Aloha Steed

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Zack, May 13, 2006.

1. Zack

Zack New Member

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/football_n ... _7377.html

Well I guess no more Steeeeeed in black and white at CC anymore unless a miracle deal come through.....to bad b/c he was really winning me over at THE player of the team...while he has always been quality, his form the last part of the season showed me alot and he will be missed and hope that he doesnt inflict to much harm at CC next season.....too bad so sad....

2. Tony_USA

Tony_USA New Member

Why?

I thought that at least Steed would be one of the players to stay loyal.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 767881.stm
    I guess at least he's not as bad as a lot of them these days, he's only been at 2 clubs since turning pro at 17 (97-01:Olympique Lyonnais; 01-present: Fulham), but at 26, he still isn't a regular member of the French first Team and it's getting a little late for him, so why move on? Unless he wants to get back to France, of course, now he has a young family to look out for.
    It's very sad that he is willing to wait another year and then go on a free transfer though. Agreed we only paid 5 Mill for him in 01, and he's been worth his fee, but it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth when players will use the 'free transfer' rules to force clubs into doing what the player (or agent) wants.
    Knowing CC, I can see Steed being dropped until he either transfers out for a fee, or until his contract runs out. I have the same as CCs much-quoted philosophy on this, being that if a player doesn't see a future with the club, then he doesn't want to stay and the club needs to build a team of those that are committed to Fulham.
    Sorry Steed, you're (apparently) a nice guy, a good player, and I wish you well, but this is not the way to ingratiate yourself to fans in the UK, especially the Cottagers.
    I see a reasonable price tag on Steed, maybe the same 5 Mill, and him going during the summer. That would be best for all concerncerned.
    Au Revoir Mon Ami

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Why?

Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!

Au Revoir Frenchy. And hopefully with the money we get in return and your quality replacement, les e le bon temps rouille!!!

4. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Best player I have seen in a fulham shirt. Its the end of an era and I'll miss you Steed. While I'll be the first to admit you were not always the most consistent performer, on your day you were a world beater and in those dark days in Division Four I never imagined I would get to see someone of your quality wearing the famous black and white shirt. Tigana brought this club to another level in signing players like Steed, Saha and EDVS and the final piece of his jigsaw will soon be gone.

Well Steed, you deserve international football, you deserve a coach whi can actually help you develop and you deserve quality team-mates to help you shine. But please, leave with some grace and make sure we get a decent fee for you. leave like EDVS did, not like Saha. I'll say it again. You were the best player I have ever seen in a Fulham shirt and you'll be greatly missed.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I said this on the offal, and will repeat it here. If Steed deserves to be on the French side, it should be recognized by any reasonable manager.

Laying the blame on Fulham for being a low profile club is taking the easy way out. It's too late, now for Steed to make a difference by moving now... but he now has 2 to 3 years to show what he's worth.. if he picks the right club.

Who joins me in hoping the French flop out in the first round?! Too bad they are in probably the easiest group.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well as long as he goes to one of the big 4 clubs I guess it will be alright with me. Can't really blame him for wanting a bigger stage and a bigger check. Still sucks. If it turns out to be a rather lateral move like to Man City or West Ham or somthing like that than I'll be pissed. If it is indeed to Liverpool than good luck to him.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Wow, it's like we have all turned into Frechmen and have just given up. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Maybe it is my own highly competitive nature that makes me such a pie in the sky advocate for Fulham, while the rest of you claim what "reality" is, but I sincerely think Fulham can be one of those big clubs. As long as Fulham continues investing in good players and with some clever marketing in Europe and especially the States, I say being considered a top tier team is not out of the question.

Also, perhaps this way of thinking means I take the attitude of, if you don't want to be on the team and play Cottager Football, than don't waste any of our time and pack your bags stat!

Yes Steed, you played quite well, if not consistently. But you are only a few goals away, by Papa, McBride, and/or Boa from a being a distant memory. I look forward to turning the page and reading the next chapter.

See ya!

8. krhimself

krhimself New Member

He's been loyal to our cause over the years, but I really think he's looking to prove himself on a bigger stage than what Fulham can offer right now. So if (or when) he does leave, I hope to see him at a club that plays in Europe on a regular basis, instead of some wannabe big club like Man City. This seemed inevitable really, but it'll still be bittersweet to see him ago.

Perhaps Steed didn't handle the exit in the best way possible, but I think we can all agree that he dealt with it much better than the way Saha (aka Judas) did when he left.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ah... but Saha was, in some ways, still a child. EVdS did it right.

And Fulham will NEVER be a big club if they stay in their paradigm of value for money and getting the results as a team.... instead of relying on a few 'big names' to rationalize success.

The press may PRETEND to like certain overachievers but if you look at the long term, it's so they can bring them down later. That's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck, Steed!

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Steeeeeed is not bigger than the club and maybe his greeeeed is the main motivation for him to move on to 'greener pastures'. Unfortunately, as of now, he is leaving a bad taste in many of the supporters mouths by saying he'll leave for free after next season. Its putting the club in a bad position since we won't get as much as he's worth since clubs know he's not signing a new contract and he's available for FREE next summer.

Fulham deserve better from him and deserve the transfer fee. Fulham isn't a club that can give up 5 million pounds...nuff said.

Thank you Steed for sticking with the club for 5 years but its time you go, we could use the money.

COYW's

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

Two things:

1) If Fulham are going to be big, they need to be a buyer, not a seller, a winner, not a loser. In that vein, I would not sell Steed until an equal (at least in price) is found. If the result is him playing out his option next year, so be it. Let's assemble the best team we can, win (maybe get into Europe), and if Steed still wants to leave, don't let the door hit you in the ***. If we end up that good, a spot in Europe and the chance to play in London should get us an adequate replacement.

2) Steed is now "Dead To Me" (which you will get if you watch the Colbert Report" on Comedy Central). Other sports people on my "Dead To Me" list include (but are not limited to): Scott Mitchell, Jeff Weaver, Barry Bonds, Keith Primeau, Ned Harkness, George Steinbrenner, Louis Saha, the French National Team, and Alex Ferguson.

12. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

So am I the only eprosn in the entire United States who actually likes the French? It certainly seems that way.

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Why?

Yeah sounds accurate to me. I don't particularly care for them. I don't wish them ill in the world cup or anything I'm just not a big fan of the French. My main bone is with French Canadians.

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Re: RE: Why?

Whatever the hell that is, but your most likely the only one.

I don't have the problem with the French, but when I did, I had a problem with the Parisians...

I love French wine, cheese, bread...mmmmm.

15. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Why?

Glen, I don't think people are dissing Steed because he's French...they don't like him leaving the team, especially the way its happening. I don't blame the guy and wish him the best, he gave 5 good years to Fulham.

People look out for their best interests all the time, I don't expect anything less.

BTW...I'm part French, so I don't hate myself.

Edit--And that's by way of Canada, Spencer. 8)

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Why?

BTW...I'm part French, so I don't hate myself.

Edit--And that's by way of Canada, Spencer. 8)[/quote]

Well thats cool I'm Canadian born, :D but 0% French Canadian :D

17. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Heather, I didn't think the Steed comments were because he's french. Its just something I've noticed since I moved here. They seem hated, and with a passion!!!!!

Personally I like the food, the wine, the cheese, the fashion, the fragrances, the art, the architecture, the footballers, the incredibly fit women, the beautiful countryside, the talented footballers and the passionate people.

As for French Canadians, I think they remain French soley to piss off Americans. I visited Montreal once and thats what they told me.

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

That's what they may claim, but it's not true. They're stubborn and refuse to acknowledge that English just might be a useful language to learn. My great gradfather lived the majority of his life in the US, was a very patriotic American, but couldn't speak a word of English--stubborn beyond belief.

19. DCDave

DCDave Member

I don't dislike the French (actually, I could care less one way or another) but after screwing with us with Saha and (probably) now Steed, I hate the French National Team. May they finish fifth in their group. :wow:

I still like French Fries, though...

20. rumstove

rumstove New Member

mmmmmm...french fries...