Beer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by jumpkutz, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Can someone repost the 5 best and worst beers list discussion, please? I'm thirsty.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Not much of a beer drinker, so can't help you. I usually stick to wine and mixed drinks. [​IMG]

Maybe others have beer rating fatigue? :)

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, here's the worst beer list in descending order:

5. European fortified lager
    4. Fosters Lager
    3. Coors Light
    2. Any other American light beer
    1. Corona

As for best, it's tough unless you narrow it down to North American beer or even beer brewed in the United States.

4. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

My faves right now are American beers(and yes can get them in England):
    1. Any Brooklyn Brewery Beer - Brooklyn Lager specifically
    2. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Worst? Not a fan of Fosters though will drink at a pub if needed.

5. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Beer . . . Mmmm. . . . Duff beer

6. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Don, this is one area we will just have to disagree. When it comes to beer, there are very few I would have to turn away. A list of least favorite beers. what's this world coming to?

7. VegasJustin

VegasJustin New Member

When there are beers out there as bad as Old E and Guiness then a worst beer list is necessary.

8. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Old E is malt liquor. If guiness is what's being poured, there will be no complaining from this guy.

9. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Best 5

1). Foster's oil can
    2). Labatt's Blue
    3). Hamm's
    4). Beck's Dark
    5). Sam Adams

Worst 5

1). PBR
    2). Guiness
    3). Milwaukee's Best Light
    4). Bud Dry
    5). Jax

10. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Yuengling has FINALLY come to Ohio!

Enjoyed a Yuengling Black & Tan this evening, so delicious!

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Heh.. the entire state of Ohio is going on a Yuengling bender I think. Bet Y's sales increase by 25% their first month in OH.

Last time I recall this much excitement over a territory expansion was Coors. Way back in the seventies.

Bwahahahaah!

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Showing your age again 'fog.

13. Clevelandmo

Yeah but will it come to Cleveland? Doubt it, we never get anything good.

14. Logicalman

Logicalman New Member

Sorry, I cannot take seriously any top 5 beer list that doesn't include at least one of either Fullers ESB or London Pride (both available in the US btw).

Other top 5 contenders, for me, would be Directors 4X and Tanglefoot.

Bottom 5 would have to include ANY American beer in the mold of Coors, Bud, etc.

As Monty Python said at the Hollywood Bowl .. "Why is American beer like making love in a canoe?" (I'll leave it up to you to Google the answer, being the gent I am!!)

15. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I wish we could get Yuengling here in Boston, but the brewery has basically said if they expanded into New England they could not keep up with production!

My BIL was living in PA for a couple years, right before he moved I told him he had to try Yuengling and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. I think he thought I was setting him up for some sort of practical joke. Well needless to say every time he came back to vist he had a case or a 12 pack for both me and my FIL.

16. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Have to agree w/Logicalman about London Pride. Had to google the Monty Python quote and it's funny and so true of our mass produced beers (I refuse to divulge the punchline). Luckily, we've come a long way and now there are some great beers available; Fat Tire, Mirror Pond, Sierra Nevada, etc.

17. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

$@%32233453123!!!!!

EVERY TIME this subject comes up I feel like I am down the Rabbit Hole with Alice.

It is absolutely amazing to me the cognitive dissonance and Oxymoronic opinions expressed on these designer beers v national brands.

I'm not going to point out the obvious illogic... just ask you to answer for yourself why you go to a given type of bar, or why you open a beer in the first place.

Do you do it to explore the unknown? Or do you do it for comfort and a feeling of belonging. Or something in between.

If the former, I 'll excuse you from my rant so you can plan your national tour of biker bars to see what they serve on tap. Or head down to the Big Beer Boutique to find out if they have something new you never heard of before so you can slap down ten bucks to try it.

If the latter, I'll tell you that's why I prefer Dos Equis first, Sam Adams seasonal second, and Bud Lite 3rd. And you will understand me.

If somewhere in the middle I'll leave you to your illusions.. same as I would a goth-punk High School girl expressing her individuality.

18. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Damn, you've been missed around here Fog!! Now what exactly are you talking about? ;)

19. Clevelandmo

Considering Michael Jackson, not the grotesque one but the English one who's considered one of the world's foremost authorities on beer, never put these on one of his top beer lists I think this is a bit close-minded. But I'll forgive you since you said "sorry". We all have our own individual tastes. Myself, I dont think anything bottled or canned can compete with the best offerings of cask-conditioned ales from British pubs or fresh brews from brewpubs in Europe or America (I'm sure it's true in other parts of the world too). The best and most memorable beers I ever drank have been locally made and hand-pulled/on tap. Once you bottle these very same beers they are not the same. So for me these lists are difficult because are you talking about the fresh version or the bottled version? Tetley's from Yorkshire has always made my list, but truthfully it's probably only due to sentimental memories of having it in the pub. I dont think the canned version I can get in Cleveland would have otherwise come close to making my list. This is what I think 'fog is getting at. In the end, I thinks it's not just the beer it's also your experiences.

My best try at limiting it to my five favorite beers:

1. Tetleys
    2. Pilsner Urquell
    3. Shiner Bock
    4. Ayinger weissbrau
    5. Samuel Adams Boston Lager

The Fulham Related Part - I looked up Michael Jackson to insure my memory was correct about not seeing ESB or London Pride (he is however very complementary of both) on any of his list and found out he is a Fulham Supporter!!!! I dont think I have ever seen him on the famous Fulham fan lists so someone should insure he is added. It's written on the inside cover of his book. Do you think Mo was confused when he invited the king of pop to the cottage and called him a great fulham fan?

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

After seeing Guinness listed on TWO top five bad beer lists, I'm boycotting this thead.

Standards! WHERE ARE THE STANDARDS.

Oh, by the way, I've had both Fullers ESB and London Pride. I liked them both, but would probably have liked them even more if they hadn't been near frozen as if they were crap American lagers or their European fortified cousins.

I'm sorry; I was boycotting as I remember. Ah, yes.