All the enpty seats?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by Theoldguy, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

After watching two EPL matches on FSC today, the one thing that really hit me was the number of empty seats. What gives? Do you think it could be the reality of not having a chance at the top three/four spots? Or what could be the reason for the amonut of seats empty today the first matches of the season???

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I think it is a combination of teams not being able to compete for top honors in the league and I also feel that the prices of tickets are so expensive that clubs are pricing fans out of the opportunity to go see matches live.

We saw this last season and I think we will see it more this season as well. I believe I read that only three or four of the ten Premiership matches this weekend were sold out.

Because the Premiership is arguably the best league in the world that attracts the best players, clubs have to pay high wages to said players and one of the ways to bring in this money is to set ticket prices high.

Even to go to a Fulham match is about 30 pounds which amounts to $55 American dollars. That is a lot of money for people to fork out week in and week out. Football quite simply is getting very expensive and with very few teams showing the desire and motivation to strive for a top-five or even a top-ten finish, why would supporters at say Middlesbrough shell out the high amount of cash to go watch a team that is rubbish? I for one would not go.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also think that the rain in the northern stadia had something to do with that. I don't think that Bolton would have had that many empty seats against another northern team. But having watched a ton of matches in Blighty STANDING in the rain for two hours, I can see the attraction in missing a match against the toffee-nosed Londoners.

Speaking of Londoners, I got a point back on you, Tom. Should have been three, though. This is two blown 2nd half leads in two matches.

Question: are we going to do an EPL review on this site? Maybe on Tuesday to guard against spoiling?

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Re: RE: All the enpty seats?

Don, what do you mean by doing a review?

As for Palace, I thought they were going to nick a draw with Birmingham, but an injury-time goal from the Blues sank the Palace ship. Oh well, three down, 43 to go. We have a long way to go in this league.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I guess what I meant was that after the weekend matches, there could be a thread in which we discussed the matches we saw on TV -- who impressed, who didn't -- to be held after we were sure we wouldn't spoil anything.

For instance, I have about 100 choice words on Boro's decision to change Left Backs this summer! :3d smile:

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't see any reason why you would have to wait until Tuesday, I would just put a [R] for result in the subject title (like we did during the World Cup).

I also hear that people are still on their summer holidays in England and that is counted as a reason for empty seats. Not sure if that is true, but I'm willing to believe that is a factor. The stadiums did seem to fill up as the season progressed last year.

Anyway, COYWs!!!!

7. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Reading stadium was very lively today, and Bolton usually dosnt sellout from the games I have seen over the years.

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

We can definitely start a thread under the EPL portion of the board for thoughts, opbservations and such from matches we see over the weekend. It can start now, or right when you are watching a match as long as the [R], Heather mentioned, is in the title of the thread. We could make the title of the thread each week something like:

Premiership Observations from weekend of 8/19-20

9. rumstove

rumstove New Member

Are people still complaining about kick-off times? I know last season for example Lawro at BBC was always saying he couldn't understand the earlier kick-off times.

10. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

The Reading crowd reminded me of what you'd expect to see at an American game as far as the demographics are concerned. Seemed five times the amount of kids in comparison to a typical EPL crowd.

They were loud! I enjoyed the Ole Ole Ole Convey Convey! Whom despite doing nothing for my fantasy team played a decent game.

Whats up with this Majestick guy? He's watching his team in their first ever top flight match mount an incredible comeback and he can't even crack a smile. Nothing is more unappealing than a rich old Ba$t*#d who refuses to be happy. At least Abromavich seems like a nice guy.

11. RDG

RDG Member

I saw the three FSC matches this afternoon: the sloshy one in Newcastle, the one with the empty seats at the Reabok, and the tape delay of Reading's first match in top flight football (cracking one that, eh?!)

My question is: WHAT IDIOT DECIDED TO HAVE A SCOREBOARD "RIBBON" AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN WHICH TOLD YOU THE OUTCOME OF THE MATCH BEFORE YOU HAD A CHANCE TO WATCH IT IN ITS ENTIRETY????!!!! There I was, semi-rooting for Reading, they're down 2-0 and the final score comes on the bottom of the screen!!!!

Ugh. :3d crying:

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I couldn't belive that! and they did it twice! I can't imagine the pain boro fans must have been in, up two-nil and then you see you lost. I really hope this is a one time mistake.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the first iteration of the Reading match, and the actually held off on giving the final score on the crawl until there was 5 minutes left. Bizarre.

I thought I'd send an email to FSC, but then I remembered that FSC is part of the same Rupert Murdoch empire, and Rupert doesn't give a toss for anyone. Or am I ranting?

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

You know, I watched it too. And I don't pay attention at all to the ribbon, so I never noticed it. But I did know score beforehand, because I listened to it online!!!! Great game--if you like Reading. :banana:

15. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Luckly my tv cuts the bottom line off when Im watching FSC.