitely have an impact on what positions the two main candidates take.

Jim Angle of FoxNews pointed this out. His points, in any debate, would require that the candidates get specific about exactly how they would solve our domestic problems. And I think we're all in favor of that.

Bloomberg is way too liberal for my tastes but I cant help fantasizing him going head to head with Ron Paul {not that it would happen} and pointing out some SERIOUS Discrepancies.
    -heh.

Another reason I like it.. look how the moonbat left responds!

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What is it with mayors of New York that makes them think they can be president? Didn't we go through all this with Bahama John Lindsey thirty-something years ago? Sheesh

3. pettyfog

I dunno... but it's fun.

Unlike Lindsay, though, neither Bloomberg or Giuliani is a 'pretty boy empty suit'.

You understand .. and I'll admit.. that his entry would be attractive because it would probably be vote-count neutral, though neither of the nominated contenders could take that chance.
    That means they will actually have to take realistic positions.

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Now suppose Ron Paul goes Libertarian, Bloomberg runs Independent, and then we have the two conventional candidates.

What then? Is the outcome going to be vastly different then if there were only two candidates?

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Unlike Giuliani, Bloomberg has the resources to make a go of it without subverting his own views to either of the major political parties (since I'd imagine he's too much of a fiscal conservative for the Democrats and too much of a social liberal for the Republicans). I don't know, though, does he have any name recognition outside NYC and the financial services industry?

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

All this indecision seems to be affecting the possible Republican candidates more than the Democrats. Color me happy. :)

7. pettyfog

I'll color you DELUDED! Try to keep up.. at least read Drudge. May not be true* but it's an indicator.

Unless you mean that choosing only between Obama and Edwards is somehow GOOD.

*Meaning I dont think it is.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

McCain is the best candidate for the Republicans. But the establishment and rednecks don't like him, he doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve, and he doesn't look nearly as much like Reagan as Romney.

So guess what? You guys get stuck with someone else. Not our fault, but makes for good entertainment.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and how entertaining has the last 7 years been for you?

Bloomberg won't win enough votes to affect NY state's electoral vote, and he has no pull anywhere else in the country. The entire South and most of the west thinks that NYC is a foreign country, and a lot of people are going to be put off by the REALITY of what a Bloomberg candidacy would mean: an ego driven rich guy buys his way into the history books.

A Ron Paul independent candidacy would pretty much guarantee a Republican victory in November. Why? Because Ron Paul running for president would most likely carry a significant percentage of voters under 30. This wouldn't be enough to get him any state, but based on the polls and the outcome in Iowa, for the first time since 1980, it appears that young people are more likely to vote Democrat rather than Republican. So, an independent Ron Paul candidacy would hurt the Democrats and help the Republicans.

But what do I know? All this is just my judgement and analysis after a butt-load of years following electoral politics. I didn't get any of this from a website or "a playbook."

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Well, opinions are like a--holes. Everbody has one, and most of them stink.

But here's mine anyway (opinion that is):
    Ron Paul takes more away from the Republicans than the Democrats. Democrats are being amazingly "business-like" in getting active in this primary, and I think that carries over to the general election this go round. Democrats, or those in the middle who think BuSh has severely tainted the Republican party for some time to come, are extremely focused on making sure the pendulum swings back.

Ron Paul appeals to the Libertarian version of Ross Perot voters. Motorcycle riding guys with guns who don't want to pay taxes.

Shall we start celebrating now?!?! Of course not, still plenty of time for someone to come from behind and strip the ball away. Don't lose stride and hold onto it with both hands.

11. pettyfog

What!!!!! I was just kidding about the 'deluded' part....

Oh, MY!