Avoiding Relegation

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HarbordSteve, Mar 2, 2008.

1. HarbordSteve

HarbordSteve New Member

OK, it's hard to be a Fulham supporter this year. Maybe every year, this is only my second so my experience is brief yet painful. But let's take an optimistic (maybe overly optimistic) view of the situation and see what it would take to stay up this year. I think the targets are Bolton and Reading. Bolton has a very tough schedule remaining. Reading a bit easier. Sunderland also a tough schedule. So let's say 35 points might be enough to stay up. This would mean Fulham needs 16. How about this? - possible points:

Blackburn (A) - 0
    Everton (H) - 1
    Newcastle (A) - 1
    Derby (A) - 3 (yes, an away win...)
    Sunderland (H) - 3
    Reading (A) - 3 (another away win and we'd steal their points)
    Liverpool (H) - 0
    Citeh (A) - 0
    Birmingham (H) - 3
    Portsmouth (A) - 1

Hard to make the math work - even assuming 2 away wins, only 3 losses from last 10, and a 3 game winning streak... :-( OK, maybe I shouldn't have done this exercise. Anyone else see a chance of staying up?

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I tried a similar mathmatical exercise but I stopped because I couldn't make the numbers add up without resorting to wishful thinking. I'll say this though, if they do, then forget W Brom from a few years ago, THAT would be the great escape.

3. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

That would hurt if we were one point away from safety when it's all said and done. So many points lost, so much pain, so much alcohol is needed.

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Blaze of glory

We're going down in a blaze of glory!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm not a big Bon Jovi fan but I like the song for our situation. I also will not concede at the moment that we are going down. However, even if you think we are, lets do it the right way. Let's give it everything that we have till the final whistle - as fans. Let's cheer our beloved Fulham even harder, convert someone you know to Fulham, be in the chat room during games, write an encouraging letter to the players(maybe they'll get it), buy some Fulham gear, get on the offal and encourage those in London to go to the games to support the team, or do something you havent done before for Fulham. The only times in my life that I've ever had a beer before 5pm is watching Fulham in a pub. It's a huge sacrifice, drinking beer, but I did it for the team.

We are what we are. We've got what we've got, let's forget about the mistakes and the "if onlys" and enjoy it 'til the end. It'll be a good life lesson. We're goners but we'll enjoy the journey. The only exception is that I see nothing wrong with bitching about the bad calls, especially if it ends up making the difference.

My family and I are going to our first ever match at the Cottage April 5th. I cant wait. We'll cheer hard for the boys even if all hope is lost at that point. I love this team - they've given several Americans a chance on the big stage, their fans are class, the team is class, and their steeped in history. I hope some more of you can make it over for a match before the end . . . . . uh, of the season. Come on you whites!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on you Fulham fans!!!!!!!!!!! Let's go down in a blaze of glory if we go down at all.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Re: Blaze of glory

My gosh, I am standing at attention as I read this. Thanks mo!

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Blackburn (A) 1
    Everton (H) 3
    Newcastle (A) 3
    Derby (A) 3
    Sunderland (H) 3
    Reading (A) 1
    Liverpool (H) 1
    Citeh (A) 0
    Birmingham (H) 3
    Portsmouth (A) - 1

That's about the best I can see us doing. That would give us 38 points and a good shot of staying up. It would involve 5 wins 4 draws and 1 loss. In other words we aren't staying up. There is another scenario though that could work. 6 wins,1 draw and 3 losses. I could see us beating the 5 teams I said we would beat and get a win in a place like Portsmouth or Reading.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

look, its a tragic inevitability at this point.

woy just got out on a called third strike, which proves he doesn't know what he's doing. at least ls managed to hit into a double play, and lewington went down swinging.

we're done.

"And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords."

8. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I haven't been a supporter for long so I have to ask, but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer...

Has Fulham had a run like any of the afforementioned at any time during their stay the Prem???

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

they never really looked like being relegated until their poor run of form last season beginning in February, so no.

They did have several "great escapes" in the mid-1960s.

10. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

But even when they were not in the relegation battle, did they ever have a run of 5 wins 4 draws and 1 loss, the type of run FFC24 said they'll need to stay up???

11. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

After looking at the schedule and combining our present form...is 29 pts. enough to stay up? :D :lol: :? :x :cry:

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I finally got the courage to enter in the site about 10 minutes ago. It took me that long to finally weigh in on our situation. Now I don't know if I can even finish this post. Yep...just thinking about is making me want to throw up.

13. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

The best non-losing streak I can find is 3 wins and 4 draws from 21 Oct 2001 - 12 Dec 2001. We were on the back of a successful promotion and confidence was high. Apart from that, last season we manages 8 points in 4 games (2W 2D) and 9 points in 7 (1W 6D).

I think survival will be at 36 points this season, most managers consider 42 points safety, although Palace were relegate on 49 points - although I think that may be from 46 games. In the current format (38 games) both Bolton and Sunderland have been relegated on 40 points and West Ham on 42. The fewest points for survival is 34 by West Brom.

In the last 4 seasons teams with 38 (on goal difference), 38, 34, and 39 have occupied 17th spot.

At best then, we need 15 points from 10 games, realistically I think we ned 17 points. Bleak at best. COYW.

14. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Thanks Gary, although that is hardly encouraging.