A little about me.......

Discussion in 'FulhamUSA Introductions and Announcements' started by Theoldguy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

A little about me......

I have never played the game, and to be quite frank, didn't even like the game, until my now seventeen year old daughter as a five year old told me she wanted to play soccer! Soccer I aked her, why not softball, or basketball, but she had been watching the World Cup 04 on TV and seemed to really enjoy it and even told me how the game was played or as best as a five year old could. Well I signed her up for Rec U6 soccer and at the first practice the Coach (he had coached his older sons in Club soccer and his oldest is now the head coach of NAIA powerhouse Union College) was looking for help. He asked the parents if anyone knew anything about the game, and of course no one raised their hand, then he asked if anyone had coached anything, and I raised my hand as I had coached a knothole baseball team for ten plus years without having a child on the team.... Well the rest is history. I have my F, E, D and was working on my C license when I blew my knee out and after having a heart attack the year before the boss (wife of now 36 years) told me to hang up my cleats.... We go to about six or seven Crew games a year, have been to the USA MNT qualifers (the best one against Mexico in Columbus in the cold), have been to see DC United in DC, have seen the WUSA women play in Cary, Atlanta and DC, went to the Womens WC in the USA, and go to the local college/HS games to see my girls who I coached play high school soccer now. 0h, we also have gone up to Crew Stadium to watch the WC this year, and will be going to see the Crew play Saturday July 8 and then to watch the WC 06 Finals which I hope will match France vs Italy.....

Why join FulhamUSA? Because after watching the best "Football" in the World, it's hard now to watch the MLS. Now don't get me wrong, as I wrote before I go to a lot of Crew games, but the MSL is like a single or manybe even a AA baseball league compared to the EPL, so this year I and my daughter decided to pick a EPL team to root for and since her faveritoe player is Brian McBride of course we picked Fulham. In another post I will be asking some question about the EPL and Fulham, and I hope I don't make a fool of myself, nor bore anyone with my questions but I have found through life that if you don't ask you won't learn.....

Theoldguy

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome aboard.

I got hooked pretty much the same way

3. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Its funny how the legend that is Brian McBride really motivates people to follow the game. The guy is an ambassador for the teams he plays on and yet he is still playing. Your daughter made a smart choice following him...a role model on and off the field.

I always say this but Fulham will give you highs and lows which in turn helps every fan appreciate a good 3 points.

COYW's

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It may not be all Brian, Mike... it might also be that rebuilding movable feast that is the Columbus Crew.

Better to find another team of interest than spend emotional capital worrying about if Sigi knows what he's doing.

;)

5. Bocacrumbs

Bocacrumbs New Member

Welcome 'Oldguy'. I've followed this site for sometime now and have just recently started posting my rantings. Being a former soccer chick, I know how my dad felt having to run around with me to tournaments and games. Good for you.

Fulham and Craven Cottage are fascinating and their local fans just adore Brian. As do many of us FUSA users.

Welcome aboard.

6. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

Re: RE: A little about me.......

I agree, it's hard to follow the Crew, as they seem to be always rebuilding, and as of late, that has been more of a curse, that a joy. :cry: I will say however that the staff that works for the Crew are some of the nicest folks you can find in any professional sport. They have always gone out of their way to treat us great, be it going to a Crew match are a MNT match.....Now if they could just go back to the Johnsonville Brats....Bob Evan's Brats, just don't have the flavor that JB's do....... :big grin:

7. Theoldguy

Theoldguy New Member

Re: RE: A little about me.......

Thanks.... I image that your Dad like me, enjoyed all the running around as much as you did, just because it made our girls happy... Us Dad are like that.... :D

Em wrote to his fan club years ago when he was still with the Crew and got a lot of nice stuff from them. Turns out his Mother was in charge of the fan club, and wrote a personal note to Em thanking her for coming to the games and rooting on her son.... Em still has the letter and all the stuff and on Monday morning bright and early (since I will be calling England lets see it is what five hours earlier there?) I will be ordering a new Fulham Jersey for her with McBride on the back with his number 20.....