Beasley: pulling a Donovan..

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Aug 20, 2006.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I've never really jumped on the DaMarcus bandwagon... in fact, I wondered how a team that was openly scouting him could still pick him after seeing him shut down, dispossesed and even nutmegged by a Crew rookie getting his first start that game.

Well, {forget all the reasons stated} it turns out that he's indeed too lightweight, literally, for European Soccer

RSL making play for Beasley
    Well, I wouldnt mind him coming to Columbus... but i wont howl if MLS pulls the strings and puts him where he wants to go {That's their job... walking the thin edge}.

Because he just isnt THAT good ...where he's going to break the opponent team's back.

2. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I love MLS but please stay in europe DeMarcus.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I see you disagree.. but answer this: How is staying in Europe going to help? Unless they have some way of making him bulk up.. while retaining/improving his foot and ball skills.

How was it he shined in WC'02 but was a dud in 06.. after several years at Eindhoven?

Could it be that playing against MLS defenses was a reverse factor?

4. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I think DeMarcus should go to a team in Spain and see if it works out there. If he still fails then come back to MLS, I really hope DeMarcus gives it another year and a half before he comes back home.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think that playing in the Netherlands translates to his difficulty in the WC. I think the reason for that is the problem he had with playing out of position in a stupid formation and a side named by Mr. Ego.

I don't see how you think that playing in the European Champions League is less beneficial than playing in the US Open Cup. If MLS ever decides to get into meaningful international cup competitions, then staying at home will help orepare a player for the sort of opposition they can expect at the national level. Until then, people like DMB and Gooch benefit tremendously from European club competition.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It would be a bad move personally for DMB to go to the MSL. However, his loss may be the USMNT's and us fans' gain. Maybe after seeing how Donovan came apart after his move from the Bundesliga, we won't have to worry about either of these primadonnas ruining team chemistry. And a bonus for the MSL, DMB is better than 3/4 of the chumps in the league.

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Beasley: pulling a Donovan..

There goes PCB taking aimless swings at MLS again. I'm not really sure what you get out of it. Chumps? Why must you can continue to hold some kind of personal bias against the league and the players in it?

As for Beasley, the last time he looked like himself was the friendly against Scotland. He's seemingly lost his confidence and willingness to take players on. There could be a million reasons for this. Its clear that since his move to PSV he's reverted. I do think he should stick it out and try to work through what ever problems he's having. Once he comes home it will be hard to get back to Europe at any point, though Cory Gibbs has done it.

It could be that he just is home sick, not every individual is cut out to be up rooted and placed in a foreign country. Some thrive and adapt others wilt under the pressure. We see players who possess obvious talent and dominate the South American game come to Euro leagues and fail all the time. It tends to sort the strong from the weak. The thing that is stumping about Bease is that at first he had good success and something has happened since to cause him to revert.

8. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Re: RE: Beasley: pulling a Donovan..

I was angry. The Fulham loss, mixed with my own club team's loss had me on the edge. While I still think the MSL is not very good, I apologize for my vitriole yesterday. I'll probabaly watch the MSL championship game, if Troy State is not playing Pensacola JC on Local Access Television.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Meanwhile Dempsey is doing the opposite.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... index.html

I hope he can get over to the EPL asap. I don't blame MLS for rejecting that offer though, $1.5 is peanuts. That's less than we paid for Runstrom. He's worth at least a million pounds, probably more.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good quote:

For his part, Dempsey has no interest in renegotiating his MLS contract. "I already told [MLS] if they paid me more than Landon Donovan I still wouldn't stay," he said, referring to Donovan's $900,000 salary. "I just don't want to be in this league anymore. It's not about the money. It's about me getting better and pushing myself to a higher level. I'll be able to live with whatever the consequences may be, but I can't live with never trying to accomplish my dreams, and I can't live with somebody holding me back from that."

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

According to Yanks-Abroad, DMB is determined to stay at PSV and get his position back. Koeman is a fan and one of their strikers is on his way to Glasgow [he must have been bad]. We'll see.

PCB. If you do watch that match, cheer for the Trojans [and that's Troy University, NOT Troy State]. I got a degree from them way back last century.

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Err...Dempsey has already been to Holland (Feyenoord on trial) and back. $1.5 is prolly more than Dempsey is worth right now. He hasn't proved himself, yet.

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yeah I mentioned strong from weak in my other post and Dempsey is damn strong. I think he'd fit in great in the English game. He doesn’t back down and is not deterred by anything. He actually broke Jimmy Conrad’s jaw a few days ago. I'm also confident his various goal celebrations would become a hit at whatever team he joins.

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Right you are. They made the switch recently, and I forgot all about it. Where I am, we get to enjoy the view of a few of those TROY UNIVERSITY co-eds every spring. While this L.A. (Lower Alabama) does not have the other Trojans (USC) talent level yet, you have start somewhere.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And what better place to start!

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I don't know $1.5 is equal to what like 700,000 pounds. Its kind of rare to see any player come to the EPL from a foreign league for that little money. That’s like what we paid for Zukani and Dempsey having had a good World Cup has in my book proved himself a lot more than guys like Zukani and Runstrom.

17. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

One goal in World Cup, is good but does not equal excellence in a premiership season. He has talent, but he hasn't set the MLS on fire and has trouble getting along with teammates with a few red cards to boot. Not many teams will want to risk a lot of $$$$$ on a player like Dempsey. $1.5 mill is fair and more than the league will get for him when he leaves for free.

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Good points, I still think he's worth at least a million pounds. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

19. BC

BC New Member

I think Dempsey will end up in the EPL eventually. I don't blame him at all for not wanting to return to the MLS.

Could his celebration dance reach the fame of Crouch's robot? :)

20. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

I would rather see Dempsey play in Spain or France.