About Clarkie; For the love of the game...

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Aug 21, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Much has been written esp on the Offal, about Fulham treating Lee Clark badly... and we can NOW surmise that he's playing for a lot less in wages in his hometown.

This is an advantage that MLS fans have.. or SOMETIMES it is, rather.

See if you can get to this:
    2005 MLS salaries.XLS

Note it's an Excel spreadsheet.

There are surprising figures on there. And it's apparent that MLS star player salaries must go DOWN, as their contributions decline, as well as up.

Preki is a prime example.

And there's only one reason for this... players that love to play.

The downside is that it may mean that some teams are saddled with players that tend to embarrass.. but that's subjective .. aint it?

- - - -

another current example is Jonny Walker, making 100,000 a year as MetroStars backup, taking league minimum for him (28,500) with the Crew who had no cap room, so he can play every game.
    Brilliant! Since he is exceeding all expectations and NEXT year will sign somewhere else for MUCH more

- - -- - -
    So now we are banking on.. I suppose Claus... to take up the leadership slack.
    The question: what if Clarkie had been more realistic.. or Cookie had offered same terms.