1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Not what I intended to think about today, but then I read this article. If you havent read about Luis Gil then this is definitely worth a read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/losangeles/ne ... id=5187954

Sounds like my kind of player

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sounds good.. sounds GREAT. But they put a gloss like that on Adu too.

Hope that guy wrote it like it is.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Nice article. Hope nobody puts the weight of the world on his shoulders.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks Mo, sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulders. Interesting article, just wished that worthless scumbag Rongen wasn't quoted.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Take it easy Joe... there's bound to be some level at which everyone is somewhat competent. Hell, even Steve Sampson... somewhere.

6. Clevelandmo

Darn, I meant to warn everyone about the Satan quote and photo.

7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Rongen is competent alright...at being a #@$%&^@ :D

Sorry for the thread tangent. This is a bump, because it's really about Luis Gil. I found it interesting about the way they (family, RSL) are choosing to develop the young man. It's so easy to jump at an opportunity like Arsenal right away.

8. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I liked the article. RSL is bringing him along slowly. They've got Javier Morales and Andy Williams working with this kid all the time, in addiion to the coaching staff. I doubt he gets much time this year but with RSL in the CCL and still alive in the Open Cup, I imagine he will get some time somewhere.

9. Clevelandmo

Thanks for the info Omsdogg. I hope you keep us informed of his progress - as long as its good.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

will do. Unfortunately I missed the reserve match against the Mexican U-21 team last Saturday because I know Gil played but I will see if I can get some details on how he performed.

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

here is an update on Gil fom the match vs the Mexican U-21's according to QuibblingNoneSuch on Big Soccer:

Mexico pretty much played kick and run down the wings.

The U-21s were small, but very aggressive and fast and we had several points on the field where we were overmatched. The Beltran/McKenzie side held ok on D, but the other (Schuler(?)/Noname) was overmatched, and Gil looked a lot - he was watching and thinking, not just playing and flowing, he was lost.

Fortunately Mexico couldn't finish. Gonzalez weaved through about 4 defenders to create a great chance for RSL, which led to Campos's finish.

Mexico U-21 exhibited all of the grace and dignity of their older Hermanos, including a coach being shown red for rushing the field, excessive use of falling down to create set pieces, cards, or just drama, and general pushing and shoving and talking throughout all phases of the game.

Once Ned replaced Gil RSL took control of the game briefly - then Alexandre got tossed (he had been playing very well IMO) and it was under siege pretty much from there on out.

Reynish was very solid, he made several saves...and he should get credit for the fact that RSL escaped with a draw. The Ref called the game pretty much just after the 90 minute mark and that led to more...'gracious behavior' from the Mexican side. I don't blame him for calling it early, he probably saved someone a broken leg.