Arlen Specter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Apr 28, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's all good.

Bear in mind he didnt quit because of his estrangement from some phantom policy shift in the GOP, that hasnt happened.. YET.
    He quit because he was going to lose the primary.

Because he's just Democrat-Lite!

Don... and his ragged band of McCain stooges would have you believe Republicans would fare better if only they were more compliant.

Inconvenient fact: Each time the GOP moves to center, Dems move Left.
    That ladies and germs is what the tea parties are all about.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Arlen Specter

Pretty much. This isn't about Specter's positions changing, it's about him wanting to stay in office.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm pretty sure I'm the only member of my band to vote for McCain, 'fog. Having said that, what I DO believe is that Republicans don't need to be compliant so much as they need to think more about solving problems than gaining points with media commentators.

The conservative wing of the Republican Party used to rally round the philosophy of Barry Goldwater, and their intellectual force was William F. Buckley. They used to say that they had a better, more efficient, and less costly way to solve problems than did the Democratic administration of the time. Now the Conservagive wing of the Republican Party [is there another wing?] rallies round Sarah Palin and Rudy Guiliani and their intellectual force is Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. They now say that the important thing for all conservatives to do is to pray for the failure of the Democratic administration's efforts to solve the problems of the time.

A little reality of what our nation is up against, and a little responsibility in contributing to the governance that might help would be a nice change. It might also appeal to some of the voters thrown away over the last eight yers. Just sayin'.

5. pettyfog

Well, Don I'd have to say I agree with you on the point of that post.

That is, if you didnt misstate just about everything this is about.

The whole POINT is that the real conservative wing has almost no influence in what goes on in the GOP. If you're willing to lump Rudy and Palin together, that's problematic. I can see it as both worked with Dems to get things done and oftern against both populist and conservative advice.

Rush and Coulter? Both entertainers. Except in their delivery, although evidently you have to actually listen to what they say to discern the difference.

We have a term for Spector {sic}, Lindsay Graham and their ilk ... besides, RINO. The beltway GOP btw is putting togehter a traveling tour to 'reform' the party. It will - gasp- be led by McCain. It will fail.

Now since this is actually about Spector {sic}.. what do you see as the over/under on some other Dem beating him in the Primary? Ol' Arlen better not count his chickens, so to speak.. the Dems aint gonna trust him anymore than conservatives did.

Even tho they now have him by the short-hairs.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I haven't got a clue about Pennsylvania politics, 'fog. I couldn't name a single Democrat or Republican who might be running for the seat. And, I really don't care. They got a state full of Keystoners to worry about that.

Having confessed my ignorance about the specifics of the race, I will say that I understand that Spector is big with the unions. If he had their support as a Republican, he should do fine as a Democrat.

7. pettyfog

WashTimes - Specter: GOP priorities contributed to Kemp death

See... he's already fitting in nicely.

Do I HAVE to connect the dots?!!!
    -- - - - - - - -
    Specter Election Polls

Confirming what most already knew.. PA Dem AND GOP voters already considered Specter a democrat... or next best thing.

Obviously the GOP is NOT going to back Toomey. But where is Lynn Swann.. has he graduated media school yet?