Big Jim Stanard

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Jan 24, 2008.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

The following article is taken from the offical website (http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2008/January/JimStanard.aspx). It is worth reading the offical site as it has some pictures of Big Jim too.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Not a hint, at all.. right?

Which brings to mind a sad fact I've just realized. For all his good to great performances over the years, there's nowhere to give Kasey Keller a testimonial.

UNLESS it's the US Team.. but will they think of it? OR maybe since it's really FulhAmerica we now follow, perhaps they will. Maybe at a Spurs/Fulham game?

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

I think the need for testimonials for top flight players have deminished. I would not go to one to line the purse of some of these guys! I would go to a testimonial where they donate the proceeds to something worth while, such as the Gary Barnett Fan Club.

4. pettyfog

I think the attitude has shifted from the need for a somewhat more comfortable retirement to one of acknowledgement and recognition.

When McBride, for example, is feted any proceeds will certainly go to a real charity.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

That's a pretty neat idea, but then you'd have to have one for Friedel, and you'd have to have one for Cobi (164 caps, damn!), and you'd have to have one for Reyna... though I guess, to be fair, since a decent number of the USMNT's matches are friendlies anyway, there's nothing wrong with turning them into friendlies that are also testimonials.

6. pettyfog

Rovers can have one for Friedel, and the Crew probably will.. not an issue.

It's BECAUSE of Friedel, largely, that Keller MIGHT go unapplauded in the US and he never was with one European team, other than Spurs for a great length of time..

Cobi had his.or will.