Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by LBNo11, Sep 1, 2007.

1. LBNo11

LBNo11 Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

At first take I thought.. what a dum question!

After thinking about it for about 15 seconds, it's not dumb but I'll give the same qualified answer:

Beckham

with a big But.....

In four out of maybe five possible scenarios, I saw Beckham benefitting the world view of the US game. All of those, however, were based on his playing well for England. If he 'retired' or turned clunker on the pitch for his country, then the idiots who claimed he was over the hill would have been howling with certitude.

The mistakes made by himself and the Galaxy leading to the current situation have resultin the fabled 'one step back' after his forward moves. Now we'll have to wait until next season... perhaps.

McBride's contribution is immense, though. That's why it's not so dumb; not only did he help in his steady contributions for MLS {He was the very first player selected in the draft} but his US team play has elevated the sport, PLUS he was an instant fan favorite at Preston and Everton .. more so than Fulham.

But I've just had a great thought.. Beckham's going to ask for himself to be loaned.

Why not to Fulham! Can you imagine McBride and Becks on same team?

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I would have to say for the football/soccer fans in the USA then McBride. For the causal fan I would say Beckham. Both have great stories, but for me it is McBride all the way.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

It's Beckham, for many reasons that frustrate us McBride fans. And not to take anything away from Beckham, because he deserves the recognition.

But, the lack of recognition only adds to McBride's legacy with us "real" fans.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

They split this 2 part question.

Part I. McBride. Our goalies started giving the U.S. some credibility. While not alone Big Mac has earned the respect of the English fans in his various stays and raised the profile for other field players. Beckham won't enhance the US profile since most people think its a marketing contract in an inferior league.

Part II. Beckham. He has star quality or the "it" factor. More Americans have heard of him than McBride (even if its just the movie title). Brian could go anywhere in the States and not be recognized except for a small % of people.

6. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

Sadly I would have to go with Becks. Everyone seems to be a soccer guru these days when it comes to him and the Galaxy, but they have no idea who Brian is. Let alone know about his injury or anything like that.

Still ... I'll take more fans any way we can get them. It'll only be the building blocks for better things to come.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's going to be Becks. All everyone remembers from the NASL was the fact that Pele, Cruyff, Bobby Moore, George Best etc. played here, when the real story was Kyle Rote Jr. Here was the son and namesake of one of point football's greatest hero, playing another type of football and making a name for himself shoulder to shoulder with the top names in the game. I used to tell Brits in the pub that it would be as if Bobby Charlton Junior was playing baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals.

So, yeah; Becks. But here's my question for you, LBno11, where do you think Brian will rank in the pantheon of Fulham heroes 5 years from now? Will he still be talked about in reverent tones, or will he be just "that Yank who could play a bit" and pretty much forgotten?

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

"Kyle Rote Jr"
    Indeed... the MOST nationally recognized US player in the NASL. All the little kids either wanted to be Pele.. or Rote Jr. Dont recall a single one wanting to be Chinaglia.

9. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

At the risk of jumping in, McBride will be remembered and talked about for his profesionalism and contribution for long after he has gone. He will never be held in the same regard as pepople like Haynes and Gordon Davies.

Looking at the modern Fulham he will be remembered along with people like Saha, Boa, Malbranque, Sean Davis, Steve Finnan and EVDS.

10. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

No offense, but for McBride, there should be a level in between your top guys and the second level.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That's good company. Always glad to have you jump in, pard.